Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Official Trout Bum
4,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was raised with a German Short Haired Pointer, Heidi. *She was a wonderful dog and the story I remember most about her was when we were just little tikes my parents had an Easter Egg hunt all planned while we were at our mountain cabin. * They got up early to hide the eggs outside and then let Heidi out to do her business. *Of course when got up we could hardly wait to get outside and find all the eggs. *

When we got out all that was left were piles of egg shells where Heidi had found each and every egg and emptied it of it's contents. *I still smile thinking about that...

I got a Golden because I think it was just in my genes to own one...I loved all forms of water, loved the fact that they were so willing to cooperate, *they were good bird dogs and fell in love with the look and disposition. *They were my perfect dog!!! You just can't do any better than a GOLDEN!!!

Pete

Reactions: drloripalooza

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
We had a Border Collie Mix when I was little. She died before I was old enough to have the desire to train a dog. My first dog on my own was/is a golden (he's 14 now!). I picked a golden because they are the best! Actually I got interested in hunting, etc. My BIL had a couple of goldens too and I really liked them, so I got Sage.

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
My first dog of adulthood was from the pound back when they still called them dog pounds. She was a golden/Irish setter mix I think. She was a beautiful girl. Next was a possibly full golden that I got from friends whose dog had pups. Lost her to cancer. Next was Oakly then Caue who you all know.

·
Registered
115 Posts
my first dog was a female golden that my parents purchased from a pet store when I was two. My very first memory is of them bringing her home. She was also the first dog I lost. I stayed up all night with the poor girl when she was developed pyometra. My mother couldn't bare to get another golden right away so she got a chocolate lab pup. I always wanted another golden and it wasn't even a question when I got my first dog in my own home.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The first dog I ever owned was a white mutt....a mix of possibly everything. Most of my childhood we only ever had 'pound dogs' and one of my favorite dogs as a child was a german shepherd,Golden Retriever,Newfie mix and he was just amazing. My uncle had Golden retrievers and labs and I've always liked them....but I liked the golden a little more because the labs were more 'neurotic' at times in my opinion. When I became an adult and moved into my own house I brought along an old mutt that I rescued. She eventually passed away and the first dog my husband and I got was a malamute....shortly after when the malamute was about 8 months old we added a 4 month old Golden Retriever pup into the family. Since then we've experienced two other breeds but always come back to the Golden (we've owned 4 goldens over the years) I think because IMO they were the easiest to train, had an all around good personality compared to some breeds I've owned but most of all we love that they love water....we spend alot of time in the summer next to or on the water and when you have a dog that HATES water it kind of takes the fun out of some of our summer activities.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
My very first dog was a lhasa apso my parents had before I was born. Tigger was mean as anything...I remember throwing balogna at her and when she was distracted eating it, I would rush in, pet her, and rush out. When I was 15, my mom put me in charge of picking the new puppy and paying for it...I knew I wanted a big dog, so I went through my dad's akc breed guide and wrote down the 3 dogs I liked the look of most. I then researched them and decided on a golden. We found an ad for golden puppies and the rest is history...my parents will only have goldens, I will only have goldens, and, though he fought it, my husband will only have goldens.

·
Registered
417 Posts
My first and only dog growing up was a crazy, energetic, loveable brittany named Charlie. Boy, could that boy run! He would break free from his tie out on a weekly basis (we obviously weren't giving him enough exercise :eek:) and just TEAR through the neighborhood. We were the joke on the street. Everyone knew he was ours. But we loved him. He lived to be fifteen. I still think of him.

We did a ton of research before choosing a golden as the first pup for our crazy current family - but I'd always wanted a golden, and my husband knew this would really be "my" dog, so he let me take the reigns. I've always liked bigger dogs, and I'm EXTREMELY active outside, so I knew I'd want t dog who could enjoy that with me. And I also figured a golden could adapt well to life here at home with three young and energetic human siblings. We couldn't be happier. :)

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
My first dog was a wirehair terrier-airedale mix. His name was Frisky and he was my birthday present when I turned 8. We lost him 2 days after my 26th birthday. After having a dog for 18 years, I didn't think I could ever handle the pain of losing one again. Fast forward 10 years, my husband and I had been married about 6 months before he started telling me daily that we NEED a dog. I had just started researching breeds, when Bentley found us (that's a long story) and we're so glad he did :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
I never had a dog growing up. A few years ago I was working as a tech in the emergency department when an unidentified teenager came in with a head injury: Car vs. Bicycle.
Her family arrived shortly thereafter, they were here from Canada camping. The young girl was admitted to the hospital. That night I took care of their Golden retriever, going out to the caravan several times to walk her, give her treats, and water. The next morning it was clear that they would need to stay at the hospital for quite some time. I offered to take care of their girl, Splash. Splash spent the next 3 weeks with us. I knew then that I definitely wanted a golden retriever some day.

·
Kristy
9,824 Posts
The first dog we had when I was a kid lived until I was about 7 or 8. A neurotic dachsund named "Mister". He was my mother's dog before my parents met and he was, by all accounts, the most stubborn dog ever.

My first dog as an adult was a gift from the idiot college boyfriend I almost made the mistake of marrying. But oh how I loved that dog. He was a Sheltie named "Wesley", but a good 45 pounds, I think there was some collie in there. I guess he was close to two years old and someone was just getting rid of him. He was such a character..... Such a good dog.

When Wesley died I was utterly devastated, it was just me and my two year old daughter. We were living in Atlanta and I had always wanted a big dog. It was 1999 and the internet was becoming a useful tool for researching dog breeds. I had it narrowed down between wanting a golden and a lab. I figured I needed to visit a breeder in person. Got a referral from the Golden Retriever Club of Atlanta and went out to visit a lady who trained retrievers. She had two golden litters on the ground, both ready to go home. One was straight field and the other was a conformation/field pedigree Pekay/Topbrass... of course Baxter came home with us that night.... Such a smart dog and so good. I figured out pretty quickly I needed help and took private lessons with a trainer who helped a lot. That dog learned things so easily, it fooled me into thinking I could actually train a dog. I miss that boy like crazy. Still. He's been gone over two years now.

·
Kristy
9,824 Posts
I never had a dog growing up. A few years ago I was working as a tech in the emergency department when an unidentified teenager came in with a head injury: Car vs. Bicycle.
Her family arrived shortly thereafter, they were here from Canada camping. The young girl was admitted to the hospital. That night I took care of their Golden retriever, going out to the caravan several times to walk her, give her treats, and water. The next morning it was clear that they would need to stay at the hospital for quite some time. I offered to take care of their girl, Splash. Splash spent the next 3 weeks with us. I knew then that I definitely wanted a golden retriever some day.
Bless you for the kindness that you showed to that family and to splash....

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
My first family dog was a Cocker Spaniel named Ginger. She was 2 weeks shy of her 20th birthday when she passed in her sleep. She outlived my own first dog, (when I was 18), Jake, a Great Dane. I got Jake when Ginger was 13 and I lost him to bloat when he was 5. :(

I had Danes for years after and was actually looking for my next one when I saw the ad in craigslist for Chance. Went and saw him and all ideas for another Dane immediately stopped. I knew he was mine.

Then again, I was looking for a Dane and I saw the ad for Savanah. Again, I knew she was meant to be mine. I'm hooked forever now and I know I will always have a Golden in my life.

·
Dr. Rainheart
5,563 Posts
We had a Shar-pei growing up until I was about 9 or 10. She was very protective of her family and never once harmed us, but was too aggressive when we moved into a new neighborhood. I'm not sure what exactly my dad did with her... she just wasn't home when we came back one day.

Anyway, after that we got our first golden and she is what introduced me to the wonderful breed! Even though she only lived to 5, I still love goldens.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
We had a boxer and a GSD growing up. The boxer was put to sleep when I was little, so I don't remember him very well. Our GSD and I were best of buds. When I was about 4 I went to pick him out as a pup. He actually chose me. He was the one who hung around me the most. He lived unti he was about 6, when he contracted parvo, and had to be put to sleep. He was a wonderful dog, scary smart, almost human. Fast forward 35 years and we got Tucker, our first golden. Tucker has been everything I had hoped for in a golden, plus a few things I didn't. I can't see us without another goldes

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
I dont remeber ever not having dogs in our home. Misty was a schnauzer cross mom bought her for my sister's christmas gift. Then there was Yenta a peke cross that my dad's co-worker nearly kicked to death before she came home to us. Niche was as close to being mine a white german shepherd that someone tried to kill she had the bullet grazed mark by her eye. Montag I guess was my first really mine dog. My mom and I rescued him and his 7 seven brothers and sister on Feb 03, 1985. It was around 60below with the wind chill. Montag was a mix of collie and who knows. I had him for 15yrs.

I got BaWaaJige my first golden this past summer. I had looked at many different breeds I wanted one that I could compete in hunt trails with. My sister was doing this it looked like fun and I had never had a purchased dogs before never had a papered dog before I wanted in on the action.
One day I was looking at "45" my latest rescue and I remebered the golden I wanted so bad back when I was a teenager. He was tied up behind an abandoned house. The owners would bring him out rotten food. I rode my bike out there every day to take care of him. I asked my mom if I could just take him she said no we had to talk to the humane society and do it right. They contacted the owners and they went out and shot him in the head. Oh how I wish I had just stolen him.
BaWaaJige is a gem I have never ever had such an easy to train pup. I love him so much and he has brighten many days for me. So glad I have him.

·
New to Golden Land :)
55 Posts
I remember always have some kind of dog or pet in our home --- the first dog I remember was a GSD named Tracy -- she was my dads dog from college...and my best friend. She died in 1991 of a stroke (I think she was 13) I was 9 yrs old --- and I was crushed. We had various other dogs....none that I was particularly close to after that. My first dog that my husband and I picked out together was a boxer named Isabella. She was an amazing dog...I can't speak highly enough of her, very smart, athletic and so much fun! We had her until she was 6 and when we received orders to move overseas to Japan we had to rehome her. I was told we couldn't bring her --- and I was extremely upset when we got here and found out that we could of....:( So I still think about Bells all the time....she was my soul dog. When I was about 12 or 13 I remember getting a little calendar for my room that was pictures of dogs...we my birth month was April and the picture for that month was a golden retriever dressed in baseball gear. I have remembered that picture ever since and always wanted a Golden. They always seem so happy and loving!! I have several friends who have one and I love them! So when it came time to get a puppy we thought GR. Jake is 2 months old and so sweet....so fun! He seems to be a smart boy...but I can't really tell because the potty training is not going that well. We have had him for 3 weeks and he still thinks he can potty anywhere. I am sure that will change....however when we go on walks he seems to have picked up "leave it" and he can sit on command. We are not able to go through a breeder here so we had to get Jake at a pet store (not my ideal situation) but he appears happy and healthy...only time will tell :) Regardless he is my love and my family completely adores him! I used to think that Boxers were my breed...and I still may one day own one. I really like the demeaner of a Golden and from what I can tell him and my son will be the best of friends. There are other breeds I would like to own one day...Dane, mastiff. I like the big boys :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Goldens are wonderful

My first dog was a beagle. Badly trained, badly behaved, chased everything and we loved her dearly. My brother and sister in law had rescue goldens that I took hiking and running and camping. When their last one died adn they didn't get a new dog, I had to get my own and found a fabulous boy at animal control. Barney was a beautiful golden "pound hound." He ate something evil at the dog park last April and died from complications. I couldn't face my house without him and found Grover at a breeder - a 5 month old puppy tht had had entropion. My new best buddy is another wonderful, fabulous companion.

·
Apollo & Knightley's mum!
279 Posts
My family got a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel when I was 12 years old, and he was my responsibility to train. We got up to novice obedience, but no higher because he just loved people a bit *too* much. I loved him so very much, and he died at 7 years old from a nasty heart murmur as so many Cavaliers do. I remember meeting a golden at a big old hotel my family stayed at on the coast when I was about 8 years old and fell completely in love with it, and had wanted a Golden since.

I have a chronic health condition, and am training Knightley to be my assistance (service) dog, so when looking for a new breed I had several considerations. I wanted the happy temperament that made me love our Cav, I wanted a much larger dog who could assist me with my mobility, a friendly dog who would be comfortable working in public, a dog who would be in tune with me and care how I felt, and one that would be easy to train to do quite challenging tasks. Added to that I just wanted a Golden anyway. :D Knightley is an amazing puppy.... I looked at another litter before I chose him, and temperament tested 10 other male pups in total, but he was just right. He learns so fast, he is closing cupboard doors at the age of 5 months! I am so proud of my Knightley, I just couldn't ask for more from him, and when the sad day comes to retire him, I am sure my choice will be another Golden.

·
Clare--Watney's mom
88 Posts
The only dog I remember came to us when I was in middle school after we had taken care of her father from time to time. She was a Gordon Setter and was gorgeous! Such a sweet gal and full of herself! My parents never got another dog and Shana lived to be about 12. I love Gordons but I have always been attracted to Goldens from the get go. My husband always had small terrier mutt mixes and he didn't care what kind of dog we got. We moved to Maine and found a breeder and got our first Golden after moving here. We have never looked back. We love this breed and will always have Goldens....

1 - 20 of 48 Posts