Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Dakota Bear
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do all Goldens have this spot on there tongues? I don't think so - but I've seen alot of Goldens that do. Does anybody know what it is or what it means. I've heard different stories from different people.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Do you mean the blackish colored spot that some goldens have:confused:

None of mine ever had it, but seen many that did. I've heard lots of stories as to why some have the pigment but very few would I ever believe:rolleyes: One that made me about fall of my chair once was when someone said the golden at some point had chow blood in it. Wonder where people come up with this stuff:confused:

Although I have no documented material as too why its there, the best explanation for it being that I ever read or heard was because its just pigment and any dog breed can have it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Cooper has one. It showed up when he was a few months old and I thought he had eaten a permanent marker. His dad has one too, and after looking it up on the internet and reading a bit about it, I found out that it's totally normal. I even read that it's a good thing, because it means that the dog has very good pigmentation, which is good!

·
<---Bring on the grub!!!!
3,737 Posts
black spot on tongue

Hi,
There is another thread on this subject either on this site or the other GR site.
Someone explained it like this--Goldens are bred to have the black pigment around their eyes, on their noses and lips so sometimes they also have the black in other places such as their tongues or their belly. I'll try to find where it was discussed--it may be in the health section because someone was concerned about the black skin on their dogs' stomach. It made more sense when the other people were talking about it. :eek:
Cathy

P.S. I found it. It's in the section titled "Health & Anatomy, Etc". It's the 19th thread starter down called "Black Skin" by Monkey.

·
DogMom DogDesigns
225 Posts
Penny has a pigment spot on her tongue too. She's my first of 5 goldens to have one.

It showed up when she was a few months old, right at that age when everything was going in her mouth, so I thought she'd got a marker or a pen when I first saw it too! :doh:

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I think I read somewhere that the larger the spot,the higher the rank of Angel.:D
You know, no spot=rookie, small spot=1st step, etc.
:rolleyes: Shane

·
Old Guy
3,243 Posts
Everyone that notices Sidney's prominent black spot (the size of a quarter and right on the end of his tongue... so its always hanging out of his mouth) always makes an "ink pen" or "black marker" remark. The funny thing is he DID chew up an ink pen when he was about 4-months old... what a mess... a month later the black spot began to appear. Our last dog, an American Eskimo, also had a black spot appear on his tongue at the ripe old age of 6-years... it grew to about the size of a dime and was also up-front.

A few months ago I did an internet search on black spots on dog's tongues and came across all interesting sorts of 'theories' from its a Chow-mix to cancer but by far the most popular (and sensible) was its a 'mark' of good, strong black points. I did come across a webpage where someone or persons were posting picture after picture of retrievers with black spots on their tongues but when I recently tried to find that webpage again, I couldn't seem to locate it... anyone have the URL for it? Maybe we could start one here.

·
Mom to Samson
116 Posts
My Gunner is only 4 months and even though this is not on his tongue, he does have a black spot (looks like car oil) on his right shoulder that is about the size of a quarter. When I went to get him, I didn't think anything about it, other than it looked like he had been crawling under the breeders truck and gotten oil on his coat. When I got home and gave him a bath, I seen that it went all the way to the root and the skin is actually black as well. Kind of looks like a birthmark.

After researching this site (and others) http://www.ashgi.org/color/Aussie_somatic_mutations.html I found that it will not transfer in breeding. Or at least that's what they say. Hope so, because I really want to breed him at least once. Think this is true?

·
Registered
215 Posts
WOW, i havent seen a pic like that before, but that was interesting....
As far as you breeding Gunner, i would be a little leary about the color thing, because it ISNT in AKC standard and would be considered a disqualification, but its totally your perogative what you want to do. He is very handsome. Thanks for sharing that link with us! I enjoyed reading about the genetic traits of Goldens. I had heard of an AKC registered litter of goldens ALL being born black, but have never seen it...INTERESTING!

·
3 goldens
11,761 Posts
On another board the question of a black pup in a litter of goldens came up and it was said that in their background make-up there were flat coated retrievers (black) and once in a while there is a "throw back" that is all black. But I have never seen or heard of the mixed colors in goldens. All of mine have black spots on their tongues. And so did both of my irish Setters.

·
Registered
16 Posts
hI
my puppy golden, Casper ,dosn't have a spot on his tounge

i hope this is not a bad thing after what i have read
though he is only 4 months old!

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Buffy has a spot on her tongue about the size of a quarter at the end. She didn't start getting it til she was about 9 months old. It started out as just a small ink pen mark. I seriously thought she had chewed on a pen because she had before. The spot has slowly gotten bigger and now seems to have stabilized to the size it is now. I think it's cute and can't imagine her not having it. Abby, our 10 1/2 month old, as of yet, does not have one.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts