Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Teddy and Dakota's Mommy
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few weeks ago, I was told that the family that moved in across the street had a pit bull and another dog. I was also told that the pitbull had "attacked" one of the neighbors by grabbing her pant leg when she walked in the front door. I know the people that own the house and I talked with her and she had said she met the pitbull and was shocked.
As we were coming home from dinner tonight, we saw a very large dog standing in our driveway. He looked like a puppy to me and I didn't recognize him so I figured he was one of the new dogs. I got out of the car and left the door open and figured if it "charged" at me I could jump in and close the door. Instead, I was greeted by a bum-wiggly, tail wagging, head-jostling running puppy that was so excited to see me. This was not a vicious dog by a long shot. I grabbed his collar and started walking him home. I was met by his owner and we started talking and I asked about the rumors. This was not the pitbull but she did have an American Bulldog with a small amount of pitbull. Her version of the story of what happened was very different.

Long story short, my husband was upset that I just got out of the car for the dog and said I shouldn't have done it but I really didn't think it was dangerous. What do you all think?
Also, this 8mth old puppy was so friendly, if he was living with a "vicious" dog, would he be so friendly towards complete strangers?

·
Kate
21,672 Posts
I was also told that the pitbull had "attacked" one of the neighbors by grabbing her pant leg when she walked in the front door.
If this is an "attack", I must say I was attacked multiple times today by the collie. o_O

I'm not making light of the situation. The dog may be dangerous - and the fact he did that pants grabbing thing, may indicate he does not have his manners down pat yet. Because the person who had their pants grabbed knew he had pit or bull dog in him, that probably made this a much bigger and scarier deal, than if that dog were a collie or a golden retriever.

I would have walked the dog home - providing I evaluated the situation and did not feel threatened by the dog. As you did.

I think you did a good thing getting that dog home. Maybe the favor will be returned if gosh-forbid your dog ever gets loose.

·
Registered
10,465 Posts
I would take caution approaching ANY strange dog, regardless of breed, but for the most part you can tell a friendly dog from an aggressive one as you approach it.

I've also had dogs go at my shoes or pant legs...never called it "attacking" just rude behaviour!

A month or so ago, there was a furnace repair guy here and Reece (my Pitbull for those who don't know) was sniffing him and kinda pawing at him to try and say hi and he's like "She's attacking me" :doh:

So I took her and put her in the bedroom. Some people just like to exaggerate based on the breed I think.

·
The Truth Is Out There
258 Posts
Would have done the same thing.

the key thing is to watch there reaction this pup was happy to see you, so you did the right thing and took him home. Plus you could escape to the car if needed.

It could have been the dog that "attacted" your neibour but then again it may not have been, weather it was or not it still needed to go home

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
You did not do anything different than I would have. Your gut will tell you if a dog is viscious. We had a neighbor who had a huge GSD mix, big and black. I was not afraid of him, but the only reason he let me pet him when I met him was that the owner was there. I could tell he was not thrilled with me petting him. I knew I would never go near him without her around. She later got rid of him, I assume for being over protective. He did not like men, which made it hard for her to meet a guy. (her husband had up and left her one day). Trust your instincts and you will be fine....

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
You were smart than I would have been I would have shut the car door...hahaha. I have no fear of dogs the only time I feel scared is when I am with a group of people I dont know.

I would stirke up a converstation again with the neighbor and try to meet the Am. Bulldog. I have only met nice people friendly ones all of them were a little DA but not as bad as the APBT.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I would have probably done the same thing. You were faced with a wiggly, happy to see you individual dog...not a breed.

There is always reason to be cautious with any dog you don't know...but very few pups are going to give off those signals and not be friendly. I hope you can meet the APBT too. Maybe it's advance billing is over-dramatized also. I've met some great ones, some not so great....mostly just very protective of their families.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts