Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being somewhat of a philosopher, I'm always interested in getting to know the deeper person.

So, do you remember a moment in your childhood when the world as you perceived it came crashing down?

Maybe the truth about Santa Claus? The Easter Bunny?

I was 5 at the time of Queen Elizabeth II's coronation. Not much tv coverage back then, certainly not in our house. The most common form of communication was radio and print. National Geographic Magazine came out with a FULL COLOR spread, several pages long featuring all the Crown Jewels. I can still remember pouring over those pictures, caressing the pages and just wanting to be absorbed into their beauty.

I remembering talking to my mother about the beautiful jewels and how wonderful it would be to wear that crown all the time. My reality check was when mom told me:

THE QUEEN DOESN'T WEAR THAT CROWN. :no::no: IN FACT, SHE NEVER WEARS ANY CROWN except for special occasions.

I was crushed. :(:( The thought that the Queen was not allowed to wear those jewels was too much for that 5 year old to bear. I'm not over it yet!:(

What was your moment?

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
Hmmmmm I'm not sure if this "fits" but it was a "reality" check.

I was about 3 . My dad was working on the sink....

My mother said to me with great emphasis... "Its VERY VERY IMPORTANT THAT YOU DO NOT use the bathroom sink." I remember feeling that the whole world depended on me not using that sink. It was SO important, so crucial....

Well I forgot, turned on the water for a drink and as it run, water rushed on to the floor. Suddenly I KNEW THAT I HAD DESTROYED THE WORLD! I screamed and screamed, the horror of it, the horror...all was lost.....

My mother ran into the bathroom, turned off the water and said these crucial words "calm down, its not like the world is lost". I swear, I stopped my screaming and looked at her stunned. Really?

·
Registered
8,988 Posts
Geee...say it aint so she really doesn't wear the crown and stuff?

I will need to wait until my childhood is over before I will be able to post an answer to this this:D

·
Registered
203 Posts
When I was 9 years old is when I got my childhood reality check. I will never forget the morning that my mom had told me that my father had committed suicide. I knew right then and there that my world would never be the same. Everything else in life has been easy to deal with compared to that.

·
Missing Selka So Much
17,303 Posts
Well, I didn't post since the OP said Fun thread but I am so sorry for both Jennifer and goldenlover84. Life does give out hard reality checks , that aren't funny.

I grew up in an alcoholic abusive home so it pretty much was all a reality check.
I keep trying to find some child like things now at age 55 so I can know what that feels like.

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
Feb 26, 1966, about 5 pm my Dad had a massive heart attack and died at his office. I had just turned 11. My sister was already in college so it was just my Mom & me. As I've gotten older, I've come to respect and admire what a strong, wonderful woman she was and how dedicated she was to making my life as normal as possible.

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow, you've all been through so much.:(

I guess not being able to wear a crown doesn't seem so important now.

I'm sorry for all your terrible losses.

·
Registered
624 Posts
I was five years old and we had a car crash with our camper in South Dakota while driving to Montana. My dad was was killed instantly. Forty some years later I still can recall every moment of the accident and how my world changed after. My father - his life was cut short at just 30 years old. I have lived my life knowing that at any moment everything can change. I love family life - - - I think I appreciate it more than some people. And I so love Golden Retrievers because in the quiet of the night, I sit with them and remember those I love.

·
2,472 Posts
when I was 12, my Mom married #2 and we moved into his house. That day, childhood ended for me. #2 was an *******, and from that age until I moved out at 18 I practically raised myself. I took my life to the streets and the woods and learned to be independent and to find joy elsewhere.

My Mom would eventually divorce him and move on to #3, who was okay. But that didn't happen till after I had grown up.

·
Boudiga
4,102 Posts
i am on another forum that had a specific thread about santa and i was amazed to see so many people post about how they remember the exact moment they discovered he wasn't real and how they never trusted their parents again after that. seems such an extreme reaction to me - i mean, to claim you never trusted your parents again because of that?

i have no memory of suddenly realizing santa wasn't real or anything like that. and, i didn't have any sort of horrible things like some folks are posting. i guess i had it pretty easy.

·
love my goofy goldens
2,431 Posts
When I was in the fifth grade, my youngest brother was diagnosed with leukemia. All my family's plans changed overnight. Dad withdrew his retirement from the Army, we had an emergency move to San Antonio so Dan could be treated at Brooke Army Medical Center, and our family began waiting . . . Dan died 4 years later.

·
Mulligan
516 Posts
Everyone has gone to school at one time or other and we all understand the school schedule. Well, off to college I go, earn my degree, then begin my adult life with an adult job. With all of this time spent in school and on a school schedule, I had the preception that when I was in school so was everyone else. Not the same school I was in, but basically the same hours.

Then one day I happened to have an appointment during school hours. Well, I was amazed at how many other people had the exact same day off. I just could not believe it. Then I realized, not everyone was in school, there are actually other jobs out there that did not follow the school schedule.

I know this all sounds a bit odd, but school has been my world my entire life. People are to work during the day and shop in the evening or on weekends. Not in the middle of the day!!!!

Funny how we are all in our own little world.

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I know what you mean. When my kids were little I made it a habit to take a nap between 1 and 3 EVERY AFTERNOON.

One day I was out in the car at 2 in the afternoon and was amazed that the streets were so BUSY. I thought "Wow, there's a lot of people AWAKE!"

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
i am on another forum that had a specific thread about santa and i was amazed to see so many people post about how they remember the exact moment they discovered he wasn't real and how they never trusted their parents again after that. seems such an extreme reaction to me - i mean, to claim you never trusted your parents again because of that?

i have no memory of suddenly realizing santa wasn't real or anything like that. and, i didn't have any sort of horrible things like some folks are posting. i guess i had it pretty easy.
Me neither...don't remember "that moment". I do remember believing in Santa and trying to stay up to hear him...and I remember wondering where Mom hid the presents...but don't remember the inbetween transition.

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
My "Santa moment" came when I snuck out of my room in the middle of the night to see if Santa had come yet, and saw the cookie plate was only missing a cookie or two... and my mom trying to hide behind the tree with a half eaten cookie in her hand. LOL

·
Registered
22,569 Posts
My world crashed after my Dad passed when I was almost 7 (I told my older sister when they were taking him out on the stretcher that he wasn't coming home) and then my 3 year old nephew died shortly after. I had been diagnosed with diabetes at the age of 6 shortly before he died, but when David died, I knew children died, too.

My Dad died near Easter. My Mom and my sisters wrote a beautiful letter to me from my Dad. A part of me always knew they wrote it, but I wanted so badly to believe. The stuffed bunny the letter came with was part of my life for a very long time. It was a strange feeling when they admitted the letter was written by them, but I had known it was...

·
Jester & Piper's Mom
3,325 Posts

What???? Santa isn't real?????????????? :--dumbfounded:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts