Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need recommendations!

My 55-pound 7-month old male's chewing is at a tough stage. He was good with bully sticks for a while, now he goes through them in 10 minutes. I tried a couple Himalayan dog treats and they last a bit longer but also left a million crumbs where he did his chewing. Finally, I just ordered some of those nylabone chew bones. He went through it in 15 minutes. I did pick up an elk antler for him and he chews it here and there, but I think he's lost interest due to lack of progress.

Are there any other chew treats out that I can try? I also wouldn't mind trying the Himalayan dog treats again if there was a good brand that didn't leave crumbles everywhere.

·
Registered
8,000 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You can try a split antler but if your dog does any serious bearing down when biting, it can cause problems (plus if he eats all the marrow out quickly he can get an upset tummy).

When you say nylabone, do you mean the healthy edibles like this: NYLABONE Healthy Edibles Longer Lasting Chicken Flavor Dog Bone Treat, Large - Chewy.com

Or the actual nylon bones like this: NYLABONE DuraChew Bacon Flavored Dog Chew Toy, X-Large - Chewy.com
I gave him the Nylabone healthy edibles. He had a golfball size piece broken off and in his mouth 2 minutes after I gave it to him.He has a regular nylabone too that he's had since he was a puppy and he'll gnaw on that here and there.

·
Kristy
10,013 Posts
If he's a powerful chewer, I'd be worried about him breaking a tooth. The other issue is that if he gets a soft piece of something broken off and swallows it, he's at risk for a blockage from it. My girl got a puppy nylabone when she was about 6 months old (it wasn't ours) and chewed and end off of it before I realized it and needed $3k worth of surgery to get it out. My suggestion would be for you to try raw beef shanks from the butcher. My groceries have them cut off in 2 inch cross sections as well as whole and frozen. My dogs love love love them. You just have to pick them up when they start chipping bone off the ends too much.

·
Super Moderator
1,963 Posts
I've stuffed a bully stick into a kong, and filled it with yogurt and froze the entire thing to extend the chew time :) the Kong also helps hold the stick in.

·
Registered
13,207 Posts
Shala is what I call a very dedicated chewer. She will chew hard on a Nylabone for a good hour. I get the biggest ones - like these (but not the pink version - I would not want her to have that dye):
Or these:

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
I give Barney a large Benebone. It's like a Nylabone but he likes it more. He likes the bacon flavor. When the end eventually starts to get worn down, it gets replaced. I haven't had a problem with them. He hasn't broken off any large pieces that would harm him.

Reactions: Mischevous Maeve

·
Super Moderator
1,173 Posts
A bully stick used to last months here but now is hours at best.

Something like that she will eat right through but horns and antlers she doesn't chew so hard on.

Bene bones or whatever made her very sick

·
Registered
283 Posts
A bully stick used to last months here but now is hours at best.

Something like that she will eat right through but horns and antlers she doesn't chew so hard on.

Bene bones or whatever made her very sick
What kind of illness did your dog get from Benebones Dunmar? Asking to be cautious as our dog enjoys them. So hard to find “safe” hard chews..

·
Super Moderator
1,173 Posts
She ate the whole thing and had severe vomiting and diarrhea. Just didn't seem to agree with her.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I like the Benebones for our guys. I buy the X-Large (Y shaped) and they all three can safely chew. Duke is the most aggressive chewer. He broke a tooth on an antler a few years ago so they are no longer allowed in the house.
Agree with the Y-shaped benebones. The infinity shaped ones have reviews of dogs getting their jaws stuck inside of them and needing vet removal.

We also recently have tried a few of these Pet Qwerk bones to switch things up.
Pet Qwerks BarkBone Stick Dog Chew Toy, Peanut Butter, XLarge for Large Breed Dogs : Amazon.com
Pet Qwerks Extreme Dinosaur BarkBone Dog Chew Toy, Bacon Flavor, XXXLarge : Amazon.com

So far they are working out well. But our dog is not ingesting large pieces. It seems like every chew has some risks, and needs at least some degree of supervision.

Wish our dog enjoyed Nylabone, but they don't seem to hold her interest as much as the others. She does sometimes enjoy this XL knot Nylabone:
NYLABONE DuraChew BIG Chew Knot Chicken Flavored Dog Toy, X-Large - Chewy.com

·
Registered
55 Posts
Wish our dog enjoyed Nylabone, but they don't seem to hold her interest as much as the others. She does sometimes enjoy this XL knot Nylabone:
NYLABONE DuraChew BIG Chew Knot Chicken Flavored Dog Toy, X-Large - Chewy.com
Try roughing them up if they’re not already and then spreading some peanut butter on the rough parts (not a lot just enough to get the flavor and wipe away any major excess). Another idea is to chuck it into their food bag for a few days. Then it gets the scent on it and makes it more interesting. We feed a salmon and rice blend food so it’s super stinky, lol.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I give my power chewers split antlers and still do Bully sticks but I order the 9 or 12 inch triple braided ones from pawstruck and usually can get 1-2 hours of chew time out of them but will only give them to the boys once a week or so because of the cost sometimes I'll give them a 6-9 inch straight single one as a treat but I have found the single straight or curled ones regardless of size only last 10-20 minutes at best.

·
Registered
531 Posts
beef shank bones, I get them at the supermarket. Remove the marrow bake at 225 for 20 min. Too much heat and time and they get brittle. Two of my goldens would show interest in them for 2-3 weeks.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Have you heard of Himalayan Yak Chew? Look into these. I have given these to Hudson time to time. Mostly, she likes sticks, hard driftwood "Knots" that are soft enough not to damage her teeth. I check her on this by the way. I tell her no and replace it with a game or ball chase time. I find that she gets fixated on it so I make the decision for her to change it up. From my view, it is the best thing I can do to prevent tooth damage or belly issues from swallowing chunks, etc....I just tell her "No" and give her something else to do. It seems the Yak Cheese is safe and I feel she needs to enjoy "fixation" time for a period sometimes and how I compromise with her. Even then, I take it away after a 20 min or so session of knawing.

·
Registered
13,207 Posts
^^ I tried the Himalaya Yak Chew. I only let Shala have it for about 20 minutes - she probably consumed about a third of it or so - and she threw it all up several hours later. :sick:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts