Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, everyone! I'm on the list to buy a golden that's due in a week (AHHH! :eek:), so we'll be taking him home in early February. Even though we've got two months to plan, I'm already desperate to raid the pet supply stores and buy everything he'll need. My husband, however, insists that it's too early. :p (Some people . . . smh.)

When you all got your puppy, how long ahead of time did you start to prepare? Did you buy everything all at once, or did you do it more gradually over time?

Thanks!

·
Kate
20,575 Posts
I'd definitely drop hints to everyone to buy me dog stuff for Christmas. Among else, you can get things like dog crates, dog beds, dog collars, leashes, and toys on sale. :)

And now is a good time to shop around for training facilities and either sign up for classes or talk to the training director so you have early notice and can get in there in time. Puppy classes fill very fast!

The other thing is talk to your breeder about kennels or hard sided carriers for when you take your pup home.

When I brought my youngest home back in June, I just borrowed a kennel/crate from the breeder. And I returned the crate after he outgrew it about a month and half later.

If there isn't a crate to borrow - then you need to pick one up. Can be anywhere between $30 and $60.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
My next puppy is coming home at some point in 2020, and I bought a lot of stuff over Black Friday because they were cheap. I even bought a crate knowing full well this puppy doesn't even exist yet and it's too small for my current boy to use. I don't necessarily recommend doing that. I might be a little crazy, but I do like being prepared ahead of time for huge things like bringing a puppy home.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I’ve been shopping since I got on the first list I was on in March. I bought a 42 inch crate, and a huge sturdy well built exercise pen. I picked up some blankets in the dollar section at target. And I am continually adding and revising my puppy shopping list! I have even joked about doing a puppy shower LOL.
My puppy was born on November 27th so I need to REALLY start shopping!
7CD699C8-63DE-4C51-BAEF-A75CD3FE9260_1575500485618.jpeg

·
Registered
53 Posts
Best thing that we bought was a seat protector for the car. We used it from the day we picked Gemma up from the breeder for the 4 hour trip home and still do. It's a wipe-down vinyl-canvas type with appropriate holes for seat belts, it attaches around the head-rests and covers the whole back seat. We use a towel on top for messy beach days.

There is no such thing as too early for puppy buying :)

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
Definitely read all the puppy training books, you'll be too busy to read them when the puppy arrives! :)

I would make a list of things you definitely need and ones you can pick up later. If you want to get a crate, baby/pet gates, and exercise pen from Craigslist or Nextdoor, I'd start hunting now.

·
Registered
59 Posts
To start you will need a crate, water bowl, good bowl, collar, leash, and something to chew on ( we bought a puppy nylabone). Puppy shampoo, nature's miracle, paper towels. A small stuffed animal ( it could be the longest lasting one you'll ever buy) and a ball ( tennis ball or we like racquetballs for a puppy).

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
Shopping for the puppy ahead of time is big fun! I prefer Amazon and Chewy.com over pet stores because they are generally less expensive, you can see reviews, and you can shop the clearance section for toys on Chewy. Also I agree with jomiel, read some training books now. One of my favorites was
https://www.amazon.com/Power-Positive-Dog-Training/dp/0470241845/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=power+of+positive+dog+training&qid=1575559444&sr=8-1

Rukie knew the basics of sit, stay, down in just a week or two using her methods.

·
Registered
6,472 Posts
My next puppy is coming home at some point in 2020, and I bought a lot of stuff over Black Friday because they were cheap. I even bought a crate knowing full well this puppy doesn't even exist yet and it's too small for my current boy to use. I don't necessarily recommend doing that. I might be a little crazy, but I do like being prepared ahead of time for huge things like bringing a puppy home.
I saw 22 crates on sale on BF for $17- that's a super price for a first crate and I almost bought several just to have for puppy people.. but quickly realized I am not a store...

·
Registered
227 Posts
So.... for the car seat protector set up. I have an expedition with 3 rows. Typically we keep the third row down and never use it. My kids are still in car seats (about to be 7 and 8 years old) so I don’t know if we can use those seat protectors. What would a second option be? Crate in the back?

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
Shopping for the puppy ahead of time is big fun! I prefer Amazon and Chewy.com over pet stores because they are generally less expensive, you can see reviews, and you can shop the clearance section for toys on Chewy. Also I agree with jomiel, read some training books now. One of my favorites was
https://www.amazon.com/Power-Positive-Dog-Training/dp/0470241845/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=power+of+positive+dog+training&qid=1575559444&sr=8-1

Rukie knew the basics of sit, stay, down in just a week or two using her methods.
Seconding the Power of Positive Dog Training, it's one of the best books I read to prepare for the puppy. Actually we are still working on some of the more advanced training from it.

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
So.... for the car seat protector set up. I have an expedition with 3 rows. Typically we keep the third row down and never use it. My kids are still in car seats (about to be 7 and 8 years old) so I don’t know if we can use those seat protectors. What would a second option be? Crate in the back?
Crate in the back would be the safest!

Tomo didn't like the crate with the door closed and I didn't really push it, so when he was a smaller puppy he sat in the bottom half of a plastic crate with the seats down. When he was a big bigger then we clipped a safety belt tether into the D ring and his halter, still with the seats down (making the sitting area higher than with the seats up). I know it's not the safest option but he really really enjoys putting his head out the window. He does get the car seats dirty with his muddy footprints though :(

·
Registered
41 Posts
The first thing we did early on was puppyproof and put gates up where we could. Knick knacks off tables, cords away or hidden, lamps relocated etc. puppy proofed the backyard as well as we could,too. We got the basics (toys, food, supplies) easily in one or two really fun trips. But getting the house ready for him took a bit of time and was worth it! I asked my breeder what size collar to buy and she replied “well, a small to start, then a medium then a large all within the first 6 months!” 🙂

·
Registered
6,472 Posts
Crate in car is always safest (and cleaner).
Dogs become projectiles in an accident and a crate offers some protection. I know people whose dogs only lived because they were in crates during an accident. And a couple who, had they not had crates to put in, would not have been able to remove their dog from the car in the hullaballoo of the accident.
Not wishing an accident on you! But safety first.

·
Kate
20,575 Posts
Crate in car is always safest (and cleaner).
Dogs become projectiles in an accident and a crate offers some protection. I know people whose dogs only lived because they were in crates during an accident. And a couple who, had they not had crates to put in, would not have been able to remove their dog from the car in the hullaballoo of the accident.
Not wishing an accident on you! But safety first.
The very least - you want pups to be in crates for the first couple months while they are very small and don't know car manners. You don't want to be distracted by your pup clambering around the car.

The last straw for me was back when my Jacks was a pup and I was taking him to puppy classes - usually at night. It was my very first experience raising a pup as an adult who actually was doing all the driving - vs sitting in the back seat with the dogs (LOL). So it was a shock to have a pup who was jumping on the dashboard and trying to climb into my lap while I was driving or eating mysterious things in the back seat.... he was also my first (and hopefully LAST) dog to jump out a window of a moving vehicle. o_O

That latter bit - I fortunately was on a dirt road and the people in the truck behind me were paying enough attention to come to a full stop when they saw him spring out of the car. The truck driver popped out to help me catch my dog and as he did, Jacks smoothly trotted right past him and hopped up into his truck like he'd decided to go home with somebody else.... :surprise:

Needless to say, by the time Bertie came along - I was planning on getting a crate. His breeder loaned me a crate until I bought my own. And truly I will NEVER EVER go back to having a young pup loose in the car while I'm driving.

Pups older than 4 months and well behaved in the car - my perspective is slightly different, but I'm not arguing with anyone who wants all dogs to be in crates. I'm of that generation before everyone had to be in seat belts and kids had to be in car seats. And literally I remember a time when kids under an age just sat in an older siblings lap or even up in the front seat between the parents. LOL. So I'm probably less stressed by some things that today's generation is stressed about. :smile2:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Our female is 6 months and still horribly naughty in a car. It's amazing what she can find to chew on when you are dricing6 and there isnt anything you can about it. Our male is super chill in the car and hasn't been in a crate for a long time. I do worry about what would happen to him in an accident, sometimes.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Something we did is we asked our four kids to act like puppies, crawl around on the floor on all fours, and look for stuff a puppy might find interesting. If it’s interesting to them, a puppy would find it interesting too. It became a good game and a good learning experience for the kids pre-puppy.

We also discovered a lot stuff to puppy proof!

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
To clarify, Tomo's harness is actually clipped to 2 tether belts in the car.

I moved where they tether to in the car to limit how far he can stick out out of the windows, after he jumped out of the window when he was a puppy! He was still clipped in so he hung from the side of the car.... Thankfully I was able to pull over and no one ran us over. He was unhurt but both of us were shaken up for a few minutes.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Many years ago a friend was hit broadside by someone driving 50+. Unfortunately her loose (well behaved) German Shepherd was thrown out of the window of the Subaru wagon. And she died.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
I saw 22 crates on sale on BF for $17- that's a super price for a first crate and I almost bought several just to have for puppy people.. but quickly realized I am not a store...
$17 is such a nice price! I didn't see any larger crates (36" and up) for that cheap. The new crate is a 36" (with a divider) that I got for $34. I'm hoping that's big enough, but if not, I have a 42" for Kaizer that he doesn't use anymore (his preferred crate is a soft crate).

ETA: In terms of the car - when Kaizer was a puppy, I was too young to drive (lol) so I often rode in the back with him. By the time I was old enough to drive, Kaizer was just under 2 and had driven in the car so much that he just laid down and slept. I have a seatbelt attachment for him and a car seat cover. I rarely roll down my windows, but Kaizer's pretty good about laying down even if window is down (and I never go all the way down, I worry about something flying in when I'm driving and hitting him).

I also have a crate (an RTK) in the back for him, but he didn't like it. I honestly never did anything to work with him on it, but it works out anyway cause I only have enough space to safely fit two dogs - one in the crate and one in the backseat. Puppy automatically gets the crate.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts