Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Esquire Golden Retrievers
4,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gibbs is 9 months old. I keep waiting for him to get some back skull. He could really use more. At what age do Goldens' heads develop? Or should I just expect him to have what he has now?

Here are photos of Gibbs and his sire.

Gibbs (puppy)

Sonny (dad)

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Rocket also has a narrower head than I had hoped he might. And he does have a knowledge bump, and has from pretty much the beginning. His head is more "pretty" than "manly". LOL!!! I keep waiting to see if it will broaden out at all.

·
Beware of Nestle Purina
5,715 Posts
I think they both have nice looking heads. My poor Bentley has the long narrow head which is not so attractive. He's lucky I love him no matter what though. :)
View attachment 247473

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
I hope you never tell him what you think of his head. You could really hurt his feelings- Implying any part is his is not attractive is horrible of you :no:

jk:p:

·
Registered
260 Posts
I think they will have an immature looking or somewhat puppyish looking head until they are closer or past 24 months.
Thanks for this. Fannin still has his puppy face at 18 months and I was beginning to think he'd always have it ;)

·
Kate
21,295 Posts
One thing I do have to add just as a caution... if the dogs are left intact, they are more likely to develop that full crest (genetics providing). It's not always for sure, but in general.

·
Bentley's mom
2,138 Posts
One thing I do have to add just as a caution... if the dogs are left intact, they are more likely to develop that full crest (genetics providing). It's not always for sure, but in general.
I'm waiting to neuter Bentley until 18mos (if we can make it that long) and hope he has many benefits for the wait. :)

·
Registered
21,127 Posts
If you look at him at 8 weeks old, you'll have a better feel for what his adult head will look like. At 8 weeks they are a miniature version of their adult self.
After that, they go through the weird stages, and you just have to wait it out.
These photos didn't come out in the order I wanted, but you can see what I mean.
Top photo is 6 months old. "paper bag stage".
Eight week old photo next to mature head photo. Note the similarity in the structure of the head between the 2 photos. The 6 month one is very different.

Attachments

·
Bentley's mom
2,138 Posts
Wow looking at the thread with all the photos was pretty neat.
Bentley at 8 wks
ImageUploadedByPG Free1377116076.555168.jpg ImageUploadedByPG Free1377116084.941941.jpg
I guess his nose was long then too but I didn't really notice it so much. Couldn't get past all the fluff. Lol
He may be destined for a long nose but hoping his head gets more girth to balance it out later on.
ImageUploadedByPG Free1377116279.688040.jpg ImageUploadedByPG Free1377116293.004863.jpg
(Don't let him know I showed you the last pic. He'd be so embarrassed)

·
Kate
21,295 Posts
Barb - I'm going to just keep my fingers crossed for Bertles....

It's tough to tell with him though because I'm always comparing his head to Jacks and Danny who both had very big heads early on.... :)

·
Registered
355 Posts
This was Kuy at 10 weeks, when I got him...

And the awkward stage, around 6 months. Seriously, so awkward lol

Right about one year old...

And just recently, at two...

I've always loved his head... Except during the awkward phase when everyone thought he was a lab :uhoh: But he gets his good looks from his momma :) It's neat to see how they develop. I also wanted to note that he is still intact. I'm sure that has plenty to do with development, but I know genetics also plays a pretty good role in it as well. Because seriously, save the color difference, his head looks like a slightly more masculine version of his mother's lol

·
Registered
3 Posts
I think they both have nice looking heads. My poor Bentley has the long narrow head which is not so attractive. He's lucky I love him no matter what though. :)
View attachment 247473

Hi I was searching for when does a Goldie’s head broaden when I came across your post. It’s 7 years on now did his head develop?
I have 9 month old pup that looks so similar. I lost my 13 year old boy last year who had the most stunning bear like head.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Lol I just saw this post and was like, “Wait, Why is Dana asking this question?” Lol

I’m obsessed with the head on my almost 8 month old girl. Even her breeder keeps talking about her head. So I’m very excited as she grows it 🤣

1 - 20 of 21 Posts