Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
8,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You had, to go from living in a home, with huge yard, no stray dogs, ever come into your yard, got invisable fence, over 10 years, to having, to move across country, into a apartment, no yard, nothing save, can't have invisable fence, or any other kind, huge downward change, what is best for my dogs? No dog parks either.

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
I don't think I totally understand the question. Are you asking whether you should take your dogs with you if that was what you had to move to? I'd say for me and my dogs, that would work fine. It would just mean that I'd have to get up and walk them in the morning and then again in the afternoon. My dogs are good overall off-leash so I'd find a place where I could hike with them off-leash on the weekends. Either way, they'd be happier wherever I am, regardless of the yard issue. I lived in a townhouse for 4 years with two dogs, so I know it can be done.

·
Banned
25 Posts
I think that it would be in your golden's best interest to stay with you. It is obvious how much you care for them and I am confident in saying that they will be happy wherever you are. They are truly blessed to have you.

My apologies to goldensrbest and any other members who may have been offended by my post. It was not meant maliciously.

·
Kate
21,228 Posts
It really depends... on the energy level of your dogs, how many dogs you have, your ability to walk your dogs daily, how big the apartment is.

With our two dogs it would be pretty easy. They are used to being offleash in our yard several times a day, but they would adapt. With our cat - not so much. I would be terrified of my cat getting out and getting hurt - he absolutely needs a big yard.

Personally speaking, I would prefer to lease a townhouse or a condo. Only because you would get some outdoor space.

·
Registered
10,465 Posts
The apartment issue doesn't bother me, I've done that with two large dogs, the point you made about having no money saved would bother me. If something were to happen, it's not leaving you in a good sitatuation.

·
Registered
981 Posts
I lived in an apartment for 8 years with 2 dogs, no fence and no dog parks. They didn't care as long as they were getting two walks a day.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
As always it 'all depends'. I have a huge yard. What do my dogs do when I'm not home? They sleep. Angelina may go hunting lizards here and there and Cannella rolls in lawn, but mostly they sleep. Same thing if they are in the house (if it is raining, sleep time)!

But they are walked in the morning and evening and paid attention to constantly. I can't afford much, but I can afford a dog exerciser to take Cannella out once a week. Both dogs are happy, well balanced and healthy.

So it all depends....I hope it all works out for you.

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
The apartment issue doesn't bother me, I've done that with two large dogs, the point you made about having no money saved would bother me. If something were to happen, it's not leaving you in a good sitatuation.
no yard, nothing save, can't have invisable fence
Huh - uh, she meant to type "safe" as stated in a later post.

It has been so long since I lived in an apartment, I can't give an answer and I've only had dogs in the last 8+ years while in our house so I have no experience.
I hope things work out for you in a good way.:crossfing

·
Registered
10,465 Posts
Huh - uh, she meant to type "safe" as stated in a later post.

It has been so long since I lived in an apartment, I can't give an answer and I've only had dogs in the last 8+ years while in our house so I have no experience.
I hope things work out for you in a good way.:crossfing
My bad. Missed the 2nd post.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have 2 dogs and if I had to live in apartment like you mentioned they would both be fine as long as they were with me. I have a fenced backyard presently and they don't spend much time out there unless I'm out. I think you would be surprised at how well the dogs would adapt. As long as they went for their walks I'm sure they would be just fine in any situation.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Been there, done that. :)

We went from owning a home with a fairly good sized, fenced-in backyard to an apartment. No problem at all!

We never used our yard for the bulk of Riley's exercise, anyway, so there was basically no adjustment involved, for him. He gets his two long walks and one shorter walk a day, and he's perfectly happy.

Gunner was still with us when we moved here, and it was a bit more of an adjustment for him, since he didn't care much for leash walking. He wanted to RUN. Had he not gotten sick, I'd have had to work on his recall (which was horrible) and would have had to find a place where I could safely let him run off-leash. It might not have been as easy as simply opening the back door and stepping outside to throw a ball, but it would have been perfectly do-able.

Really, it just takes some time management and planning on your part. As long as you make the time to get your dogs some good exercise, I don't see a problem.

The loose strays would concern me, though.

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
Yeah, I've done it too. Flora and I moved from a large house with an expansive back yard in a super friendly neighborhood to living in a very small apartment with no fenced in yard. However, I do have a large grassy lot in my apartment complex right by my front door, so we do use that. I keep her on a leash.

I just make sure to exercise her as much as I can when I'm home, since I can't simply let her out doors to run around as she pleases. If you can find parks or trails you can always determine when the "off" hours are and take your dogs off leash there, if they're reliable. I take Flora on hiking paths and let her off leash and she runs as she pleases with no problem.

It's doable, just so long as you make sure to exercise your dog!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts