Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new puppy, weve had him about 2 weeks. He is sooo funny! He hates store bought doggy treats...every single one weve tried, But my son spilled some bananas on the floor yesterday and he went crazy over them! He gobbled them up before we could get our hands down there to pick them up. He turns his nose up at everything but those darn bananas...I have to remove him from the room when my two year old wants to eat bananas now! Whats your doggy's favorite "non dog food" treat?

·
Dr. Rainheart
5,563 Posts
Beamer's favorite of all time is cheese; without a doubt!

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
Popcorn. Flora goes nuts when I make popcorn. She sits on the floor in front of the kettle waiting for errant popcorn pieces to fall on the ground.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Marrow bones (be sure to remove much of the marrow before you give to your puppy or you'll have VERY loose stools :no::no:)- peanut butter in marrow bones or Kongs
- cooked chicken cut into treat sized bites
- cooked beef cut into treat sized bites
- cheese
- dried liver - easy to make yourself & inexpensive (see recipe below)
- Bananas, apple slices, blueberries
- carrots

Beef Liver Treats!!

Before making this easy dog treat recipe, or any other with liver, be sure to review our tips on purchasing and using liver.

Ingredients:
  • 1 pound beef liver (organic calf liver is preferred)

Instructions:
  1. Preheat oven to 200° F
  2. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
  3. Cut liver into strips.
  4. Space pieces of liver on sheet pan so they are not touching (see note below regarding Spacing).
  5. Bake for 2 hours, rotating the pan after one hour.
  6. Let cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes.
  7. Lift the parchment paper off the sheet pan and place on the wire rack to allow the liver training treats to cool completely and dry out on the bottom.
Storing & Yield - These liver dog treats will last for two weeks in the refrigerator. You can freeze them for four months. For more information on storing homemade dog treats, be sure to review our tips and techniques.
The yield really depends on how small you make each training treat. It also depends on how often you have a training session. Just keep in mind that since liver has a unique smell for your dog, a small piece will pack a rewarding flavor punch.
Tips & Techniques

1. Cutting Liver - Cutting liver can get tricky as it is very soft. To make things easier, especially since this is an easy dog treat recipe, freeze the package of liver. Then let it thaw for a few minutes on the counter. Sharpen your knife and cut the liver into strips while it is still frozen. It will continue to thaw while you handle it and before it goes into the oven.
  2. Spacing - Even though the liver will shrink, it spreads out a little before it gets thinner. So the more space you can allow between each piece the better. Actually this is one time that the picture above is a good example of what not to do. Although the treats came out great, I had to tear them apart. If possible, leave about a 1/4 inch between each piece.
  3. Parchment Paper - It's not necessary, but it makes things easier after baking, if you cut the paper to fit your sheet pan. Then the paper will not be curling and getting in the way of the liver.
  4. Oven Temperature - This recipe is a great time to use an oven thermometer. You can easily check for the accurate temperature and adjust accordingly.
  5. Texture - You are looking for a jerky or flexible texture with these liver treats. They will be slightly spongy in the center, but with a firm outside.
  6. Cooling - It's important to let the dog training treats cool off of the sheet pan. The liver will be slightly moist underneath, and it needs the opportunity to dry out.
Of all the dog training supplies you may need to purchase, this is by far the most exciting for your dog. Who knows, maybe you'll need less methods to prompt your dog to perform tricks and mind his manners, with this easy dog treat recipe.

What's Your Dog's Tastebud Feedback?

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I am really against processed dog treats.... or anything man made. Lola gets very excited about carrots! She LOVES them. So that is her treat. Low calorie and healthy.

·
Kate
21,665 Posts
Bread for home. Cheese for class.

Milkbones work fine as well at home for training exercises that I don't need my guy to do a speedy gulp-swallow as he's trotting along with me.

·
Shandy522
57 Posts
Cheese, definitely cheese. I dropped some shredded cheese between the counter and stove and Shandy went crazy trying to get between and pick up the pieces!

She also likes fruit - apples, strawberries, bananas. And of course, peanut butter.

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
our dogs love low-fat string cheese...also BilJack liver treats (I get the little ones for training class)...and the occasional piece of chicken or beef or hot dog. I gave them a few Cheerios last night while I was grooming them and they liked them! Read here somewhere that many dogs like them. They're sweet though so I think I'll only use stale leftover ones once in a while.

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
Anything. That includes cardboard. And tissue.

·
Monty & Kahnah's mum
36 Posts
Mine like my homemade liver pate, but also love cheese and bananas :wavey:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts