Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One week ago Bailey wouldn't eat or drink almost all day, finally in the evening she ate. Then the next day same thing in the morning, I could handfeed her finally after 1pm but then she vomitted all out. She was also sleeping almost all day and just not herself. We went twice to the vet (each day) and they checked her poop (negative) and prescribed flagyl the first day and the second day I got a nausea medication. Then on day 3 all was fine again and she acted normal and was eating and drinking regularly and active and running around as usual.
Now after 5 days all normal she's again refusing to eat her breakfast, I tried to give her some kibbles and she's not interested at all and she's again laying on the bed since she got up..
We didn't give her anything out of the ordinary and I just don't see a pattern in this.
I can't afford to go every week to the vet, already the two vet visits last week cost 230$, just saying hello to the vet is 56$...sniff. But of course I am getting worried what's wrong with her.
Anybody experienced something like this with their puppy?

·
chew chew chew
3,571 Posts
How often does she normall eat? If she's got food out all the time she just might not be that hungry, or she's tired of the food if it's the same one, maybe it was a bad batch or something, you never know. I would try a different food (by different I mean different meat source, different grains/grain free ingredients), and put her on two meals a day, and give her 10 minutes each time to eat her food. Then take it away and watch the treats and goodies the rest of the day. You may want to offer something like a spoonful of plain yogurt or slippery elm to help sooth things along, even plain pumpkin.

Hope that helps,

Lana

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
She eats 3 times a day one cup and is usually very food oriented also with her treats which are often her regular kibbles or some chicken treats or puppy biscuits.
I am wondering if she gets nausea from the glucosamine chondroitin tablets we started 3 weeks ago.. so I will keep them off and see how she does.

She just went to her bowl and is eating her food.... so maybe it's not too bad... Is she maybe getting too much food and we have to feed her just two times a day now? I am also worried because she seems very mellow as well... I am not really fond of the idea of cutting back her food as she's really on the skinny side.

I will look into the slippery elm.

thanks.

·
Coley - my cuddle bug
2,336 Posts
She is definately a doll! I hope she starts to eat regularly very soon. I really don't have any help to offer. Duke was a good eater from day one. If he was ever off his food - we were in trouble.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
I would cut back some of her food. Around 6 months is when my Bama stopped eating as much. He just stopped eating the lunch. Try alittle less food to see if that helps. And I agree with the gloucosamine tablets to see if that might be some of it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts