Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Don
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all hope you had a wonderful Christmas!
Tess and I went to visit a breeder today with the possibility of get a puppy once the pregnancy is confirmed and we are very excited.All the clearances are in perfect order for both the sire and dam.
My question is the bitch was bred last on the 9th of December I saw her today with another female and she doesn't look remotely pregnant.
The breeder said they are taking to the vet next week for a conformation, but are unsure if she is.
Wouldn't she be showing by now?

·
Don
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So still possible?
The breeder said this is their first litter in 6 years and this bitches first.
The lady said that with past litters the nipples changed by week 3 but she hasn't seen this happen yet.She was very sweet and did not wont to get are hopes up to much.
Fingers crossed

·
Kate
20,700 Posts
So still possible?
The breeder said this is their first litter in 6 years and this bitches first.
The lady said that with past litters the nipples changed by week 3 but she hasn't seen this happen yet.She was very sweet and did not wont to get are hopes up to much.
Fingers crossed
Wait and see by next week at least?

Fingers crossed it all works out for you. <B

·
Registered
6,640 Posts
I think it takes an eye for a loin hair flip at such an early time- its the only thing I have ever seen before at least 4.5 weeks from ovulation and at the 4.5wk place it's nipple changes. Sometimes. Not always that early.

·
Don
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks a bunch for the reassurances.Right just waiting(with our fingers crossed) for the breeder to get back to us sometime late next week

·
where the tails wag
13,346 Posts
An ultrasound will show heartbeats around a month, the hair flip & nipple changes may be subtle until closer to 5 weeks when it is noticeable, around 6 weeks the dam will often noticeably start gaining girth if she is carrying a largish litter and will be eating twice her normal feed .... this is in my experience, others may have different time frames, BTW: for my Towhee's 1st litter we had reservations about her pregnancy until she whelped -- 8 healthy puppies but she carried them so high her girth did not change noticeably.

All that said, dams can resorb any and all puppies until very late in the pregnancy -- the earlier U/S shows heartbeats, the XRays taken by some breeders shortly before whelping will show skeletons but not necessarily viable puppies.

Once the puppies are born alive, it takes a few days to make final counts for males/females -- the first few days puppies are fragile.

Nature takes her own time, the breeder will do her best to keep you up to date, but needs to concentrate on her dam & pups :)

BTW: I know it is very hard sometimes, but try to not visit the pups until they are at least 3, preferably 4, weeks...they just don't have immune systems of their own yet.

·
Don
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We got an update yesterday and some pictures!First due date is February 7. The breeder said she still is barely showing and they are expecting one or 2 puppies.The ultrasound showed one but the breeder said it was hard to see and there could be more.I'm hoping for at least 2 as we have first pick after the breeder.
Do any of you have experience with a bitch that was small (barely showing at all) and ended up with a larger litter?
Really hoping this works out and that we get a puppy!

·
where the tails wag
13,346 Posts
My Towhee's first litter has us wondering until whelping. She carried high and barely showed at all

She whelped 8 beautiful & healthy pups :)

Depends where the pups are being carried, but Towhee's case is not typical.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts