Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Cooper turns 1 January 1st! and hes been on Blue buffalo large breed puppy since about 8-9 weeks old.
Im just wondering when im supposed to switch him to "adult" food.

When did YOU switch your pups food to adult food? :wavey:

*EDIT* gosh after doing some searching on the forum i see that ALOT of people switched at 5-7 months of age!
Coopers dad is 80lbs, and his mom 52lbs. and he i would say is right about at 60.(let me go weigh him...) Should i have switched him months ago?
*Edit* scratch that! he weighs 69lbs! lol

·
Registered
410 Posts
Harvey is 9 months today and I just switched him to adult food a few weeks ago. I was searching on here though and it seems most people recommend switching earlier than that. Not completely sure why. I don't think it's as important if it's a large breed puppy food though. Hopefully more people will chime in because I'm curious about this too.

It seems when I did the search on here, a lot of people switched around 5 or 6 months and some peole did it really early or didn't even use puppy food.

My vet actually recommended doing an all ages food from the start but Harvey didn't like it so we just did the large breed puppy food :)

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
I switched Sam to adult food when he was about 4 months old. I did it that early mainly because of his allergies... but it seems to be fairly common around here to switch around the age of 5-6 months old.

·
They get it
4,446 Posts
I don't feed puppy food. I have had one too many surgeries due to puppies growing too fast to take a chance any more. Even the large breed puppy food encourages faster growth than I like. I am sure many will disagree, but to each their own.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So the more protein in a dog food the faster the dog grows right? I cant remember exactly if thats what it was... i did my research a year ago lol

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
We switched when Tucker was between 6 and 7 months old. I plan on switching our new pup a little sooner, probably when he's around 5 months.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Almost forgot to mention- I didn't wait till 8 months on purpose. I just lost track of time and then had a huge bag of puppy food to use up before making the switch. I had been planning to do it around 6 months.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
I don't feed puppy food. I have had one too many surgeries due to puppies growing too fast to take a chance any more. Even the large breed puppy food encourages faster growth than I like. I am sure many will disagree, but to each their own.
I've read this reasoning many times and don't understand it. Why would large breed puppy food make them grow too fast? I feed Innova LBP. Hank is almost 6 mos. and probably weighs somewhere between 45-50 lbs.

Here a side-by-side comparison -

Innova Large Breed Puppy
Protein - 24%
kcal (1 cup) 367

Innova Puppy
Protein - 28%
kcal (1 cup) 454

Innova Large Breed Adult
Protein - 25%
kcal (1 cup) 380

Innova Adult
Protein - 25.42%
kcal (1 cup) 504

I'm not trying to start an argument, but am trying to make an informed decision as to when to switch Hank to an adult formula. If higher protein & higher calories = too fast growth, wouldn't it make sense to keep him on the LBP formula which has lower calories & protein for longer?

·
They get it
4,446 Posts
Good point. But we didn't have Innova available. I like to keep around 25% protein with puppies. One vet I talked to even said to feed Ol' Roy. I could never go that extreme.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
I have wondered about this myself, Innova Adult does seem to have a lot of calories. Maddie has been eating Innova Adult for over a year now and probably since she was around 8 months old.

However, I only feed her 1 3/4 cups per day because of the calories. She is actually quite petite (or maybe it's because there are so many people with large, overweight Goldens that they think she is small) and only weighs about 60 lbs (she hasn't been weighed recently) but I feel like it's more genetics than what I fed her. So I don't really know ... but I will be interested in the answers!

I've read this reasoning many times and don't understand it. Why would large breed puppy food make them grow too fast? I feed Innova LBP. Hank is almost 6 mos. and probably weighs somewhere between 45-50 lbs.

Here a side-by-side comparison -

Innova Large Breed Puppy
Protein - 24%
kcal (1 cup) 367

Innova Puppy
Protein - 28%
kcal (1 cup) 454

Innova Large Breed Adult
Protein - 25%
kcal (1 cup) 380

Innova Adult
Protein - 25.42%
kcal (1 cup) 504

I'm not trying to start an argument, but am trying to make an informed decision as to when to switch Hank to an adult formula. If higher protein & higher calories = too fast growth, wouldn't it make sense to keep him on the LBP formula which has lower calories & protein for longer?

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The bag of coopers food says he should be getting 3 1/2 - 5 cups daily.
505 calories
Crude Protein 28.0%

We feed him 4 cups a day. 2 in the morning and 2 in the evening, and i add water to them. If i dont he scarfs them down to fast and pukes it back up! and he still acts like he wants more!

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
My breeder had me feed Mac Purina Large Breed Puppy until she was 5 months; at 5 months, start to combine Eukanuba Large Breed Lamb and Rice adult in equal parts. Her instructions state to do so until 24 months of age but I put Mac on the Eukanuba Large Breed adult shortly after she turned 12 months of age.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts