Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
shadow friend
3,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Max carries a great many things in his mouth. I'm used to it but it's different when you walk in the door and see your golden with something they should not have in their mouth. Today was the oddest.

I came home and Max had a tomato in his mouth! there were some tiny holes in it but he didn't really hurt it that bad and when I went to take it, he let me have it. He gave me the soulful "oh mom, I didn't know that I shouldn't have had this!" look. Yeah, right.

Anyways, it gave us a giggle and has now claimed the top podium of odd things I've found in Max's mouth upon returning to my home.

What about everyone else?

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
A biscuit!

I don't buy biscuits as I really didn't see the point in spending money on when my dogs are very happy to just get a few pieces of kibble. Someone passed out biscuits at an event I helped at, and I left them on the counter. Griff, 14m at time time, grabbed one and carried it around the house! He rolled on it. Pawed at it, and then brought it to me! I used super high value reinforcers and had him retrieve it several times.... when it became slobbery he realized it tasted pretty good and I sent him off with it to eat.

But we've had moments with tomatoes and apples too! (....he tried with grapefruit and realized it tastes really bad...pawed and barked at it instead of carrying it!).

·
Registered
784 Posts
Winnie once swallowed a whole bar of soap from the bathtub. Then he came running to me, with bubbles coming out of his mouth. I thought he was foaming at the mouth! Then, up came the whole, unchewed on, bar of soap.

·
Love my Golden Boys!!
7,080 Posts
Winnie once swallowed a whole bar of soap from the bathtub. Then he came running to me, with bubbles coming out of his mouth. I thought he was foaming at the mouth! Then, up came the whole, unchewed on, bar of soap.

Sorry.......that made me laugh!!

My 2 younger dogs always have something in their mouth so nothing seems unusual.....but if anything, Austin came to me one day with an empty shaving cream container he got out of the garbage. He looked so proud of it!!! I'm just glad it was empty and he didn't get a face full of shaving cream......:doh:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Emma really scared me one time when I saw her chewing something and giving me a wary look, like she knew she had something she knew she shouldn't have.

I ran over to her and pried open her mouth to find an opened safety pin! I checked all inside her mouth for blood, but nothing was there.

It scared me quite a bit, but she turned out fine!

·
Eleanor's Mom
599 Posts
This weekend Eleanor got a 1 liter bottle of seltzer out of a grocery bag when no one was looking. She likes to carry empty bottles around so this must have seemed fine to her. Luckily we found her with it before she pierced the side.

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
Spencer brought me a tiny baby bunny once. He took it from our cat. It was summer and we were refinishing the deck.....I saw the cat off in the distance flinging something up in the air. Spencer wandered over and a little later came onto the deck, mouth closed, tail wagging softly. I had this feeling....so I asked him what was in his mouth. He looked at me and wagged again. I finally told him to drop it and he drops this baby bunny! Perfectly fine, not a mark on it. Nothing but some Spencer slime! We put it in our cat carrier and hand fed it for a week or so. Later my son and his girlfriend adopted it, keeping it for several months before returning it to the wild. :)

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Ruby likes playing with tomatoes
she rolls them about and pounces on them for ages
then looks all forlorn when they roll under the sofa
and yes we get them out for her de fluff them and give her them back
are we all mad or what
I love the story of the baby bunny glad to here it didnt have anything worse than slobber on it

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
It wasn't when I walked in the door, but Dodger once brought me a bottle of wine (it was in a cloth gift bag).
Now that is a trick I wish mine would learn.

Darby will pickup anything the even remotely resembles a ball. He once carried my vegetable brush around for a day. No bites just carried it. It is round (no handle) and yellow looks like a ball with bristles on one side.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Cooper LOOOVES carrying around those little clementine oranges and roma tomatoes! He never eats them, just carries them around and babies them. He cracks me up. He also loves playing with dill pickles. Weirdo.
I saw a special on goldens that said they had such gentle mouths that they could carry raw eggs. I haven't been brave enough to try it, but I believe it after getting our fruit returned unharmed. lol.

·
Missing my Boys...
3,980 Posts
Our Granddaughter stayed with us for a while and I would always tell her to keep her bedroom door closed or at least pick up your dirty clothes.
Well, one day she left her door open and Dylan decided to check things out, he came out with her THONG underwear in his mouth, she turned so many different colors, but the door was always closed from that day on!

·
Gunner and Honey's Mom
5,628 Posts
Dog Mammal Dog breed Canidae Carnivore

MY BRA....Gunner found it in a stack of folded clean clothes and ran around the house with it. LOL

·
Registered
784 Posts
Another thing Winnie used to carry around when my daughter was little was the Fisher Price Little People. He's very, very good at leaving her toys alone. But he could not resist the Little People. He would never chew them. But he loved to carry them around and snuggle them. They were his little toy people. It was adorable. And a sad day for him when my daughter outgrew the Little People.

·
Registered
327 Posts
My grandma's bra, we were at her house and Gracie found it and proudly strutted around the house with her new trophy. She even sat down and posed for a picture with it in her mouth.

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
when Bridger came up path carrying a mid-size salmon. Know that Obi (RIP, our fisher-dog) caught it, left it & Bridger did his "you forgot this" and brought it home for Obi. He daily brings home whatever stick/log Sadie was playing with & leaves his behind.

(I was very upset at seeing him with salmon - salmon sickness potential)

·
Registered
73 Posts
My Tristan used to open BEER CANS !
He would just chew off the top and make it a doggie fip top can, and lick out the contents!
It was before video recorders but I have a series of Triss taking his flip top cans and licking out the contents.
He would give a satisfied "Buurp" then lay upside down on the couch for a nap.
We called him the little Irishman who fell off a barstool and woke up in a dogsuit.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts