Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

We are currently enrolled with a trainer that we like, but the only general classes she offers are Puppy class, Obedience 1 and Obedience 2 (5 weeks each). We would like to continue classes with our puppy, especially through adolescence, but what typically comes next? The only other class our trainer has after this is agility, but not sure if this is something we want to pursue with our dog.

Any ideas on what classes we should pursue next? For reference, our puppy is near the end of Obedience 1 and is 5 months old. She will be starting Obedience 2 shortly, but just trying to think ahead as these classes really book up well in advance. Also would love if anyone has recommendations on trainers in Chicago.

Thank you!

·
Registered
360 Posts
Are you interested in doing any dog sports or therapy in the future? Here's an intro guide from the AKC Get Started in Dog Sports and Events – American Kennel Club

Also a quiz which full disclaimer, I haven't personally taken

I'd personally start looking for another facility and see what they offer. Classes really vary. If you're not interested in dog sports, a lot of facilities still offer focus or tricks classes, and CGC class. Your instructor may also have some recommendations.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Hi!

We are currently enrolled with a trainer that we like, but the only general classes she offers are Puppy class, Obedience 1 and Obedience 2 (5 weeks each). We would like to continue classes with our puppy, especially through adolescence, but what typically comes next? The only other class our trainer has after this is agility, but not sure if this is something we want to pursue with our dog.

Any ideas on what classes we should pursue next? For reference, our puppy is near the end of Obedience 1 and is 5 months old. She will be starting Obedience 2 shortly, but just trying to think ahead as these classes really book up well in advance. Also would love if anyone has recommendations on trainers in Chicago.

Thank you!
I would recommend finding a training club in your area and stay in obedience longer. Maybe earn a Canine Good Citizen. Tell them what you've taken and they will recommend a class to try. After that, go for whatever you're interested in. Many clubs offer a variety of sports.

·
Registered
Brady Aedan Finch and Wren
13,581 Posts
CGC classes, Family Dog classes, Foundation skill building, trick training, agility/obedience/hunt basics or fundamentals
Or you might be able to keep cycling through Obedience 2 - there would be new dogs so a different environment for your dog.

I would 2nd looking around for other training facilities to see what they offer that may interest you.

One of my clubs offers Therapy Dog classes with the exams at varying levels, as well as many (or all) clubs in my area offer scent work, obedience, agility, rally, hunt test and I am sure there are others :)

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
If at the moment you just want a well-behaved pet, I'd start looking for a CGC class. If you've gone through Obedience level 2, CGC may be a piece of cake, so look for a facility/trainer who also offers the more challenging CGCA (Community Canine) and CGCU (Urban). Both of these higher-level CGC classes will take what was learned in the CGC classes "on the road" into public spaces to really "proof" the behaviors and help you make your dog one that can truly go anywhere that dogs are allowed (a GREAT choice if you live in an urban area).

Once you get through those, you may want to look at trick dog titles, or something like Rally (which is like formal obedience but much more relaxed and "natural"), or... once your pup is at least 12-18 months old, you may want to try agility... you say you're not interested in that, but I've heard that from a lot of new handlers who find they really enjoy it and go on to compete.

And of course, there are things like dock diving, nose work, parkour, etc. A lot depends on what's available in your area.

(Just took a quick look at what came up for "dog training Chicago" - Yikes! Way too many board and train and "let us fix your dog" places! :-( I did however find this place that looks like it might have potential: Advanced Manners & Certifications Dog Training In Chicago )

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If at the moment you just want a well-behaved pet, I'd start looking for a CGC class. If you've gone through Obedience level 2, CGC may be a piece of cake, so look for a facility/trainer who also offers the more challenging CGCA (Community Canine) and CGCU (Urban). Both of these higher-level CGC classes will take what was learned in the CGC classes "on the road" into public spaces to really "proof" the behaviors and help you make your dog one that can truly go anywhere that dogs are allowed (a GREAT choice if you live in an urban area).

Once you get through those, you may want to look at trick dog titles, or something like Rally (which is like formal obedience but much more relaxed and "natural"), or... once your pup is at least12-18 months old, you may want to try agility... you say you're not interested in that, but I've heard that from a lot of new handlers who find they really enjoy it and go on to compete.

And of course, there are things like dog diving, nose work, parkour, etc. A lot depends on what's available in your area.

(Just took a quick look at what came up for "dog training Chicago" - Yikes! Way too many board and train and "let us fix your dog" places! :-( I did however find this place that looks like it might have potential: Advanced Manners & Certifications Dog Training In Chicago )
Thanks everyone for your response, and thanks for finding this Lisa!

We really struggled even to find our current obedience school. Before we did, we went to an open day at another school, and they only offered training through daycare WITHOUT us present, which totally defeated the purpose in my mind!!! This looks like a great next school for us - they seem to have a lot more classes as well. Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Another option is training the dog by yourself and with the help of other amateur trainers. I have never and will never do it any other way.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts