Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
I don’t have any advice on the best combination of medications as luckily we didn’t have to go this route yet, but definitely it is worth trying all different venues in search for the right outcome.

Gatsby used to have seizures about once a month for about year and a half. He didn’t have any seizure since this past June.

There are only 2 possibilities I can think of that could explain his remission. It is either the CBD (I found good quality, very expensive oil) or I eliminated the triggers of his seizures which I believe were high frequency beeping instruments with my dryer being the worst offender.

Good luck with Piper. I hope you will find a right remedy soon and she will get a long break from the dreaded seizures.

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
I was told about your posts by a member as I don't usually visit the forum an longer. I have a almost 4 year old golden, Bailey, who has been diagnosed with idiopathic epilepsy. He takes Zonisamide. Zonisamide can be taken alone or with other epilepsy drugs such as phenobarbital. It has been shown to be very effective. In Bailey's case he takes only Zonisamide. Twice a day (it is critical that it be give 12 hours apart in his case). He has not had a seizure since February 2018. Prior to that he would have several seizures a week. We get the Zonisamide at Costco. A one month supply is under $30.
If you are near a Costco the savings on drugs is tremendous. It is the least expensive place to purchase medications.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
NewYears Eve and piper presented with the pre-seizure posturing but we did the ocular compression and circular rubbing on and off for about 40 minutes and she never had the seizure. A number of members mentioned it in another thread and after researching it a bit we decided to try it. I won’t call it successful until it has worked multiple times, and we still have to find the right medication for when we aren’t here to rub her eyeballs! We are going to get try the university of Minnesota vet clinic, and see if they have any other ideas before we start another drug. They used to be every two weeks and now we are At one per week, and we are considering changing from nutrisource dog food to I don’t know what. We are also a beeping house with every appliance beeping when it’s done, as well as constant outside activity where we live. We re planning on using hemp treats tonight in case of fireworks for New Year’s Eve. She tends to have seizures every time she hears fireworks.

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
I am glad she has you doing so much for her. I hope it goes well tonight.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Monday, January 7th and another seizure started. They seem to come every Monday morning now like clockwork! Could it be the garbage trucks? That seems to be the only thing that happens every Monday. Did the ocular massage again and it worked again! Rubbed for about 10 seconds then break, then 10 seconds and etc. only took about 30 minutes this time until the twitching and blinking subsided. She then got her spoon of vanilla ice cream that everyone recommends (with my luck she is lactose intolerant ?) and I kept the icepack on her shoulders for a bit and now she is sleeping. We have an appointment for her at the end of This month at the University of Minnesota veterinary neurology clinic so we are not starting her on the Keppra until we hear what they have to say. Keeping our fingers crossed and our eyeballs massaged!

Attachments

·
Registered
213 Posts
Glad to hear the ocular massage is somewhat working. Never heard of it, I will try the next time!

Garbage truck sounds like a possible legit culprit at least in our case.

We had a nice long break from seizures since June 2018 until yesterday and today.

We started house renovation this weekend, some walls and ceilings being removed, lots of noise and drilling. Gatsby had his first seizure after 6-month break yesterday Sunday and Monday morning today (same timing as Piper). It is the first time he had 2 seizures within a month, but a day apart….. can’t even collect my thoughts. It has to be stress associated with so many changes coming from renovation, no use of the kitchen, displaced food and water balls, on top of the terrible noise that I can't stand.

Good Luck with the neuro visit! And please keep us posted.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Piper reacts strongly to construction noises like nail guns and compressors. I think it just all sounds like fireworks to her. She always has seizures after she hears fireworks but where we live it’s hard to keep her from hearing them. The ocular compression really seems to be working, but I start it the minute I notice her seizure indicators. I also put an ice pack on her neck. I’m so sorry that yours have started up again. We do use hemp sticks and gun safety ear protection when we are expecting fireworks. Does seem to help!

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Well, we visited the veterinary neurologist at the University of Minnesota on Monday the 28th and it doesn’t feel like very good news. He feels strongly that it’s idiopathic epilepsy and that nothing he sees warrants more tests. He does feel that the vet has her under-medicated and upped her phenobarbital from 90 mg to 120mg morning and evening. He also said that phenobarbital captures 75% of seizures in dogs. Adding a second drug captures another 5% of the remaining 25%. A third drug will capture another 5% of what’s remaining and same with the fourth. There are some dogs on 4 different meds and some dogs that nothing seems to work. He said that her phenobarbital levels were at 25 and that he felt comfortable going up to 35 before we add another drug. He was happy to hear that the ocular massage was helping. Said that he would have recommended it if we hadn’t already started it. He was so-so on the CBD/hemp oil though. He said they’ve also had a lot of luck with acupuncture and their holistic veterinarian recommends a “cool” diet for seizure dogs, as well as a new Purina dog food called brain health. I will be doing some research on both of those. With her most recent seizure Piper had some spots popping on the side of her eyeball. He said that he hadn’t seen that before and didn’t think it was related to the seizures and recommended we take her to a veterinary ophthalmologist. We did ask what he thought her life expectancy would be and he said probably another 5.5 years. We asked if the seizures would end her life, and he said that it’s usually not the seizures but from something associated with it. He also said that a lot of people just finally choose to have their dog put to sleep, as the seizures, time and cost get to be too much. All in all, not a very uplifting visit. Right now we have decided to up the phenobarbital and wait to see how that works. Will do what we’ve done all along, and decide one thing at a time.

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
I'm sorry the news was not good. Maybe the increased phenobarbital will help.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Well, this will be my last post here. Our wonderful golden piper passed away last night at the age of 2.5. We added Zonisimide to her phenobarbital starting April 15 to help manage her weekly seizures. Her seizures lessened but she didn’t seem to take well to this medication. She was very lethargic and wouldn’t eat anything. We stopped it on the 7th of May and her lethargy continued and we took her to the vet this Monday. Her red blood cell count was down to 12 so we took her to the veterinary hospital at the University of Minnesota. They kept her overnight and when it dropped further down to 8, they stated a blood transfusion. She rallied for a bit after that then they dropped again. We did a second transfusion and her RBC went up to 23 and stayed. Unfortunately she continued to decline from a neurological standpoint and she passed yesterday evening. We don’t know why she declined the way she did, but the vet believes that there was a chance she threw a blood clot to the brain with the transfusions. We had her scheduled for an MRI at 4:00 yesterday but decided against it when she went downhill so rapidly. Our hearts are breaking. We don’t know what it was about this dog, but she had a way of making everyone around her feel nothing but love. She was cherished every day she was with us, and for 2.5 short years she got to have an amazing life. She got to play with other Golden’s, swim in the lake in the summer, catch snowballs in the winter and sleep in very soft beds every night of her very short life. She was sassy and talked back frequently and we loved it. She followed me everywhere I went every single day. Our house is very empty without her. The U of M vet said that Golden’s have a lot of problems and that they are very overbred which makes me even more sad. We bought from what we thought was a very reputable breeder but I’ve come to learn that you need to pick a breeder that does extensive genetic testing and is very cautious about the dogs they breed. She maybe wasn’t born perfect, but she was perfect for us.

Attachments

·
Registered
745 Posts
Having a rescue dog with severe seizures which we ended up adopting, I wish I could give proper suggestions. We tried many protocols unsuccesfully. However, besides CBD oil, I will also suggest RAW feeding which we started with barf, converting slowly to semicooked and were thinking switching to completely to RAW. However, we postponed the % 100 raw since we plan to make him visit Europe in a couple of month with a vet university specialized in seizures. They also have a phone application which enables to track and meisure the intervals & strength of seizures.

·
Registered
5,826 Posts
I'm so very sorry for your loss.

Reactions: Loriaaa

·
Registered
745 Posts
Oh dear, sorry for your loss. For your perfect Piper. I apologize aswell not having read through the whole thread. I thought it was just opened.

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
I'm so sorry. I hate seeing this. I hope you find comfort in knowing you did everything you could for her and that her short life was filled with love.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts