Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I am looking and looking and looking for my lab puppy. I find leads and then I run into "snags". I found one in Canada, the females dam is not on the OFA information at all. Now it could be she was an import I suppose, but what would you do in this situation?

I am being very careful as I don't want another Teddi, but I feel like there is nothing out there.

Also are "BIG" breeders a good thing or bad? I saw one, reasonably priced pups, great guarantee, they require you to keep their name in the dogs registered name so I would think they are trying to breed quality. Shy away or investigate?

I am SO confused.... :sadwavey:

·
Chantilly Goldens
3,381 Posts
Also are "BIG" breeders a good thing or bad? I saw one, reasonably priced pups, great guarantee, they require you to keep their name in the dogs registered name so I would think they are trying to breed quality. Shy away or investigate?

Do you mean the kennel name? Yes, I require this as well and this is totally normal. I worked very hard to prepare the bitch for breeding, titled her, did her clearances, carefully planned the sire, bred the litter and put all the time and $$ into the babies, darn right my kennel will be on ALL puppies. If they do all their clearances, title the dogs and are reputable breeders then I would ask my questions etc. If they meet the requirements and you feel right about them its probably okay. If you are thinking about any breeder you could post there website in the "Other Pets" part of the forum for some other opinions. Many do that here for GR's. Good luck.

·
the party's crashing us
4,420 Posts
Hi Ann,
There are GOBS of GREAT performance Labrador litters out there!!
I'm assuming (maybe I'm wrong) that you want a puppy to do performance events with, not for the show ring.
If so you have everything to choose from.
May I suggest you look at the litters advertised on Retriever Training Forum, as all lab litters must have hip and eye clearances. Most of the litters also have clearances for elbows, CNM and EIC.
http://www.retrievertraining.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=31
If you want to do performance, starting with a field-bred lab is the way to go.
Best of luck.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Ok I am looking and looking and looking for my lab puppy. I find leads and then I run into "snags". I found one in Canada, the females dam is not on the OFA information at all. Now it could be she was an import I suppose, but what would you do in this situation?

I am being very careful as I don't want another Teddi, but I feel like there is nothing out there.

if it were me I would ask the breeder for the certificates... remember that in canada many will use OVC for their hip clearances instead of OFA... in the same way that many in the UK will use BVA instead of OFA... I personally prefer BVA hip certs as it gives me an actual number. She could also have had a penn hip done...

I would ask

s

1 - 4 of 4 Posts