Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Official Trout Bum
4,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was raised with bird dogs, primarily English Setters. They're wonderful dogs - there's nothing quite as beautiful as watching a setter work a field and come on point. But they are bird dogs and they do love to run, run and run.

I do love hunting but my true passion is fly-fishing and trying to quietly stalk a four or five pound bank hugging rainbow trout with a setter at your side I found to be an impossibility. They were all over the place - chasing river birds, looking for river birds...sit / stay and heel just didn't seem to be in their genetic makeup.

When I was a young boy, many years ago, my father brought our family over to one of his good friends who had rented a cabin near our summer cabin. They had a big male golden retriever curled up by the fire place I just plain fell in love him. From that day forward I knew someday when I was able to get my own dog it would be a golden.

Unfortunately because of the long hours I worked and my living conditions I wasn't able to get my own dog for many, many years. But when I took an early retirement and moved to the mountains my dream finally came true and I was able to get my golden retriever pup, Sammie. She was everything I'd hoped for in a dog and I trained her from the get go for bird hunting but really focused on fly-fishing. I lost her to cancer at the age of 12 - I tear up just thinking about her - but we did share many, many grand times together. She was quite the girl.

Now I've got Woodrow, a two year old rescue golden, who has that same endearing look that I saw in that first golden by the fire place so many years ago. I'm hooked - there will always be a golden by my side and by my fireplace.

How'd you get hooked on goldens?

Pete

·
Lost Her Mind
3,517 Posts
I knew I wanted a big dog. I wanted one that I was able to hug and cuddle with. EVERYONE I know that has a dog has a lab, and I didn't know anyone else who had a golden.

I also thought they were such pretty dogs, too. I love the long fur.

:D

·
Official Trout Bum
4,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I couldn't agree more Jennifer - the way they feather out is very much like a setter and it was a definite attraction for me as well.

Pete

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
I was looking for a family member, smart, friendly, big love of a dog.

The personality fit both mine and my husbands personality. You know they say you start to look like your dog. Well I think the golden personality is much like ours and we had a lot of love to give.

Noah is beyond what we expected and so far I'd never want another breed. So we now have Scout as well.

I had GSDs my entire life - and love them, but once I was on my own wanted a dog that fit "me." And it was a golden.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
About 25 years ago I saw a golden puppy, s/he looked like a teddy bear and I vowed that the next dog I got would be a golden. Other than a lab-X in there, my last two dogs have been goldens. I love big, goofy, hairy dogs. They are addictive and I can't imagine being owned by any other breed.

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
We were looking for a sporting breed and thought it would be a Labrador....my oldest sons best friend had a sweet red Golden. He came home from a visit one day and said, Mom we need a Golden and 'she' needs to be red...

We went to the local shelter...and put our name on the list for a Golden...
We got a call for Lexi who just happened to be red and the rest is history!

·
Registered
850 Posts
I had friends with a big sweet gentle golden. After we retired, I wanted a companion like that. My wife heard about a backyard breeder in our area that was selling off her dogs. We got Dolly, a 3-year old former breeder that was also a sweet, gentle, loving soul. She died last June from cancer at age 10, and I still miss her so much.

·
They get it
4,446 Posts
What was it about the golden that made it your dog of choice? It wasn't a Lab (sorry no offense to those with Labs). Growing up we were only allowed to have black labs, as that was the kind my mom "liked" best (and she wasn't a animal person, so we were willing to take anything we could get). None of the labs we had were, shall we say real brainiac's, if you know what I mean. Anyway, after I grew up and my boyfriend, at the time, wouldn't let me take my German Shephards hunting, I decided to get a retriever, anything but BL. The rest shall we say, is history, the boyfriend has long since gone on his merry way, but the Goldens stayed! Now I wouldn't want anything else (well except for the Twister-Man). Plus, DH loves them too!

·
Registered
869 Posts
We had dachshunds when I was growing up. While I loved our mini wiener dogs they just wasn't what I thought of when we were choosing a dog for our family which included 3 boys. I figured we had the room so we wanted something bigger they could ruff & tumble with. I did a lot of looking & kept coming back to Goldens. We got our 1st girl and she was an absolute fantastic dog. Everything we could hope for. When she died in 08 I said no more pets! I was wrong, I missed having a dog areound most. When my kids even tough I was considering another that was it, I was , excuse the expression, Hounded! I looked at other breeds but again felt the Golden was the right pick the 1st time & this time. We got out puppy March 09......and then added a second Sept 09. Adding a 2nd was an even a better decision that getting one. They are great together.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
My husband and I got married 15 years ago, first marriage for each of us, both late 30's and decided it was rather late for kids. His sister had a golden, and one of his best buddies had a golden--my husband said they were both friendly, well-adjusted dogs.

We went up to Cooperstown, NY where his sister and our brother-in-law had a summer home and hung out with them and Casey (cute name, huh, considering that the Baseball Hall of Fame is in Cooperstown and there's that famous baseball poem, "Casey At The Bat"). I had not owned a dog my entire adult life--and for most of my teenage years--and Casey did everything he could to convince me that goldens were great.

He carried my favorite sweatshirt around during my visit (and wouldn't return it), crawled into bed with me (with one of my socks in his mouth) each morning, and took me for a tour of the area's lakes and streams, shaking himself as close as he could next to me so the water would spray on me after his swims.

My husband was convinced--we were going to own a golden--and there you have it, we became golden owners about two years later. That dog, Jake, died in August just short of his 13th birthday. We later bought a second golden, Alli, who passed away 18 months earlier at age 9. We now own Mac, aged 20 months. And I'm a believer: Goldens are great!

·
Registered
58 Posts
I saw Rhonda Hovan's Faera's Future Classic, Thunder in a book, and said, I have to have a beautiful dog like that one day, that to me was my dream golden. I fell in love with him.
I had no idea 30 years ago how to find a dog like Thunder, as I never went to dog shows.

I had always owned field line goldens, they did not look like Thunder, yet they were very beautiful as well.

I now have my beautiful dog it took me over 30 years to get my dream!

·
Missing my Boys...
3,980 Posts
I was raised with dogs my whole life, mostly Irish Setters (my Dad loved them)
When Bob and I got our first home Dad surprised us with an Irish Setter Puppy and then his dog had a litter about three years later, so we got another Irish Setter and that was it until they passed away of old age both about 14.
We both agreed no more dogs, but while at the mall with our Granddaughters looking for Beanie Babies,( well you know you have to stop by the pet shop) and there was a Golden Baby that looked so angelic but we knew not to buy from pet shops. So we set out to find a good breeder and along came Dylan. After having him for about a month we wanted another to grow up with him, but we wanted a rescue, then our Bobby came into our life. Goldens are very addictive, it's hard to have just one, and we are fortunate enough to afford three, but I know when we retire maybe two will be the limit. I would have a house full if I could!
I love everything about my Goldens, Eyes, Nose, Tail, their beautiful fur (feathers) the way they make us laugh everyday. Life just doesn't get much better when you have a Golden in it.........

June

·
IKE- Canine Blood Donor
12,542 Posts
Well...I don't really remember anymore. I've always loved Goldens though I'd never met one outside of a book or movie. I grew up with Collies, mutts, and cats.

My daughter would draw picture after picture of a yellow long haired doggie named 'Sammi'. Sammi was always a girl dog and saved the world 10X over. :) When my daughter was 9, she broke her arm and her Daddy told her that she could have a puppy when she was 'all better.' As fate would have it, a friend's brother had a litter of what we thought were Yellow Labs. We went to see the litter and counted our lucky stars that the pups were Goldens, not Labs and there was still 2 pups left...though both were male. Noelle, our daughter didn't care, she was getting her puppy. We were blessed with the runt male, named him Sammy, and our hearts were forever changed....we will only ever have Goldens. Is there another breed? :)

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
We previously had german shepherds and great pyreneeses -then we had children.

The GSD's and the Pyrs are both great breeds, but many people are afraid of GSD's. I had a hard time finding public places to take them. The Pyrs are great, but they have a mind of their own, and will not play ball etc with children.

When I got Brady, I had to find a breed that would be a playmate with my kids, as well as any kids that came to visit - and I love my pets to have longer coats.

I saw a golden walking down the street that summer from a prominent breeder, and he just took my breath away. Went over and met him, and I was sold. The Golden would be my next dog ( now we have two!)

·
Grumpy Old Man
4,588 Posts
It was a photo in an old sporting magazine back when I was a child.

This Photo actually...

To a kid who liked to chase grouse and pheasants this was on the "must have" list.
I was going to have a Golden Retriever, no Lab or Springer was going to cut it.

The dog in the photo by the way is Dual Champion Stilrovin Nitro Express.

·
Love my Golden Boys!!
7,076 Posts
We had several dogs (different breeds) while I was growing up but MY first dog, when I was on my own with my son, was my Samoyed, Dakota. I had seen a Samoyed at a carnival and I just fell in love with him. I started looking for one and found Dakota, whose father just happened to be the dog (from the carnival's grandson). Dakota was my best friend for 9 years before I had to put him to sleep in 2000.

One of my co-workers had a GR whom I thought was just great...full of energy and so gentle and beautiful. Hubby and I wanted a dog with some energy as we enjoy biking, walking, being outdoors and definitely wanted a larger dog. We soon found Reno and shortly thereafter, added Phoenix. Earlier this year, we added Austin and Lincoln (after Phoenix passed). Like on of the recent threads, they are addictive!! We love their good nature, goofiness, beauty, energy...everything about them. Not sure if we'll end up getting more dogs after these guys, but if so, I'm sure it will be another GR.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
We visited a local garden center and there sat the most gorgeous, statley golden male I had ever seen. He was so elegant and his hair looked like it was spun of pure gold when the sun lit it. People would approach and give him a loving pat as he sat so elegantly with his nose slightly aimed at the sky. He was only 8 or 9 months old and I was so impressed with his behavior. I asked where he came from and immediatedly went to the source. Unfortunately they only bred that one litter but gave me a name of someone else that had a little boy available and that was the end of that story.

Did he turn out anything like this statuesque golden beauty? Absolutely nothing like him. He was routy and wild, had an unruly coat that waved and he shed like crazy. He was never calm enough to sit and let strangers pet him without going ballistic......but he was the greatest dog ever and I cherished him for 8 years before I lost him to cancer last june. He sold me on the breed and now I have 3.
Can't imagine life without at least one.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Simply put, their sweet, loving, irresistable personalities and temperments.

·
Missing Selka So Much
17,303 Posts
I came to goldens by accident or God as I like to believe. I had lost my GSD several months before I got married in 1973. My best friend presented me with my registered golden puppy for a wedding present! I had barely heard of golden retrievers but Shammy showed me how sweet tempered, smart and great with kids they are. I was sold. Shammy lived to be 12, then we had Max who lived to be 12, Sophie who was a grand dame of 14 and now we have Selka 10 and Gunner 6. I never want to be without a golden as long as I am able to care for them.

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
8+ years ago one (Obi) showed up at our house, we found his owners, he kept (keeps) returning to us. Began meeting goldens after that & saw that the wonderful personality of Obi was a breed trait.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts