Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

61 - 78 of 78 Posts

·
Puddles
3,818 Posts
I do have to admire your optimistic patience. Not one of my better qualities. You could at least contact AKC to verify the litter was registered recently :) And would be followed by a complaint letter if it was not. And possibly a certified letter to the breeder requesting at least a partial refund as your purchase agreement was for an AKC registered puppy. Small claims court is easy to file in.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I would be more than a little pissed at this point. Even if they snail mailed the application, they should have had it by now.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
I do have to admire your optimistic patience. Not one of my better qualities.
I'm not uber patient, either. But, this ship has already sailed (i.e., we have Kona, and that deal is not getting unwound without a whole lot of "family issues" 😲🤣). So, this will all work out, and there's not real fuse on the efforts, nor the results. Worst case? We learned an important, and somewhat costly, lesson...and ended up with a sweetheart of a golden. 😃

Side benefit? Keeping some perspective on all this helps to make it not become a major impediment to enjoying life-in-general.

You could at least contact AKC to verify the litter was registered recently :) And would be followed by a complaint letter if it was not.
Already done, twice. Both times, the litter had not. Which is why I called back to let the breeder know that I knew (and, that I was monitoring progress with the AKC). Since I am now dealing directly with the breeder (vice his kennel manager), I'm okay with "resetting the timers".

And possibly a certified letter to the breeder requesting at least a partial refund as your purchase agreement was for an AKC registered puppy. Small claims court is easy to file in.
If it gets this far, and I'm optimistic that it won't, then I'll pursue this. But, I'm likely to "go bigger" than small claims. Not out of any spirit of retribution, but more to make sure it doesn't happen to others. And, by the time I add up all my costs, we're no longer in small claims. 😲😁

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
I would be more than a little pissed at this point. Even if they snail mailed the application, they should have had it by now.
Sadly, my experience is that the only person negatively affected by me going high-and-right...tends to be "me" (and my family, who ends up having to deal with my resultant attitude). So, "patience" and "even temperament" are more self-preservation strategies than they are "admirable social skills". 😁

·
Puddles
3,818 Posts
Because you have pursued it this far it would be sad to not finish it. If for no other reason but to help others avoid this same issue. My guess.... and only a guess, your entire litter owners (and who knows how many other litters) may be struggling through the very same thing. LOL as creative as you are ... go public Local news with a consumer advocate reporter? Buy a nice large add in the local paper? Picket in front of his facility? But would certainly file a complaint to the AKC, in writing. They frown on forged or unfiled paperwork. I would feel scammed and as long as everyone let's it go, it will continue.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Because you have pursued it this far it would be sad to not finish it. If for no other reason but to help others avoid this same issue. My guess.... and only a guess, your entire litter owners (and who knows how many other litters) may be struggling through the very same thing. LOL as creative as you are ... go public Local news with a consumer advocate reporter? Buy a nice large add in the local paper? Picket in front of his facility? But would certainly file a complaint to the AKC, in writing. They frown on forged or unfiled paperwork. I would feel scammed and as long as everyone let's it go, it will continue.
I don't believe in "going public" (I think it's used way too much) unless there's a public benefit (i.e., making others aware of a rampant situation) to others for doing so. With that said, (a) I do believe there are some unusual conditions involved here, and am still willing to give the breeder some time/room to get everything in order, and (b) I will, one way or the other, see this through (and, let y'all know how it works out). 😁

·
Premium Member
18,094 Posts
Is AKC registration important to you, other than you paid for a registered puppy, do you specifically want your dog to be registered?

·
Premium Member
18,094 Posts
Is AKC registration important to you, other than you paid for a registered puppy, do you specifically want your dog to be registered?

And I do want you to get your registration! I was just curious.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #69 (Edited)
In another time, my answer would have been "no, AKC registration is not that important to me". Even now, it's not "personally important" (i.e., I have zero aspirations for showing or breeding). But, I want to be able have test results posted to OFA. I'm planning on doing all the tests for my own awareness, but also think it will be beneficial for others to have this information available (I plan on posting both "passed" and "failed" tests).

At another level, I paid for an AKC breed from a specific set of parents. Not that I don't trust the breeder, but the AKC paperwork is the best evidence that Kona is, indeed, what the breeder presented her as. I know I overpaid for her. I did so knowingly, as I was willing to trade some $$$ for the convenience of timing and availability. But, even though my better-half has informed me that Kona's worth every penny, it would be a bit more disappointing that I overpaid for something I didn't get. 😁

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Update...

It's been a while (16 days) since my last post. In the meantime, I've been impatiently waiting.

And?

(drumroll please...) We received a call today that Kona's paperwork has come in! 😁 In keeping with the overall experience, the paperwork actually arrived a few days ago...but got temporarily misplaced as the breeder's office spaces are undergoing updating and renovation. 😂🤣😂 Lest anyone feels a need to be indignant on our behalf, I actually find this whole experience to be somewhat amusing (now that it appears to be resolving). Sometimes, in our hyper-efficient world, it's refreshing (at times) to be reminded that we are still "a world of people".

We plan on going up to get the paperwork next weekend, which will also allow for a "homecoming" for Kona and a visit with the breeder's staff. 😁

·
Premium Member
18,094 Posts
I'm glad it appears it will be resolved! Do you know what paperwork you are getting? If the breeder sent in his registration the AKC would have mailed the registration certificate to you, the owner.

Is it just the litter registration they got? I'm just curious because all of this can be done online, and doesn't really require you to pick up any papers from the breeder. They could have gotten the registered name you want from you and submitted it online.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
I'm glad it appears it will be resolved! Do you know what paperwork you are getting? If the breeder sent in his registration the AKC would have mailed the registration certificate to you, the owner.

Is it just the litter registration they got? I'm just curious because all of this can be done online, and doesn't really require you to pick up any papers from the breeder. They could have gotten the registered name you want from you and submitted it online.
I have a feeling it is the litter registration, and then we will need to send in actual paperwork (or, use the paperwork so that we can register online). The only name we provided to the breeder is a "call name" (although, in fairness, I wouldn't be distressed if the breeder selected her "registered name").

As much as anything, the drive up is mostly just a "social thing", an opportunity to say "hi" and let the folks who worked with her for the first 4 1/2 months to see how she's doing. I guess that's a benefit of living just a few minutes drive from the breeder.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
Just to bring closure to this thread...

We drove up to the breeder's, visited a bit, and picked up Kona's papers. I then went online and finished out the final registration entries. Her AKC name is "Shadalane Island Breeze", carrying on in the vein of her dam "Shadalane's Summer Breeze".

Thanks for all the information and support.

61 - 78 of 78 Posts