Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
New Mommy
6,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got Kay Cee Ann in 1977. She was from Honor stock, everyone else since has been a rescue.

·
Registered
287 Posts
We got our first golden in 2001. You can see pictures of Payton in my signature. We lost him February 11th of last year.

·
Missing Selka So Much
17,303 Posts
I got Shammy as a wedding gift in 1973! She was the epitome of the Golden temperament, I was sold forever!

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
Maggie was my first golden, we got her in 1995. She went to the Bridge last July.

·
Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
479 Posts
Jean-luc was my first Golden. Got him in 1990. He passed away in 2008 :(

I then got Jean-luc, Jr. in 2008. :)

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Cooper was our first Golden. He came home, at 12 weeks old, in 1996. We lost him in June 2007.

Riley came home a couple months later, in August of 2007.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Jake was our first golden; he was born in December, 1996 and we brought him home at the age of 8 weeks from Toasty Goldens in February 1995. My husband and I had been married for 2 years and Jake just grew up with us, as we grew in our marriage.

Jake passed away in August last year, just a few months short of his 13th birthday. He's the golden in my avatar. He was, and will always remain, the spoiled King in our hearts. My late BIL used to joke that we got the solar system for the pool for Jake's convenience, not ours, he was so pampered.

We made so many mistakes in training him, yet he was so forgiving. Every title and designation that he earned, he earned as a Veteran dog over the age of 7--his CGC, therapy dog, RN, and finally a CD--which he earned with two placements (one a first place!) at the age of 10. You Da Man Jake!

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
I got my first Golden mix in 1987. Keisha is the dog who made me fall in love with Goldens.

Jasper was my first purebred that was actually mine. I adopted him in 2005.

Before that, I had Tess, who was a permanent foster who came to live with us in August 2003.

We started fostering for our Golden Retriever rescue in early 2003 and didn't actually own a purebred Golden for 2 1/2 years. Just fostered them (though I considered Tess our dog). My Jasmine has been with us through all of the fostering and she is 1/2 Golden.

·
Loving goldens since '95
7,004 Posts
My first goldens (Ginny & Tara) came into my life in 1995. They were 4 & 6 years old then. They were my step-dad's dogs and him and my mom started dating then, and they became the family dogs.

In terms of my own golden, that is Molson who joined us in May 2009.

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
I found Tramp when I went fishing 06/2002. I had not had a dog for 15+ years and had never had a golden. He showed me what I had been missing.

He was quite old and I only had him for 8.5 months. I have rescued/adopted 3 more seniors since. I only have Copper now. He is getting pretty old, but I don't know his age. The shelter called me 5+ years ago and were going to euthanize him.

He was found wandering the streets with a chain embedded in his neck. He is now spoiled, pampered and my main man.:smooch: With his prescription food and supplements, he costs more to feed every month than both my horses. His vet bills have been astronomical.

He is worth every penny and has me wrapped around his little paw.:p:

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
Rusty. 1987. Was for sale in the paper as a 1 year old for $45.

He lived on a farm in the mountains of El Cajon, CA.

Went to look at him. He was being sold by the original owners neighbor farmers. The original owners had disappeared into thin air, leaving goats, dogs, horses, cows, you name it behind with no care at all. No one really knew what happened to them, but the post man told them there had been several deliveries from the IRS :)

Rusty had been attacked by two pit bulls and a GSD on another farm, and his neck was a bit chewed up but healing.

I offered $25 due to the 'defects' :) They took it, and I took him home.

He was my first Heart dog. He moved with me from San Diego back to VA in 1990 when I left the Navy. 3100 miles on the front seat of a regular cab Ford Pickup. We were both so miserable (I had bad back issues - reason for my medical discharge) that I made the trip iin 3.5 days.

He died at an estimate age of 10 from the usual culprit.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts