Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
AKA Paul
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I checked Jake's collar this morning and I could barely get a finger under it so I had to remove it until I get another one. Three weeks ago, I had adjusted it to it's maximum of 22 inches and it was very loose at that time. Every time I weigh him, he still continues to fill out and gain more weight. He is currently at just over 95 lbs and is 26 1/2" to the top of the shoulder. At 9 1/2 months I thought that he might stop growing but not yet it appears. At what age can I expect him to stop growing?

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
He is big for a golden, can you post pics?

Noah reached his full height about 12-15 months. His weight continued - and he ended up a little over weight. Now we have that under control.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Wow...26 1/2"....he's a tall boy. Bone growth really tapers off between 8 and 9 motnhs, but it does continue through the 15th months. He will continue to fill out through about 24 months.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Some years ago I read that Goldens mature physically at about 24 months and mentally at 30 to 36 months.

Every Golden I've had tied in roughly with those figures.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Wow, he is handsome! My Golden is also 9 months and right after Thanksgiving his collar was to the max length and fit fine. I took it off to put on a christmas collar and 2 days ago i went back to put on the other one and it wouldn't even come close to latching closed. There was like a 2 inch gap. So maybe this is a time where they really have a growth spurt. My boy is 63 pounds though. 95 pounds is really big for a golden, I think. I wouldn't imagine he'd grow much more.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Even though the bones stop by about 15 months, they may continue to fill out & gain weight to about 3 years old.
It is very hard to tell from that photo but he might look a tad heavy. My 1st Golden was definitely overweight. Just watch closely. What does the vet say. Somewhere on this site is a chart to help you jusdge if your Golden is to heavy or too thin.

·
I ♥ Bailey and Annie!
1,785 Posts
I have no idea, but you have one good looking pup! What a handsome boy!

·
Registered
68 Posts
i can't answer your question as i've never had a golden before the one i just got last month, but just out of curiosity, do you by any chance remember how much he weighed at 12 weeks? he is adorable by the way :)

·
Registered
233 Posts
I thought that average male only got up to 85 lbs. So at only 9 months 95 pounds sounds rather large. What kind of food do you use? How much does he eat? Just curious. Are his parents on the larger side?

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I agree with Taz, from the photo, your boy looks a tad heavy. Please don't take offense. From my photos, I would look a tad heavy too!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts