Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
old but new
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Benny ... 4 1/2 mo's has twice now, tried to hump my husbands leg when he just get's home from work or from a store. Benny has also tried this with my 2yr old daughter but my oldest son snagged him up before hand. What does this mean? Is he trying to be dominating or is it just typical puppy play?
I take it as trying to dominate and I quickly let him know who's boss, but am I correct?
Thanks for any input! =)

·
Yuki's mom...Syd
687 Posts
yuki is also doing the same and he is the same age as your pup lol.

more than dominating i think its due to excitement, puppy play maybe. i am not sure myself. i have already taught him the off command, so he gets off. Yuki already knows who's the boss but when he is very happy excited he humps anything...my leg, my mom's leg...his bed, my stuffed toys lol. he is submissive and ready to obey at other times. so i am pretty confused. i dont know if i am right or wrong. i too need some help for this and some input from others.

·
old but new
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think it's excitement too...but still I have to wonder why Benny only does it to my husband and my daughter. He doesn't do it to anyone or anything else "YET!" lol
Maybe it's just puppy play???? I don't know.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
It is excitement and inappropriate puppy play. The puppy doesn't know what behavior would be good house manners. So, the puppy does to the human what he/she will do with another puppy when excited and happy.

You need to figure out what you consider an acceptable greeting of excitement is for your pup and then teach the pup that is what you want. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts