Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Obese or overweight dogs are a huge problem all around the world. In U.S. an estimated 17 millions dogs are overweight or obese. My dog is starting to get overweight and I need to control further weight gain. Just wondering the best food for my 1 year old dog to avoid obesity. Well, PETCO sells a variety of premium nutrition foods for dogs.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
Lush, Mystic, Hiphop, Dreamer, Sayer, Fable, Magic, Chelsea, Chapin, Cambridge, and Velvet
16,453 Posts
Eagle Pack Hollistic has very reasonable calories.

My vet bargained strenuously with me to change from Eagle Pack Holloistic to Eukanuba Premium Performance for a two month trial. One of my dogs struggles with anemia from a big bout of anaplasmosis as a baby, and has never had a normal CBC.I was shocked to find he was absolutely right- the dogs' blood tests were amazing on Eukanuba premium performance with no more anaemia whatsoever.

It has a ton of calories, fat and protein though ; I am going for two huge hikes a day with the pups, but thet are still gaining weight. It's probably one of the worst foods for avoiding obesity.

I have heard good things about the Wellness weight loss core food.

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
A lot of goldens seem to do well on Pro Plan reduced calorie foods. I believe they make a reduced calorie large breed food as well, but I'm not positive.

·
Mom to Geddy and Sawyer!!
6,059 Posts
I've never done it, but I've read about the green bean diet here on the forum. Basically you cut down on the kibble and substitute some canned (I think) grean beans in... they are filling with waaay less cals. It's an option anyways? I can't recommend a kibble myself as we feed raw. Best of luck!!

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
Fromm foods have very moderate calories and are very high quality. If you are happy with what you're using, simply cut back on how much you're feeding. As said above, you can add some green beans in to help her feel full. Just make sure that there is no sodium added.

·
Daisy - my heart
12,575 Posts
Wellness CORE Reduced Fat is the best food I've been able to find on the market as far as adequate protein and low-calorie. Daisy's been on this food for several years now and she's doing very well.

·
Registered
22,569 Posts
Count Calories. I know every calorie that goes into my dog's mouths. Tucker lost nearly 20 pounds by counting calories. Eagle Pack Holistic Fish Formula is pretty low in calories. Canidae has a low calorie food, but when they changed the formula, my two had some issues.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Obese or overweight dogs are a huge problem all around the world. In U.S. an estimated 17 millions dogs are overweight or obese. My dog is starting to get overweight and I need to control further weight gain. Just wondering the best food for my 1 year old dog to avoid obesity. Well, PETCO sells a variety of premium nutrition foods for dogs.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Hi Dealrocker. It would be helpful to know what brand/formula you are currently feeding, how much of it you are feeding, the condition (i.e. can ribs be felt/seen now, how's his coat, any allergies or other issues food might effect) and weight of your dog now (as well as desired weight) and how much exercise he/she is getting.

ITM, can say that there is not one particular food that is the weight-loss staple of the industry (and PETCO may not be your best bet to find one). In general, I've found dogs to maintain a leaner body weight on kibble that derives the majority of its protein from specified animal meal (look for a meat meal listed as at least the first ingredient with few grains and an overall carb count <50%) than those that use grains to derive much of the food's protein from grains (note many weight control/low-fat type foods are simply overloaded with grains). Additionally, it's important to keep protein (~25% crude is usually weight friendly), fat (~10%), and calories/feeding amounts in check as too much of any of them can lead to weight gain.

·
Daisy - my heart
12,575 Posts
Daisy lost a lot of weight when we started the 10 calories per pound you want your dog to weigh formula. She can only have about 750-800 calories a day. When you look at the calorie content of most kibble, that's not a lot of food, and often much less than a 2 cups a day. With the Wellness CORE Reduced Fat, she can have a whole 2 cups!! :)

·
Registered
356 Posts
Daisy lost a lot of weight when we started the 10 calories per pound you want your dog to weigh formula. She can only have about 750-800 calories a day. When you look at the calorie content of most kibble, that's not a lot of food, and often much less than a 2 cups a day. With the Wellness CORE Reduced Fat, she can have a whole 2 cups!! :)
WooHoo - I bet she's very happy about that! lol

Dealrocker, the Wellness CORE Reduced Fat (a quality, modest protein, low fat, grain-free food) indeed is one of the few that make it possible to feed such a minimal amount of calories while still effectively meeting the daily protein requirements of the dog.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Canidae Platinum is only 330 calories per cup.
Don't know of any premium food lower in calorie but maybe....

1 cup plus 1 cup green beans[un-salted] and impossible not to drop weight.

Our girls never had problem with old or new formula

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Milly lost a lot of weight when I started measuring her food each meal. I had her on 1/2 cup in the AM and 3/4 of a cup in PM for quite a few months - I supplemented this with green beans and other veggies. Obviously the measurements will be different for every dog and the amount of weight you want yours to lose. Milly now gets 3/4 and 1 cup twice a day and is maintaining the weight very well (with lots of exercise).

·
Registered
356 Posts
Canidae Platinum is only 330 calories per cup.
Don't know of any premium food lower in calorie but maybe....

1 cup plus 1 cup green beans[un-salted] and impossible not to drop weight.

Our girls never had problem with old or new formula
The only thing with the lower protein formulas such as Canidae Platinum, is that, unless you have a 30 pound dog, they usually require feeding more cups per day (to assure adequate protein intake, especially for such a young dog) and the calories can stack up to the point it'd be better to actually feed a lesser amount of one of the higher protein/low fat formulas on the market.

·
Registered
22,569 Posts
Tucker was on the Canidae Platinum for years and only consuming 750 calories a day. I'm glad he's a healthy boy. I did worry about the protein level, but he's still kicking butt at soon to be 7. He is now on the EPH.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
A universal equation for humans and our dogs:

more calories going in compared to calories expended = weight gain

So, for a dog that is physically able, looking at increasing exercise goes hand in hand with what and how much you feed.

My senior Bentley had a much harder time keeping trim with toned muscles when he ate IAMS, Eukanuba or Science Diet. All those formulas had high carbohydrate %. In the last three years he has done much better eating a rotation of kibbles (non of them being reduced calorie formulas) with 30% and more protein, fat at 15-18% and carb % in the 30s or preferably less.

·
Inactive
11,326 Posts
Without going after anyone in particular, I want to point out that a lot of the ideas about protein, carbs, and healthy percentages that have appeared in this thread do not seem to be based on researched nutritional science, but apparently on some popular feeding methods that are out there on the internet. Lots of websites advise certain percentages of protein and fat and have certain biases against grain that simply aren't data-based.

The best healthy-weight food is a high quality food given in the right amount combined with an active lifestyle. If your dog is obese, the trick is to lower the amount of food until the dog loses weight slowly and to incorporate low-impact exercise.

Weight-loss foods are often just a regular food with a filler added, so why not just give your dog less food? Humans are often surprised at how little a dog needs to be healthy and happy, so they give more then necessary, supplement with treats and too-rich table scraps, and don't necessarily get their dogs enough exercise.

If a dog is eating a high calorie, high quality, nutrient-dense food, he doesn't need a whole lot of volume to get everything he needs. Don't anthropomorphize your dog's food intake. Generally speaking, if he's a healthy weight and the food is decent, he's not going to experience insufficiency of some crucial nutrient just because you have him on 2 cups a day instead of 3.

And just so it's clear the proof is in the pudding, I have two dogs on Eukanuba, one on LBP and one on Premium Performance, and they're both glossy, muscular, top-notch athletes. The puppy is on about 4 cups/day because he's incredibly high energy, high metabolism, and active. The 22-month-old on PP is on demand, but he goes through about 2 1/2 cups a day on average. I check their ribs and hips weekly and take a look every time they're wet in order to make sure they're on the lean side of a healthy weight, and I have no qualms about cutting back amounts if necessary. We do periodically supplement with cooked, lean meat when we make it for ourselves.

Sorry if I come off a little forcefully here, but there's no excuse for allowing a dog to become overweight. Trim dogs live an average of almost two years longer than even moderately obese dogs, and they experience a delay of almost two years of many chronic health conditions. I'd do almost anything to get an extra two years of healthy life from my pups, and measuring their food carefully is a relatively easy thing to do for such an incredible result.

·
Registered
22,569 Posts
Tucker came to us chubby...It's much easier keeping the weight off than taking it off. He still looks great and he lost the weight about 5 years ago.

This is Tucker before and after. I hope we have added some years to his precious life...
Attached Images

·
Daisy - my heart
12,575 Posts
Have to respond to this ... let me work my way through my thoughts here.

First, there can be excuses for allowing your dog to be overweight. They may not be good excuses and ultimately not good for your dog, but sometimes life circumstances interfere. When I first moved here, I lived with my sister for a year while I got back on my feet. She free-fed her cocker and it was all but impossible to gauge the amount of food Daisy was eating. I did not have the control I needed. I struggled with this everyday but it wasn't until I moved out on my own that Daisy got back to her ideal weight. Well, that's my excuse anyway. Sometimes life gets in the way. It's unfortunate.

Anyway, I've experimented with all kinds of food for Daisy over the years. I didn't just choose a high-fad food and say this is it. I have her on her current food because it's got qualiity ingredients and because it works for her. Her coat is beautiful, her stools are perfect, she's at the right weight, no gas or intestinal trouble. I can't say that it's the best, that would be ridiculous. But it's the best for Daisy that I've been able to find, and I've really put some effort into this.

Here are the ingredients for Wellness CORE Reduced Fat (33% protein):

Deboned Turkey, Turkey Meal, Chicken Meal, Potatoes, Dried Ground Potatoes, Pea Fiber, Whitefish Meal, Tomato Pomace, Natural Chicken Flavor, Chicken Liver, Salmon Oil, Flaxseed, Carrots, Sweet Potatoes, Kale, Broccoli, Spinach, Parsley, Apples, Blueberries, Vitamins, Minerals, Choline Chloride, Chicory Root Extract, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Glucosamine Hydrochloride, Chondroitin Sulfate, Lactobacillus plantarum, Enterococcus faecium, Lactobacillus casei, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Mixed Tocopherols, Rosemary Extract

And then there's the "whole 2 cups a day." That's important to both Daisy and me :)

1 - 20 of 46 Posts