Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
It depends.... sometimes they find that pup a new home??? sometimes they stay and become part of the breeders pack of dogs. Sometimes they are euthanized if they have a medical issue as the reason they were not wanted... and it depends on the breeder.... I think the majority are probably rehomed.... and then some are kept by the breeder... I would like to think that a small number fall into the euthanized category.

My Bing is a puppy that we took back after his liver shunt was discovered and the people no longer wanted him, he was four months old... we refunded their money and took him back... we then did extensive medical consults and he had surgery and now he is part of our pack and will remain with us for the rest of his life.

·
Where The Bitches Rule
6,429 Posts
Do they sell them,again?

Sometimes, probably more times than not.
I have heard stories where a returned dog ended up being a very special dog and went on to a great show or performance career with the breeder.

·
Beware of Nestle Purina
5,715 Posts
I sold 1 of Cozy's offspring to an elderly woman. Others would not sell to her due to her age. In her will it states the dog (Quantus) be returned to me if she passes before he does and can not be rehomed. She has no living relatives. Quantus is her life. Not sure how much it is but money will be left for his continued care in the unfortunate event. I talk to her several times a year and did have him for a few weeks when she had a small heart attack. She carries a card in her wallet that says to call me and her friend if something should happen to her so that Quantus is taken care of.

He was due for a play date with his sisters during Dec. but with getting Buddy and all it has been too complicated. Cozy bosses him around which bothers his owner so only his sisters are invited guests. The same goes for her other offspring- Only their sisters are invited to play-dates.

I doubt I would be able to rehome any of Cozy's offspring unless they could not get accepted into the pack. I do not allow pee pads though and I know some of them do use them. They are indoor/ outdoor trained. This would probably be my biggest problem.

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
Are you thinking of returning Cambridge? I have had three returned. They were all not puppies. One went to my friend, GameBoy on the GRF. One found a home in NH. Both were older and in neither case, did anyone ask for money back. So since I was paid once, I didn't ask new owners for money. I know breeders who would ask for money the second time around.... And Basil, who you met at Vaughan Woods was the stud fee pup. So when I got her back, I paid the stud fee. If it is about Cambridge is there anything we locals can do?

·
Beware of Nestle Purina
5,715 Posts
Not trying to poke my nose where it does not belong

Are you thinking of returning Cambridge? I have had three returned. They were all not puppies. One went to my friend, GameBoy on the GRF. One found a home in NH. Both were older and in neither case, did anyone ask for money back. So since I was paid once, I didn't ask new owners for money. I know breeders who would ask for money the second time around.... And Basil, who you met at Vaughan Woods was the stud fee pup. So when I got her back, I paid the stud fee. If it is about Cambridge is there anything we locals can do?
Sally's mom look below. I think she is feeling overwhelmed right now.

I have tried for months, with cambridge, her and spirit ,together at times are fine, but much of the time, the playing turns into fighting, my nerves are fried, with this and my husbands cancer,i am at wits end, thinking of giving her up.
Above is from "parents of teenage pups page 3" http://www.goldenretrieverforum.com...-up-1-year/109111-parents-teenage-pups-3.html

·
Registered
869 Posts
Takes back a pup, from a person that bought it,what do they do with it?

We have taken back a few dogs over the years. One, the owner had lost their job and home was being foreclosed and was moving into an apartment, another they had just had a new baby-so 2 young children and husband was being sent over seas so she was just overloaded, a third was due to a divorce and unable to find adequate housing for a large breed dog in an apt.

We have rehomed these dogs that we have taken back. If the previous owners want contact wit the new owners, then I will provide them with contact information. I will do any training that needs to be done or work on any issues the dog is having, any medical care, etc so that when the dog does leave our home, it is ready to be in another home and I know they will do well in that home.

I don't think any of this makes any of the people I listed above bad owners. Sometimes life deals us hands that we have to make some hard decisions with and I am thankful that the owners of the dogs contacted me to return them so I could find them a home I knew they would do well in.

·
Grumpy Old Man
4,584 Posts
Takes back a pup, from a person that bought it,what do they do with it?
It depends upon "why" the pup was returned.

I have had pups returned but I haven't had a pup returned for health reasons, so I can't offer much input for that.

In most cases, something changed in the home and they can no longer keep a dog. (Divorce most often.) On occasion someone will return it because they find out keeping a retriever is a whole lot more time, money and energy than they anticipated and they've reached their breaking point.

In most cases the returnee spends a few months here, being socialized, and trained to get the dog back onto the right path. Then it is sold again.

·
goldenfan
695 Posts
I have had 4 back over the last 40 years. One through health issues as he had a hole in the heart, not detected by 2 vets as a young puppy, but as he grew it was obvious his heart was failing and I had him put to sleep on veterinary advice and gave the owners their money back and helped them find another dog when they were ready. The first one I rehomed with friends of friends having housetrained her when she came back at 9 months and I did not charge for her, next one was returned after a week as a very 'vicious' puppy and I resold him abroad to people I had met previously where he became a champion (with a fantastic temperament) and the last one was returned as the new owner was pregnant and I put the 2 owners in touch and let then decide how much they paid. It all depends on circumstances and why the puppy is being returned. Annef

·
Shoregold
670 Posts
I only received or inherited one back. A family member of one of our 9 year dog owners called and said the owner was injured and was heading to surgery. They were looking for advice to where to keep her until things settled down. I drove to their house and picked her up offering to watch her until they were recovered. The family never came back for her and she lived with us for 3+ more years. She just passed away in May just shy of 13.

·
Registered
296 Posts
If the problem is the relationship between the two dogs, have you looked at a dog trainer? These folks are amazing and often can achieve things in short order that we could never imagine. They are not necessarily inexpensive. But if you can afford to do so in these rough economic times it might be worth considering.

·
Premium Member
16,435 Posts
I returned a puppy,Orion, the first weekend I had him because of a grade 4/5 heart murmur. It sounded like a waterfall in his chest. The breeders took him to their cardiologist, and it was confirmed. I do not know what happened with him, but his prognosis was very grim.

·
Premium Member
16,435 Posts
If the problem is the relationship between the two dogs, have you looked at a dog trainer? These folks are amazing and often can achieve things in short order that we could never imagine. They are not necessarily inexpensive. But if you can afford to do so in these rough economic times it might be worth considering.
Intensive management is key for a while, so there is no "practice" fighting. Identifying the triggers, and removing them, using babygates, making sure good things happen for both dogs in the presence of the other. . . There is a little pamphlet called FIGHT by Jean Donaldson that is good. I would not want to live with fighting dogs either, so sorting it out quickly is key. It may be that they cannot play at this time.

·
where the tails wag
13,380 Posts
My Towhee was returned to her breeder by her original owners. No real good reason was given except she was too much to handle. No medical or financial reason etc. They were, however, just not ready for another dog following the tragic loss of their Bentley. Her breeder can and will take in her dogs at any age for any reason.

She was brought back into her breeder's pack, received some training (like open doors do not mean run out and let the catch me if you can games begin) and socialized until a new home was found for her - mine. A calmer pup was given to Towhee's previous owners when a calmer pup was available and Towhee has already earned her RN and is well on her way to earning additional titles in my home, where she is now a happy and confidant girl. She gets along wonderfully with Casey & Faelan - who are also active and boisterous dogs. Towhee's breeder charged me no money and retains a co-ownership agreement - her primary concern was finding a good home for Ms Towhee where she will be loved and appreciated for all that she is.

Sometimes things just work out differently than expected. If you are thinking of returning your dog, I think I would contact the breeder and ask what her policies are. If you do not agree with them, perhaps the forum can help find a great home.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts