Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I just took down the baby gate. I have always gated Rookie in the kitchen when I'm not home or when I go to bed. But at almost three years old, Rookie really doesn't seem to need it anymore.

Rookie now has full access to the kitchen, living room, and dining room. (There are doors to all the other rooms.) It feels really strange to walk through the kitchen door without stepping up and over the gate! I'm keeping the gate handy in case I decide I want it again for some reason, but for now, it's kind of nice to just walk through the door.

·
Murphy's mom
1,025 Posts
I have the swing through gate in the kitchen. I love it and still have it up. I usually don't use it anymore...but it is nice to have if I want to let visitors in the front door...and not worry that my "not" fully trained goldens will run them down in greeting. Yes I am working on their training, but I do love the help of a physical barrier when needed.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the swing through gate in the kitchen. I love it and still have it up. I usually don't use it anymore...but it is nice to have if I want to let visitors in the front door...and not worry that my "not" fully trained goldens will run them down in greeting. Yes I am working on their training, but I do love the help of a physical barrier when needed.
Because my house is a two family, I have lots of doors. I have a door that keeps Rookie from going upstairs and I have a door that keeps him out of the entryway while I greet visitors calmly in the front hall and then let them into the kitchen or living room.

If I didn't have those doors, I'd probably keep the gate up.

·
shadow friend
3,886 Posts
Not down. I have let Max confined in the kitchen when I am at work to keep him in a warm place. He is overall doing really well in there! Thinking when I get all the Christmas stuff put away I'm going to let him try for a day to let him have the whole downstairs with our older dog. I have someone coming midday every day so she can see if Max has gotten into trouble around 1230 and if he has, she'll confine him in the kitchen again. I think though, other than a weird set back day, he seems ready to have his free roaming territory increased. I do not think he will ever have free roam of the entire house as he is a kitty poo eater and that means no upstairs for him!!!

·
Registered
869 Posts
Since we did some cleaning before christmas & they are both well potty trained, I have kept the gates open more. We have a living room that is a catch all. (we use the family room) so I kept them out of there but the past month it is open a lot. I still crate them when we are away, but will probably consider trying short stays out. I just want to be sure they don't kill each other while I am gone, & it depends on how much stuff is on my desk. I don't want them cleaning it off while I am gone.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Murphy has done really well being gated in the kitchen while we are gone, he always seems to just sleep. So in the last two days we've decided to test the waters with letting him roam the house when we are gone for less than 30 minutes. He's done excellent so far. The gate stays up to block him to a certain part of the house at night though. If I have to go that long without keeping an eye on him I'm not sure I trust it. For being as young as he is, he has so far proven to be a pretty easy dog.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
For Maggie we had a gate up at the laundry room until she died, it was a place I could put her if a non-dog person came to visit, the delivery man came or she needed time away from our granddaughter. When we brought Hank home I bought 2 of the walk-through baby gates, one from the kitchen to front foyer & one from back foyer to greatroom. He's 6 months so we still use those daily. The gate to the laundry room is back in use as well,

·
I've seen all good people
5,002 Posts
We haven't used baby gates for Merlin in well over a year, but I still keep them handy for the times we have a foster.

Merlin never really got into anything, but I was always worried he would. I finally gave him complete freedom when he was about a year and half. He's never once done anything wrong. I don't what I did to deserve such a good boy! :)

·
Registered
55 Posts
No gates at my house even with two young pups. They go in kennels if everyone is out and at night they either sleep in a X pen or on the bed. When we're home they have the run of the house and we keep a close eye on them. Both are potty trained but prior when they weren't it helped that I don't have carpet in the house.

·
Sandy's mom too!
89 Posts
I am thinking maybe we are lucky with our puppy Karly. She is 7 months and has not been confined to an area since she was 5 months. She doesn't damage anything when we are gone during the day or at night when we are sleeping. She sleeps next to our bed (even though she is allowed on the bed) at night. We have a yellow lab (Sandy) who is a very good dog and is 6 years old. Karly seems to follow Sandy and does whatever she does (which is sleep while we are at work). Maybe that is why she has been an awesome puppy so far!:)

·
Registered
25 Posts
With our older golden we never took certain gates down...mainly to keep him away from cat litter boxes! We curse the gates ever once in awhile!

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
Took the last baby gate down last week actually! It was between the hallway and living room but I took it down to get put a cooker in the living room (don't ask) and haven't put it back up.

Used to have 3 gates downstairs, one blocking off the stairs, one kitchen/hallway and living room/hallway. Took the kitchen one down when Diesel was about 1 year and took the stair one down when Diesel realised he could open it!

·
Susan
1,187 Posts
We still use a gate to keep the dogs in the bedroom at night. We could close the door but we want the cats to be able to come and go.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I have one for the kitchen and one for upstairs. When the gate is open she hauls butt upstairs and grabs a toy from the play room and inches her way into the kitchen over and over. We are working on boundries but so far no luck.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
I live in a ranch where the living room, kitchen, bedrooms, everything is on the main floor, but I have a finished basement, which is where Is pend all my time. I have a swing through gate in the basement, to keep the dogs in the family room. I'll probably never take it down, because it keeps the dogs down there with me and out of the litter box closet in the laundry room. I removed one of the bars from the gate so its just big enough for the cats to get through, but none of the dogs can.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
We have a hinged baby gate into my son's room as there are too many "things" for Sienna to grab and choke on. The door to the bedroom is sometimes closed, when we are too lazy to hide the slippers, hang up the pjs etc. as she will grab those and show us to play chase.

She is crated at night, I think she would be okay, but our house is so small I would probably end up tripping over her going to the bathroom at night LOL.

I have a baby gate that I saved and we sometimes put that up when my son has friends over and they are playing Wii etc, Sienna is just TOO friendly LOL and won't leave everyone alone.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Yes you are lucky with your puppy !
Trinian is 14 months old and before the heavy snowfall ate ROCKS !!
WE also have gates up in my art studio during the day, but most times when we are gone Trini has a older Labrador who he hangs out with.
He's learning, and Sunny sets a good example.
Although he did manage to "eat" 2 throw pillows.
Unmistakeable proof, fluff, EVERYWHERE !!!

·
Registered
369 Posts
I had a baby gate at the start of our stairs to keep both of our dogs from going up stairs. i removed it about 3 months ago, but cooper has started to SNEAK up stairs, and he will jump on my bed, Roll on it (our sheets are black) so at night when we go to bed we will lay in lots of dog hair and im like YUCK he got up stairs again!!!
So now ive put the baby gate back up lol. its the only reason its up because i dont want to lay on dog hair at night.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hurley's 8 months old & at this rate, the gates will be up for a long time. We use a gate in the hallway to confine him to only the 2 hallways & our bedroom at night. During the day, we confine him to the hallways & shut all the bedroom, bathroom & mud room doors. However, we have found that he's bored & has been pretty naughty. So, we're getting an xlarge kennel for him tomorrow & he'll be confined to it while we're gone for now. Hopefully, we'll eventually let him out of the kennel again & into the hall....and eventually to have free range of the house but not until he's far out of puppyhood.

We also have a hinged door pet gate that is on the basement bathroom door. That has been a HUGE help! I love that it has a small door on the front so the cats can run into the bathroom to escape Hurley & we can keep Hurley out of the bathroom and away from the litter boxes. It was worth every dollar spent!

·
Retired Apache Pilot
40 Posts
3 1/2 Months

Sergeant was a fast learner. We brought him home at 8 weeks, and would keep him in our Master Bathroom when we could not watch him. There would be a gate at the door.

Sergeant learned on his own to go into the shower to do his business, believe it or not. It was easy then just to pick up the solids, and was it all down the drain. Quite a smart dog.

At 3 1/2 months he was totally housebroken, and the gate was tossed in the trash. At 7 months it is now HIS house, and we are his servants!

Additionally, Sergeant has NEVER damaged anything in our home from chewing.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts