Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since my baby has been on chicken and rice, I may move toward homemade diet.

What's the best brands out there for vitamin/oil supplements? Thanks

·
Registered
7,496 Posts
Since my baby has been on chicken and rice, I may move toward homemade diet.

What's the best brands out there for vitamin/oil supplements? Thanks

You mentioned in another thread that your puppy has been having diarrhea and the vet has yet to find a cause. Sometimes GI upset can come from stress of a new environment away from littermates, new food, new water source, internal parasites, and so on.

Keep up with the chicken and rice for a while... maybe a week or so depending on her BM. You want her to have solid or more firm bowel movements for a day or two before introducing kibble. If you pup is pretty young and came from the breeder recently, continue to feed what the breeder has been feeding. You can slowly add a probiotic to her diet. Many of us on the forum really like and recommend Nature's Farmacy Dogzymes Digestive Enhancer Probiotic. It's fantastic! I would not feed anything but chicken & rice, then slowly integrate kibble back into her diet. No other treats, foods, people food, etc.

·
Registered
926 Posts
I have been feeding my now 4 year primarily a home cooked diet supplemented by orijins or acana kibble.

I use the following supplements as advised by the integrative vet: Balance IT Canine, Prozyme, Fortiflora, Nordic Naturals Omega-3 Capsules, Dasuquin, Duralactin and MSM.

I feed a grain free diet. I use 2 to 3 of the following proteins for a given meal - chicken, turkey, salmon, lamb, bison, beef, venison, liver (normally chicken) and usually 2 veggies (pureed) which can be among others - string beans, cauliflower, brussel sprouts, squash, zucchini, spinach. I sometimes use sweet potatoes. To this I also add canned pureed pumpkin and yogurt.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts