Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been a bit over four (4) weeks since we brought Kona home, and we're still waiting on AKC papers. I checked online, and it sounds like AKC could take up-to-18-working-days to send out papers. So, given the current situation with COVID-19 shutdowns and distancing mandates, I can see it taking a bit longer.

But...

It's a bit surprising to me that the breeder didn't already have AKC papers "in hand", since Kona was at 20-weeks when we brought her home. Is this a "wait for the new owner to provide a name" thing? Or, should I expect some "registered puppy" form, which we then use to submit an actual name, etc.?

We have kept in contact with the breeder, and it seems we're waiting on AKC.

·
Super Moderator
653 Posts
I'm a little confused, did you get Kona's paperwork? Or did the breeder register Kona for you and you're waiting for Kona's registration certificate?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm a little confused, did you get Kona's paperwork? Or did the breeder register Kona for you and you're waiting for Kona's registration certificate?
It sounds like we are waiting for paperwork, so that we can then register Kona. We've been in contact with the breeder, and nothing seems "amiss". Just it "seemed like" maybe "getting the paperwork" is something that could have already been done.

We had a decent experience with the breeder, but, sometimes, it seems like logistics take a bit longer than I would like. :( Then again, I've been told (more than once) that I'm not the easiest person to satisfy when it comes to schedules. :D

·
Super Moderator
653 Posts
Ah. So, the AKC can take awhile to get the litter paperwork, the breeder usually submits the litter for registration either when they're born or 2 - 3 weeks after and they know the puppies are strong.

Anyway, the litter paperwork will get to the breeder within 2 - 4 weeks USUALLY, I'm not sure what is going on with Covid. The breeder then gives the paperwork to each owner when the puppy goes home. In our case, our breeder registered Felix for us.

So, your breeder should definitely have Kona's registration paperwork, the paperwork should not be going to you as you didn't breed the litter. However, if you have the registration numbers of the parents, you may be able to contact the AKC about the state of the litter registration paperwork.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ah. So, the AKC can take awhile to get the litter paperwork, the breeder usually submits the litter for registration either when they're born or 2 - 3 weeks after and they know the puppies are strong.
Ergo, part of my confusion about the timing/delays.

Kona was already at 18 weeks when we decided to get her. I have to assume that "other litter mates" had already found homes. So, it would make sense (to me) that the litter had already been registered.

At this point, I figure it's a "wait and see" scenario.

·
Super Moderator
653 Posts
Ergo, part of my confusion about the timing/delays.

Kona was already at 18 weeks when we decided to get her. I have to assume that "other litter mates" had already found homes. So, it would make sense (to me) that the litter had already been registered.

At this point, I figure it's a "wait and see" scenario.
Your breeder should DEFINITELY have the paperwork and thensome. And if they don't have the paperwork, they should know why there is a delay in getting the paperwork.

·
Puddles
3,684 Posts
It's been a bit over four (4) weeks since we brought Kona home, and we're still waiting on AKC papers. I checked online, and it sounds like AKC could take up-to-18-working-days to send out papers. So, given the current situation with COVID-19 shutdowns and distancing mandates, I can see it taking a bit longer.

But...

It's a bit surprising to me that the breeder didn't already have AKC papers "in hand", since Kona was at 20-weeks when we brought her home. Is this a "wait for the new owner to provide a name" thing? Or, should I expect some "registered puppy" form, which we then use to submit an actual name, etc.?

We have kept in contact with the breeder, and it seems we're waiting on AKC.
If I understand your question correctly you are asking about the process of getting your puppy reg. with AKC.
When the litter is born the breeder can go online and register the litter which acknowledges AKC they have puppies. Like it's been said this can happen anytime in the 1st month or so but should have happened long before picking Kona up.

MOST breeders provide you with an individual puppy reg. (blue) form for you to send it.

This was one of those simple questions I failed to ask my older girls breeder as this is the way all my previous pups were registered.
This breeder registered the litter but demanded that SHE would register each puppy as soon as I provided her with a AKC name to put on the application. I provided this info. but 5 weeks later still no papers.
She had a host of excuses/reasons for not having done so. So again I waited. A month later papers finally arrived and she had decided to make herself a co-owner. According to AKC she cannot do this without my permission. Breeder tells me she co-owns all her puppies, this was a lie.
After many complaints filed and many phone calls AKC finally said the breeder checked the "owner approval" box by mistake and the breeder rescinded her position as co-owner. This simple process took another 2 months and it was 4 yrs ago so Covid was not a factor.

My situation aside, if you did not receive a blue puppy registration form you will need to get the breeder to send you one. If the breeder has taken the position of filing all the puppy registrations (after you provided a reg. name) you will need to contact the breeder to get this done.

Some people never get a response from the breeder, in this case you can appeal to the AKC to get them but must provide sire/dam information and proof of purchase.

My last pup was 16 weeks old and when I picked up the pup Prism had all the paper work showing the pup had already been registered, litter reg. so all that was needed was assuming ownership for both AKC and the microchip. Easy peasy.

There have been lay offs at AKC so pretty sure anything that is done electronically will go much faster than having to get them involved. I would still expect it to take a couple of months from the time it is filed. AKC will send you an electronic copy and a hard copy will come later.

·
Kate
21,060 Posts
Sometimes there are complications and extra hoops depending on the number of people involved....

Breeder sometimes is at the mercy of waiting for the stud owner to fill out and sign off their portion of the paperwork being sent to AKC. If the litter had been a surgical ai, that means that breeder, stud owner, AND the vet all have stuff to fill out and sign off on.

If sire has been used a number of times, or is foreign registration - there's dna tests that need to be done, required by AKC.

If dog was purchased at 4 months or whatever - there might be an extra complication of transfer of ownership.

Also - AKC might be shortstaffed right now.

If breeder owns both the stud and bitch and did the litter at home - probably no excuse for not having everything taken care of and paperwork sent home at 8 weeks with the new owners.

·
the party's crashing us
4,222 Posts
Breeder sometimes is at the mercy of waiting for the stud owner to fill out and sign off their portion of the paperwork being sent to AKC.
This is done online and literally takes a minute.

If the litter had been a surgical ai, that means that breeder, stud owner, AND the vet all have stuff to fill out and sign off on.
Not true. AKC doesn't care how the litter is bred. Only caveat is a "frequently used sire" or any litter bred via frozen semen must have AKC DNA file on the sire.

AKC is traditionally very quick to handle registration issues. That's their business. There's no excuse for you to not have your individual registration application by now, other than sloppy handling by the breeder. Only exception may be a sire with a non-AKC foreign registration.

Canadian Kennel Club is a totally different ball of wax. They take an unbearably long time to do anything.

·
Kate
21,060 Posts
This is done online and literally takes a minute.

Not true. AKC doesn't care how the litter is bred. Only caveat is a "frequently used sire" or any litter bred via frozen semen must have AKC DNA file on the sire
*** I think the technical thing is if AKC doesn't know, AKC doesn't need to know - and just cut that corner. ;)

However, per the below, you do need to jump hoops if you are being honest re litter was done by surgical AI and vet was involved.

http://images.akc.org/pdf/freshse.pdf <- this is the form that all 3 parties (if breeder, stud owner, and vet) need to all work together to fill out. Hopefully it's something that is done early and/or when litter has been confirmed....

·
Esquire Golden Retrievers
4,191 Posts
By the time the puppy is 18 weeks old...and now a few more weeks that you've had her...registration should definitely be available to you. Something is wrong. What does the breeder say? What's their excuse?

When we send puppies home at 9 weeks, we sit down with the buyer and register the puppy online that day. They get an email confirmation the same day, and I think it has a registration certificate and a 3-gen pedigree. As breeder, we get a discount for registering the entire litter, so that's what we do, and the registration is part of what you get when we send a puppy home with you. And that's at 8-9 weeks. It has now been more than twice as long for your breeder. And I know that litter's parents, and there should not be a problem.

Something is up.

·
Registered
7,384 Posts
The whole 'frozen' and 'surgical' pieces don't matter in this case, but yes, as recently as last fall, there IS additional paperwork for those scenarios.
The normal breeding scenario is this: breeder whelps litter, breeder registers the litter. Within 2 weeks but usually way faster AKC mails individual applications to the breeder to, in theory, give out when puppies go home.
If your breeder is saying they do not have those individual applications, that implies they did not register the litter recently. It's a low cost thing, like, $2 per puppy and something like $25 on top of that so a litter of 5 would cost $35 to get the paperwork sent to the breeder.
Then the buyer (or the breeder, if the breeder does it for everyone) sends in the individual apps, for a cost of $35 or so, and they email and drop in the PO mail to the new owner. If it's done online it is literally less than 10 minutes to get the email version.
I am suspicious of your scenario SoCal- there is no reason for the application not to be in your hands when you leave w an 18 week old puppy- none at all . What I can imagine is said puppy went home @ 8 weeks, was returned, you weren't told, they sent in the papers to transfer to themselves so they can then transfer to you, and maybe that'd take a couple-three weeks but even that is a stretch. If you have sire X dam info, call AKC and ask -tell them you never got papers- their number is 919-233-9767

·
Registered
7,384 Posts
Puddles, the blue form hasn't been around in so long I had forgotten it til I read your post! I remember that paper even had a weird feel to it... but ..nowadays, it is white, with a yellow/red/blue outline to the various sections...thanks for that nice memory!

·
the party's crashing us
4,222 Posts
*** I think the technical thing is if AKC doesn't know, AKC doesn't need to know - and just cut that corner. ;)

However, per the below, you do need to jump hoops if you are being honest re litter was done by surgical AI and vet was involved.
What if you breed your bitch all to the same sire via vaginal AI, natural then a surgical?
I've never had to fill out any special paperwork depending on what method of AI we've used. Last year alone I owned the sire for at least a dozen litters. It is very common to breed several different methods for coverage of one litter.
Maybe there's something different the breeder has to indicate but as the stud dog owner, we simply don't have anything different to do. Frozen being the exception but I haven't done one of those in probably ten years.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
By the time the puppy is 18 weeks old...and now a few more weeks that you've had her...registration should definitely be available to you. Something is wrong. What does the breeder say? What's their excuse?
I was a little surprised when we showed up to pick up Kona and there was no AKC paperwork, as this was 2-weeks after putting a deposit down on a puppy that was 18-weeks old. The breeder (or, more accurately) the person managing the operation for the breeder, seemed to be a-bit-behind on "procedural stuff" throughout our 2-week interaction.
When we picked Kona up, we were told that the breeder would "submit paperwork" (probably should have dug a li'l deeper, but...) and would forward this as soon as AKC responded. We texted earlier this week, and the response was "still waiting on AKC".

When we send puppies home at 9 weeks, we sit down with the buyer and register the puppy online that day. They get an email confirmation the same day, and I think it has a registration certificate and a 3-gen pedigree. As breeder, we get a discount for registering the entire litter, so that's what we do, and the registration is part of what you get when we send a puppy home with you. And that's at 8-9 weeks. It has now been more than twice as long for your breeder. And I know that litter's parents, and there should not be a problem.

Something is up.
Yes, we're now at 24 weeks for Kona, 7 weeks since we put a deposit down, and 5 weeks since we picked her up. While I'm not familiar with the process, this doesn't seem like I how I would expect the timing to work out. We do have the contract with identification of sire/dam with names and AKC #s, and my prior experience with this breeder gives me no reason not to trust their intent, but a bit of concern about some of their organizational skills (especially given that their set up looks to be a commercial breeder).

For-what-it's-worth, the breeder doesn't seem to be evasive, and has asked if we'd be willing to bring Kona back up for a visit when the AKC paperwork does come in.

I may, since I have the AKC #s on the parents, pursue the matter from the AKC-end of the pipe and see where things are at.

·
Registered
7,384 Posts
That's probably best- just ask AKC yourself.
They are working, they only laid off the field reps.. everyone else is still working, and they have always worked from home (the phone people) so nothing has changed on that front.
Now- if for some reason the litter was never registered, that would be problematic.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts