Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today when I was gone for an hour, Brooks got into my pantry closet and stole a 1 lb package of dried beans, tore it open, and left beans scattered on the floor.
I couldn't remember if the package had been opened before he got into it. I weighed the remaining beans and there were only 8 oz left.
Fearful that the beans would cause some kind of bloating when they began to absorb moisture I gave him hydrogen peroxide so he threw up.
I never saw any beans but did find a weird piece of red plastic tape like stuff (like the plastic that used to surround bologna many years ago). I have no idea what that plastic was from, but thought it might not have been too good in his intestines.
What won't these dogs eat?

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
Sorry to see Brooks was a little naughty today. I am sure he has given you all the sorry mom looks and batted those golden eyes at you!!;)

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
One day Hank ate 4 game pieces from Trouble. I can't imagine why after the first non-flavorful piece he'd eat 3 more! We had confetti poop for a day or 2 after that.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Lola eats ANYTHING. I have never had a dog put so many things in her mouth before. I bought her a new toy a week ago- she murdered it- and chewed it up into pieces....( a heavy duty toy supposssssssssssssssssly...) in her poop next day I found pieces of blue and orange plastic.....:doh:. I am constantly pulling things out of her mouth- things I drop that even I do not know I dropped! She really has good eye sight- do not have to worry about that!:no:

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just realized that red plastic tape stuff that was in his stomach probably was from the stuff left outside by the roofers (Brooks got into their store of Maruchen Instant Noodles-I found him with the box that he had torn to shreds and a noodle pack in his mouth.....who knows what other food they left sitting outside that he ate?)

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
Penny's not one to eat/swallow stuff. But, I had a Malamute years ago who ate the little Christmas lights off an evergreen outside!:doh: I never understood why all that glass didn't kill her but she was one tuff doggie! The lights were plugged in at the time. :bowl:

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
And is he on a special diet for food allergies or anything like that? Wouldn't that be the irony? Eat all kinds of cr*p but can't tolerate dog food!

I just realized that red plastic tape stuff that was in his stomach probably was from the stuff left outside by the roofers (Brooks got into their store of Maruchen Instant Noodles-I found him with the box that he had torn to shreds and a noodle pack in his mouth.....who knows what other food they left sitting outside that he ate?)

·
Registered
2 Posts
We have 2 Golden's, Dewey 5 y/o and Daisy 1.5 y/o. Dewey will only chew on chewy bones and loves tennis balls. Daisy...on the other hand, will eat anything that can fit in her mouth. Just last night she swallowed a ankle sock...whole!! Of course we freaked. This morning, first thing we called our Vet, but... just after we got off the phone she vomited it back up. Someone is looking out for Daisy...LOL!!! She has eaten so many paper towels, dropped medications, napkins, paper, pieces of tennis balls and many other things. She even swallowed a huge piece of rawhide, we took her to the Vet and had an x-ray, the rawhide was moving well but the Vet seen a metal twist tie in her bowel., which she did pass later that night. Our baby girl has almost put us in therapy for stress relief. I think our BP has raised since we purchased her as a pup. Although, she is well worth the issues, her energy and special nature can just make your day. Dewey is just an all around perfect Golden!!

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
One facecloth recently cost me $5600 to have removed from Brady's stomach and intestines - thank goodness I love him so much!

My goldens LOVE empty toilet paper rolls! The are constantly stealing them from the trash.

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Any paper we have handled (mail, tissues, etc) that is in the trash is what Brooks will go for and then prance by us (so we see he has it) then run under the table and start eating it.
He must be thinking he is playing that game that dogs play with each other, "see what I have? Nanny nanny boo boo, you can't catch me!" then they must eat the thing to show the other dog how great the item is)

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
Any paper we have handled (mail, tissues, etc) that is in the trash is what Brooks will go for and then prance by us (so we see he has it) then run under the table and start eating it.
He must be thinking he is playing that game that dogs play with each other, "see what I have? Nanny nanny boo boo, you can't catch me!" then they must eat the thing to show the other dog how great the item is)
Yep - whenever one of the goldens is under the kitchen table, I know it is time to do a mouth check!!!

·
Registered
38 Posts
My daughter's golden, Duke, once pulled an entire, large, stuffed-crust, Pizza Hut pizza off of the kitchen counter, got it out of the box, and ate the whole thing.

Another time, we brought four ribeye steaks off the grill and set them on a plate in the center of the kitchen table. All he left were the greasy drag marks where he pulled them across the table.

But the weirdest was when we came back from shopping, and I put a ten pound bag of sugar on the kitchen floor, and I forgot to put it away. I had accidentally poked a hole in the top of the bag at the store. A few minutes later, Duke came upstairs with his face caked with sugar and his eyes almost fused shut. He enlarged the little hole and ate about a third of the bag. Over three pounds of sugar! My wife filled his water bucket (about a gallon) and he drank the whole bucket. Then he went downstairs and threw up what was essentially Karo syrup. Gin-clear puddles all over the place. Thankfully, the basement floor is tile. I never thought a dog would eat sugar.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Ace hasn't swallowed anything too strange (that I know of) but it's not uncommon for his bowel movements to be multicoloured and filled with unknown things.

A few weeks ago, my sister left Ace gated in the kitchen while she went to pick up my niece from kindergarten, and when she got home Ace had eaten two full loafs of bread and a bag of bagels. Just last week he hauled a full container of butter off the counter and licked it clean while my sister napped in the living room. We now keep the cupboards securely closed, and leave nothing on the edge of the counters. I also told my sister to put Ace in his kennel when she's not watching him, lest he eat himself to death.

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
OMIGOD!! I am giong to give my two the biggest hugs when I get home. Bless their little golden hearts they don't counter surf and don't eat things. And I will stop complaining about them NOT cleaning the floor when I drop something in the kitchen. I will happily clean it up now and stop complaining!!

·
Davina
392 Posts
OMG I know I shouldn't laugh about any of this but some of these things were so funny. AND I really shouldn't laugh because at 7 weeks old Sharlette is already giving me a run for my money on the eating random things. I am about every 5 min having to pull some non edible object from her mouth and I say " GAH why are you eating that" if she finds it and it is on the floor she will eat it. NO MATTER WHAT IT IS! I dread when she is old enough to eat bigger things. UHG am I in for it.

·
Premium Member
4,653 Posts
I'm a home remodeling contractor. Our crews have learned that certain items are very edible by dogs. The biggest item they love is blue masking tape. Something in the glue they really enjoy. We have to keep that stuff locked up when we are in a house with dogs. The other thing some really like is collated staples, screws and nails. They are collated with strips of plastic. They get to chewing on them and before you know it they've eaten quite a bit. We also see carpet padding getting chewed too. It's amazing how much they can pack away. Some dogs are very sneaky about it too. Of course the guys occasionally loose a lunch to a wandering dog nose!

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
If I am late returning home from work, 3 1/2 year old Nygel will get any type of paper (mail, newspapers, magazines, toilet paper, etc, etc) and chew it up in a million pieces. Ironically, I work 1 1/2 hours later on Fridays and he's okay with that :confused::confused: He obviously knows the days of the week.

Now, 13 month old Thai likes eating shoes, socks, underwear and anything else that he can get his mouth on. There are times when I'm cleaning up the backyard dog dirt that I wonder what he was eating because there are coloured pieces in his feces.

3 year old Razz doesn't eat anything but he likes to tear apart stuffed toys and tear the fabric off any tennis ball available.

The only dog toy safe in our home is lacrosse balls - we've actually had the same orange lacrosse ball for 7 mos to throw for the boys. Not only are they less expensive @ $3.99/each than "normal" dog balls but much more durable as well.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I so enjoyed this post!! I laughed all the way through it. Thanks for sharing all the great insights to our wonderful sweet goldens;)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts