Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone!

I was thinking about when I groom my Goldens.

So...

when you do you groom yours?

Every week?
Once a month?
Every other month?
Once a year?

And...

who does your grooming?

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
I bathe the crew weekly. Afterwards, I squirt in the ear cleaner, and do teeth. Feet and nails are done when needed, usually every other week. Occasionally, I'll trim the hair inside the ears.

·
Joy of my heart
529 Posts
My two have never been to a groomer - I've always performed every aspect of their grooming: baths, trimming/cleaning ears, trimming/cleaning genital areas, trimming/cleaning paws, trimming/cleaning lip folds, trimming nails, brushing teeth, etc.

BATHS: Every 4-5 weeks (Aspen); Every 5-7 weeks (Goldie)
TRIMMING INNER EAR HAIR: Once per week (both)
CLEANING EARS: Depends on the time of year. In the summer, 2-3 times per week (Aspen); every other week
(Goldie). In the cooler months, once per week (Aspen); every other week (Goldie)
TRIMMING LIP FOLD HAIR: Once per week (both)
CLEANING LIP FOLDS: Every other week or as needed (both)
TRIMMING/CLEANING GENITAL AREA: Depends on the time of year. In the summer, about 2-3 times per month.
IN the cooler months, about once per month.
TRIMMING PAW HAIR: Once per week (Goldie); Once or twice per month (Aspen)
TRIMMING NAILS: Once per week (both)
BRUSHING TEETH: Once to twice per day (both)

I love every second of our grooming time. It is a great bonding time & a reinforcement of mutual trust & respect. :)

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
I brush the boys probably once a week. More in shedding season and less when it is not. Bathing I do on an as needed basis but most likely less than twice a year if I'm lucky. My guys do a lot of swimming in summer and take lots of good old snow baths in winter. In the Spring they might get hosed off with the garden hose if they get muddy.... I know, I'm a slacker. :p:

·
Joy of my heart
529 Posts
One of the points of providing routine grooming (not just baths) is for preventative health. Why wait till they're stinky & dirty? Wouldn't it be ideal to provide routine grooming to prevent them from getting to that point?

In regards to ear care, people are always saying that they only clean the ears when they notice that they're stinky & dirty, but whole point of cleaning the ears is to PREVENT them from getting stinky & dirty. This notion, again, it called preventative maintenance. If you realize that you you've slacked in this area, then start being proactive - they can't do these things themselves.

"The key to prevention is active intervention." SJR

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Bathe Jonah once a week. Trim nails weekly and will start working on his paws and ears as soon as I get the right tools.

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
One of the points of providing routine grooming (not just baths) is for preventative health. Why wait till they're stinky & dirty? Wouldn't it be ideal to provide routine grooming to prevent them from getting to that point?

In regards to ear care, people are always saying that they only clean the ears when they notice that they're stinky & dirty, but whole point of cleaning the ears is to PREVENT them from getting stinky & dirty. This notion, again, it called preventative maintenance. If you realize that you you've slacked in this area, then start being proactive - they can't do these things themselves.

"The key to prevention is active intervention." SJR
I've had dogs that needed their ears cleaned frequently and I did it frequently. I do look in my boys ears several times a week and they are always squeaky clean. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. With regular brushing and swimming my guys do not smell. Up here in Maine I like to leave as much of the natural oils as possible in their coats.

·
Registered
89 Posts
:eek: Whoa....ya'll have taught me a few things outside the basics (nails and ears).

The lip folds, hadn't occured to me. But the rest is sort of an as needed. (paw trim, butt bath.. etc):D

We can get really muddy out here but then again, some area's have some really nice mountain streams, hell she went most of the summer without a REAL bath and didn't smell a bit.
:wave:

·
Registered
958 Posts
My two have never been to a groomer - I've always performed every aspect of their grooming: baths, trimming/cleaning ears, trimming/cleaning genital areas, trimming/cleaning paws, trimming/cleaning lip folds, trimming nails, brushing teeth, etc.

Wow...thanks for the schedule.

I admit to having been a slacker. Baths and full grooming maybe twice a year.
Nails not near enough. We did try to do ears once every week or so, along with brushing.

Now that we have a new one on the way, perhaps it time to rethink some of the things we have done. Although, I doubt we will ever do as well with it as you do

·
Too addicted to this site
265 Posts
When Roxy's not getting rid of her coat I use a pin cushion brush about every other day - haven't had so much as a sniff of a matt in ages. Her feet get done when they start looking unruly and ears the same. I've just recently started doing her tail in a nice crescent shape as she'd pisk up all manner of rubbish in it in the woods and just wasn't practical.

With freddie, he gets his nails clipped when he's asleep, brushed about every other day and I check his teeth, ears back end and paws almost every day to get hiim used to it.

·
Joy of my heart
529 Posts
Wow...thanks for the schedule....Although, I doubt we will ever do as well with it as you do
That's just the grooming schedule that works best for us for preventative health. I am extremely detailed & particular with every aspect of their grooming needs - more so than most people because I have a different understand about those needs. I make the time for this & it really doesn't take long because they're used to it.

I created a program called Canine Essential Grooming Needs where I provide grooming to the areas of the body that are essential for preventative health - a level of detailed grooming that the majority of grooming technicians do not provide: Ears, Genital Area, Paws, Nails, & Lip Folds (if applicable). Dental care is certainly essential as well, but that is something I do not perform for others. I don't groom for "beauty," I groom for "health."

·
Old Gold is the Best Gold
18,122 Posts
Brushing and combing - every single day

Every week I bathe, blow dry, and do a basic trim- the toe fuzz/feet, the tail (show style), the hocks, tidy ear fuzz, and cut off whiskers. I also clean the ears even though they don't appear to need it. I cut the nails weekly too.

Never have to work out tangles or anything since I groom so often.

·
18,122 Posts
Mine don't have lip folds that crease or anything (I just have the light built type of Golden, and my other two dogs are Whippets and super clean)... and get entirely bathed weekly anyway (and rinsed more often than that). But I also have never been to a groomer... and have never had the need. I also agree about keeping them clean- why let them get disgusting? If mine do get disgusting, it's because of a particular walk on a given day, and they don't even get back in my car without being cleaned up first.

·
Joy of my heart
529 Posts
...and cut off whiskers. I also clean the ears even though they don't appear to need it....
Hehe, now trimming the whiskers is something I just cannot do! I love those whiskers because it gives them such a puppy-like appearance! :D

Regarding your comment about how the ears "appear to not need" it is not true. They need frequent cleaning to PREVENT problems. Cleaning the ears isn't just about keeping them free of wax/debris, as it is equally about keeping them DRY down inside the ear canals, which is why it's so crucial to use a product that balances the ph with in the ear. This means it will maintain the proper moisture level to PREVENT ear infections from occurring as a result of a buildup of moisture. When moisture gets trapped inside the ear canals due to the heavy flaps covering up the opening, that is how problems begin - the moisture down inside the ear must be balanced. Moisture is a breeding ground for bacteria & yeast not just within the ears but everywhere on the body. When moisture gets trapped against the skin, that is when problems begin. This is also why it's so important to keep them DRY (drying their tummies & bottoms areas especially when coming in from the rain, snow, swimming, etc.).

In terms of basic hygiene, excess moisture is a dogs worst nightmare because it can cause a multitude of problems.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I bathe Kailey and Jackson once a week. When necessary, I give them a full groom (bath, nails, ears, feet, tail, and hocks). I usually clip their nails once a week too.

Oh...and their whiskers are cut.

·
18,122 Posts
Well they still APPEAR not to need it ;)

But I totally agree, which is why I do clean them. That said, I have never EVER in my life had a dog with an ear infection, and I live in a hot, humid climate and my dogs swim almost every day. So something's right! May be the cleaning, may be the food... I think it's both and the exercise (I think exercise is horrifically neglected as a cure/preventative for many things, and is at least as important to health as diet is).

Of course Whippets are not an ear issue breed anyway, but even the Goldens I have had (and still have) have no issues.

I am all about DRYING, I have a professional dryer and I never let my Golden stay wet!!!! I admit I do it for health AND beauty... I'd cry if I had to cut off any of her feathering!

1 - 20 of 52 Posts