Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
I normally dont take pups that little on "walks". We play you can strt working on fetch and find it games. You can put him on leash and walk around the yard practice heeling and sitting. But young pups can get tired really fast so I would go to far maybe around the block or even only 1/2 ways around the block to start out with.

·
Premium Member
16,435 Posts
I take pups that age on off leash woods lollygags. They will let you know when they are tired. Just don't force a puppy and build up distance gradually. It is a great age to start practicing a recall.

·
Official Trout Bum
4,216 Posts
I asked my vet the same question years ago and his response was they'll let you know...as in they lay down and refuse to go any further. I was very careful but more than once I picked my pup up and carried her back.

Pete

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I asked my vet the same question years ago and his response was they'll let you know...as in they lay down and refuse to go any further. I was very careful but more than once I picked my pup up and carried her back.

Pete
Yeah I experienced that today. We've had a busy 2 days and I think I wore him out. Lots of fun mind games and meeting lots of people.

Talked to the vet and he said that at 10weeks he can handle 2 - 4 block walks a day. Today we only got 1 in.

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
Same here, when Coop got tired, he just flattened and refused to walk anymore. We just scooped him up. Did more honestly at home in the back yard for the first 4 wks than out in the neighborhood. Few times around our yard and play time and he was worn out.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Our puppy Casper doesn't fall to the ground when he's tired. He starts jumping, biting, and pulling. At 10 weeks, he could barely make it around the block. At 6 months, he can go about 45 minutes. He can go a maybe an hour if he's on a long lead wandering around as opposed to paying attention on a 4-foot lead.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts