Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
They get it
4,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking for a mate for Breeze. This is the one that is "leading the pack". The breeding would take place next Spring and it would have to be frozen semen, surgically inplanted, up in Canada. (I am going to have to start saving my lunch money now). Boomer is 14 years old and brings health and longevity to the pair, though Breeze's side is no slouch either.

Have any of you had experience with registering a litter by a dog across the border?

http://www.k9data.com/pedigree.asp?ID=351074

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
I have been looking for a mate for Breeze. This is the one that is "leading the pack". The breeding would take place next Spring and it would have to be frozen semen, surgically inplanted, up in Canada. (I am going to have to start saving my lunch money now). Boomer is 14 years old and brings health and longevity to the pair, though Breeze's side is no slouch either.

Have any of you had experience with registering a litter by a dog across the border?

http://www.k9data.com/pedigree.asp?ID=351074
I know nothing about breeding, pedigrees.... but sounds like an exciting endeavor you are undertaking.

·
They get it
4,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know nothing about breeding, pedigrees.... but sounds like an exciting endeavor you are undertaking.
Thank you Lucky's mom, I guess the other 23 viewers didn't think much of the breeding, or they don't care. Oh well. I thank you for your post.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Woow, look at those titles on both sides!! I don't know anything about breeding but I'm sure someone who understands it will comment soon. Breeze is so cute!!

·
Where The Bitches Rule
6,429 Posts
The pedigree is nice with nice longevity (esp. on the sire's side). Some very influential dogs on both sides of the pedigree. But the COI is a little on the high side for my preference (12-13%) but not that uncommon. I prefer under 10% as a general rule of thumb.
As for registering the pup, both sire and dam are AKC registered according to K9Data so that would not be any issue at all.

Good luck with what ever choice you make on your next pup.

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
Thank you Lucky's mom, I guess the other 23 viewers didn't think much of the breeding, or they don't care. Oh well. I thank you for your post.
Oh try not to take it personally. A breeding thread can make people wary until they know the person involved and their background.

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
Some of us just look at the K9 date with an eye toward trying to learn something---but don't know enough to comment

·
They get it
4,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I can understand that, but this will be my second Golden litter in 20 years. Also, Breeze has all of her certifications (just got her second eye clearance today). I don't take breeding lightly, that's why I am going the route I am. I could just as easily breed her to Dooley, not that it would be a bad match, but it is not the best I could do.

·
Where The Bitches Rule
6,429 Posts
Obviously I skipped right over the first sentance of your post, I did not realize Breeze was your girl. Why will the breeding be done across the border? The only "drawback" will be that the pups will never be able to be shown in American Bred in an AKC show. Not that that is a big deal but I was curious why.

·
They get it
4,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Janice only has 2 more vials in storage here in Oregon. The others are in Canada, and she has a vet who will implant them there. Also, since it is just over the border, it won't be that much farther to drive.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Hey Laura, the link from Breeze's page on K9Data took me to a another kennel's webpage, not yours.

·
They get it
4,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey Laura, the link from Breeze's page on K9Data took me to a another kennel's webpage, not yours.
Well, that is weird! I can't get to it from there either. I took the site off for now, I'll contact the webmaster to see what is going on. My website is www.windyridgegoldens.com

Thanks for letting me know.

·
the party's crashing us
4,420 Posts
For ease of paperwork I would see if you can get the frozen semen shipped to your local vet. Why jump through more hoops than you have to? You can have it shipped well in advance so you know it is there safe and sound waiting for you.
Fisher's first frozen litter was to a bitch in British Columbia, both dogs AKC registered but she was CKC registered too. CKC is behind the times as far as paperwork but after mailing forms back and forth between us, AKC, CKC, my vet, her vet and congress, the litter was registered both AKC & CKC.

·
the party's crashing us
4,420 Posts
Oh and for comments on the breeding itself. Obviously Stanley and Boomer's reputation as sires and performance goldens speaks for themselves. Field trial goldens are such a small gene pool though -- I would ask myself -- if you do this breeding and keep a bitch, who do you breed HER to? What is the future? Yes you will get awesome working dogs, but where does it go from here? I am not saying this to discourage you but rather I'm always interested in where breeders are going down line from where they are now.
That is probably why the COI is a bit higher in field trial bred goldens -- popular sires abound. Not like that doesn't happen with show stuff but we have more to choose from.
Best of luck!!!

·
Barley & Mira's Mom
3,489 Posts
Laura, I think that looks like a good breeding. I have never met Stanley or Boomer personally, I have met kids from both dogs as well as a half-sib to Boomer. Peach is known as a top producer of field line Goldens, and you know I love my Bart girl. Basically that pedigree is full of all sorts of good stuff. Give me some time this week and I will see if I can do some research on similar breedings. Also the dogs that are high on the COI are all great dogs... But like Anney said, that breeding includes a lot of the top field sires out there, thoughts on your next move?

·
Premium Member
16,438 Posts
I remember that Jackie Mertens chose Boomer for her best girlie AFC Paws OD FDHF a while back. I bet your puppies will be firecrackers.

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
I don't know enough to comment except that it sounds very well planned and researched, I can't wait to see the puppy pictures!

·
Where The Bitches Rule
6,429 Posts
For ease of paperwork I would see if you can get the frozen semen shipped to your local vet. Why jump through more hoops than you have to? You can have it shipped well in advance so you know it is there safe and sound waiting for you.
Fisher's first frozen litter was to a bitch in British Columbia, both dogs AKC registered but she was CKC registered too. CKC is behind the times as far as paperwork but after mailing forms back and forth between us, AKC, CKC, my vet, her vet and congress, the litter was registered both AKC & CKC.
I do remember when I was planning my first breeding and the boy I really wanted to use was in Canada. The bitch was "due" to come in around October and I was driving up to do a batural breeding. Well like all things "well planned" out the bitch did not come in till the end of Novemeber. I was not willing to make the 11 hour, each way,drive at the time of the year. We looked into do a fresh chill breeding but the paperwork/customs requirement were so cumbersome shipping the goods into the US the stud owners volunteered to drive 3 hours, again one way, across the border into the US to have the goods clooected and shipped from the US. I declined there generous offer as again at that time of year who knew what the weather conditions would be when I "needed" the goods. I ended up doing a failed cool chill breeding to a west coast dog. The following summer we drove up to Canada and did a natural that produced 9 lovely pups.
I kind of went off topic here. What my point was that 9 years ago it was much more difficult to ship the "goods" from Canada to the US than it was to ship "goods" from the US to Canada. Not sure if it is still that way or not.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts