Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just curious as to roughly what age the big fluffy long hair in goldens tails develop. Murphy's is growing, but pretty slow, and I'm really looking forward to that beautiful long tail hair.

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
It usually takes a while. Tucker's tail really started blossoming at around 6 or 7 months old. Goldens don't achieve their full adult coats and feathering until they around 2 years old and some even take longer than that.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone! I think I was just worried that I'd end up with the one golden who never got long hair on their tail, lol.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Bogey is going to be two and still has practically no tail. I trim it every 10-14 days to encourage growth and bathe him regularly, but some dogs just don't have big tails. You could ask your breeder, if you are in touch with them, about the dog's parents and when they got their tails.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just sent the breeder an email and asked if she by chance has any pictures of mom and dad's tails. I don't remember what they look like so I'd love to have a reminder. :p:

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
Hank's tail is starting to get fluffy, he's 6 months. You really can't tell from his pic I posted for his 1/2 Birthday, it's fanned the other way.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts