Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
I ♥ My Golden
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! I have a one and a half old 75 lb (not overweight) Golden. She is so weird when it comes to food. I'd like to ask everyone their opinion to what to feed her. I'm nuts about feeding her good food, but it doesn't seem to agree with her. When she was a puppy we fed her Solid Gold LB Puppy, but it gave her loose stool. At this point she was going to th dog park almost every day. We switched to crappy food (Iams Pro Health LB Puppy) for a little while due to money constraints and her poop was solid and good.

A few months ago we put her on Canidae Grain-Free and back to loose poop. Switched to Regular Canidae All Life Stages and she was doing pretty good, but again with the loose stool. The thing is she's had bloody diarrhea twice before and it was from Giardia (thre is a lake at the dog park we were going to). Since then we won't let her in the water, but then two weeks ago she had bloody diarrhea again. Took her to the vet wondering how she could have gotten the Giardia again, but she tested negative. The vet recommended a low fat diet and gave her the meds to clear up any type of parasite (even though the tests were negative). The Canidae is has Crude Protein (min.) 24.00% Crude Fat (min.) 14.50% Crude Fiber (max.) 4.00% is that high? It's less than other brands. While she was taking her meds I fed her home cooked rice and chicken and green beans. She wasn't pooping but maybe once every day and a half. They said it was from the meds. Now she's back on her food and her poop is loose again. Right now she hasn't been going to the dog park because she keeps getting all these bumps (a possible allergy to freaking grass). She doesn't have fleas.

So basically I have a dog who had bloody diarrhea without parasites, who gets loose stool when we feed her healthier dog food, gets red bumps on her belly and underside when we take her to the dog park for exercise (no back yard at our condo). What the heck do I do?

What do you think? What do you suggest on feeding her? Because she's not very active do you think that would cause her not to be digesting the food right?

Thank you so much for any help!

·
Charlie's Mom
871 Posts
Hmmmm.... I'm no expert, that's for sure, but it seems people have pretty good luck with the California Natural lines of food. They're very simple, but still healthy. Also, I know there are different schools of thought as far as food goes, but I honestly believe that some dogs just can't handle the "richness" of the grain free and 'ultra premium' foods. I think my Charlie is one of them, so I have chosen to just try to find a food that's not Ol'Roy, but is also going to agree with him, and if that's Pro Plan, Eukanuba, or Iams, I'm certainly ok with it. Others may disagree, but I don't take it personally. :)

Good luck!!

Candace :)

·
& Sawyer's & Quinn's too!
2,740 Posts
I am by no means an expert. My 2 year old GR, Sophie, has what we call an "iron stomach." She can eat pretty near anything and seem to tolerate it well. We are going through the loose stool thing now with our puppy, Sawyer. He came to us eating Fromm Puppy Gold, which I started mixing with Sophie's food, Fromm Duck and Sweet Potato (it's one of their 4 Star foods and is an all life stages food). He did test positive for coccidia, which explained some of the runny stools. His last fecal came back negative, hopefully meaning the coccidia has been knocked back. Anyway, trying to figure out the loose stools - I called and talked with a Fromm representative yesterday and she said that for whatever reason, it seems many GRs don't tolerate chicken as well. The puppy food lists chicken meal and chicken as ingredients #2 and #3. We are keeping him on boiled rice and ground beef for today, and then when we begin transitioning him back to dog food tomorrow, we are going to transition him to the Duck and Sweet Potato only. Hopefully, that works for him! I have no clue if that information pertains to your dog, but maybe it will help?

·
Kate
22,652 Posts
She might just have a chronic digestive disorder and you have to be careful about what to feed her.

I don't like IAMS either, but I went to the description of that food you had her on that her poop was solid and normal. Maybe focus on picking a dog food that is for sensitive stomach or makes the same statements. If I couldn't find anything, I would probably switch my dog back to IAMS rather than see my dog suffering from collitis.

Every dog is different. Personally speaking, our dogs were on IAMS and Pedigree when they went through pretty bad digestive issues. Our vet and our dog class instructor both told us to find a lamb and rice dog food. We did, and that put an end to all of the digestive problems.

This Iams ProActive Health formula has PreBiotics that work inside the digestive tract to promote healthy digestion and strong defenses. Healthy inside. Healthy outside.

Designed for puppies ages 1-12 months, Iams concentrated nutrition proactively nourishes your puppy to help keep him at his best

Natural fish oils with DHA (Docosahexaenoic Acid), a nutrient vital for optimal brain development, promote smarter, more trainable puppies. Protein sourced from chicken and egg helps build strong, firm muscles. Seven essential nutrients nourish the heart; essential minerals promote strong teeth and bones; and antioxidants help maintain a strong immune system.

A high-quality source of protein with no fillers or artificial preservatives, Iams is gentle on the digestive system. Fuel your puppy’s healthy development with 100% complete and balanced nutrition that’s vet recommended and 100% Satisfaction Guaranteed.

·
chew chew chew
3,571 Posts
I think the thing to do is to try a different recipe - if she's not good on chicken for example, switching to a different chicken based food isn't going to work! Same with the grain free, some are too rich so another rich food is going to do the same thing if that's the issue.

With all her allergies and issues, I'd suggest a raw diet to see if that makes any difference. Many dogs have done much better right away on a raw diet and with a bit of help you can adjust it to her needs too.

Lana

·
Registered
212 Posts
My daughter's 1 year old boy Jameson had bloody diarrhea off and on during his first year with us. He was diagnosed with colitis and put on prescription food (I think it was Iams - not sure). Since that has grains and other junk in it, she recently switched him to a partial raw diet. She buys the frozen raw food already prepared ($$$$), mixes it with Great Life holistic kibble which has a "raw food coating". She gives him sweet potatoes, green beans, banana, vitamin C, digestive enzymes, etc.

I have him now for 4 days and am going crazy trying to feed 4 goldens and 4 cats, all on different diets and combinations! My 57 year old menopausal brain will be lucky to survive the next 4 days without exploding! LOL :uhoh:

·
Premium Member
18,595 Posts
To me it sounds like the higher protein and better quality ingredients don't agree with her. Some dogs do best on what we consider lower quality food.

If it were me, I would put her back on the food that she did best on. If it works for her then it's the right food for her, even if you would prefer a more premium food.

·
I ♥ My Golden
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks you guys! I really appreciate all the advice and responses! Keep 'em coming!

Firedancer - I agree with you and I don't want to watch my pup suffer. I want her to eat right, but not at the expense of her digestive track. A lot of those crappy foods have so much corn in it. I remember talking to one of the Science Diet reps telling me corn is good for dogs and I laughed in his face. Humans can't digest corn and we have 28 ft of intestines, dogs have 3 ft. I gave my dog some mixed veggies in her food and she pooped out the corn whole. I don't see how something you can't digest is healthy for you, you know?

Sophie_Mom - I've never heard of the intolerance to chicken thing before, but I did read an article (http://www.grccny.org/Feeding a Golden.htm) on how vets started recommending lamb alot for dogs with weak stomaches because at the time dog food was primarily made of chicken and beef and lamb was more rare and therefor "primer" meat, unlike the leftover poultry and beef being put in our dogs food. I don't know if that holds up today because the Solid Gold I was feeding my GR was lamb and rice.

Bender - I agree with you about switching from chicken to chicken. The food she's on now goes chicken meal, turkey meal, lamb meal for the first three ingredients and then ocean fish meal later down the list. The dog eats better than we do (as I eat my beefaroni lunch).

Megora - Thank you for posting that! You really made my brain click. "This Iams ProActive Health formula has PreBiotics..." The thing I think that helped were the prebiotics. See we've made friends with lots of people at the dog park with the lake and our GR is the only one who gets the Giardia. After talking to several people it's clear that our dog is more prone to getting it than others - kind of like my bf's nephew is prone to getting sick if you sneeze a mile away. I've been wanting to get this probiotic prebiotic salmon oil for her but I've been poor lately. I think it's time to try that, huh? http://www.alaska-naturals.com/Index/probiotic.php

Starfire - Good luck! I think that you are a very dedicated mommy! :)

·
My dogs rule me
25 Posts
You did all of the right things when you were asking for help, Minus one.

You never mentioned how much you fed your dog.

feeding the recommended amount of one food and your dog agreed, doesn't hold true for all foods.

I would try reducing your dogs food intake a 1/4 for the next 2-3 days and see if the poop changes. If no change, back off another 1/4 for another 2-3 days.

1/2 cup isn't going to starve your dog, hell even a cup less a day won't, but it may be just enough to fix the issue.

remember its just a guideline you feed 3.5-4.5 cups a day. ( on an active dogs diet )

your dog may only need 2-3 cups to be sustained correctly.

Anology.

You over eat a bunch, see if you get the runs ;) lol

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
You mentioned about this dog park. Is it possible that your dog is getting exposed to something environmental? Perhaps other than the water, which might be causing the bumps you had mentioned? Your situation is needing some detective work. I give my dog a good plain yogurt for healthy digestion. Along with feeding Fromm Four Star Duck and Sweet Potato. I hope you are able to resolve this soon.

·
I ♥ My Golden
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi guys! I went to the store yesterday and picked up a small bag of Natural Balance Sweet Potatoe & Fish Formula. It's part of the limited ingredient diet formulas that the company makes. I did look at the Fromm Duck formula, but was concerned because it's a fatty, greasy meat. The thing I like about the stuff I bought is it only has 5 main ingredients and I can't be sure if my baby is allergic to something that's in the food. She could be getting sick from chicken, or rice, or something else. In fact it makes sense that she doesn't do good with rice because on the Iams (with no rice) she was ok. If this doesn't work I'll most likely put her back on the Iams but add meat to it. I feel good about this food though because after adding it to her food last night her stool this morning was partially formed. That could be the sweet potatoe. Wish us luck!

·
Inactive
11,326 Posts
I've never really bought into the whole "premium" food stuff. Many (not all) of the formulas seem more about selling the food to the human sense of what's more "wild" or "natural" or "holistic" than about selling a food that's great for dogs. So many dogs seem to have GI issues while on some (not all) of these expensive foods. Some of the more "traditional" foods seem to be formulated to agree with a wider range of dogs.

By the way, the bag of Eukanuba I just bought is definitely labeled "premium" in the info section of the bag, and the name of the formula is "Premium Performance." So, by all accounts, I seem to have a "premium" food. ;)

That said, the cyclical nature of what you're describing, particularly when it improves while the dog's on meds and then comes back, seems to indicate chronic giardiasis. The dog can either be reinfected from the yard while his immune system is still compromised, or it can because the parasite persisted in its cyst form, which isn't affected by the meds. An on-off course of metronidazole (like one week on, two off, one on) can help catch the cysts as they try to break out again and wipe them out completely.

Giardia frequently gives a false negative since it only sheds periodically. The best diagnosis is by response to meds. If your dog tested positively recently and is experiencing the symptoms, testing negatively, and responding to meds, it's a good bet that he still has it.

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
The Fromm 4-star line is the only food that has worked perfectly for both of our boys and they absolutely love it. I've never seen them so excited over a food before. It's also a lower calorie food. I can't recommend it enough.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hi Tempest.
So how's it going on the feeding & evacuations? I hope you are getting better results after changing food once again. We had a similar problem with our pup 13 years ago. He came to us & was always having gas & diarraha all the time. We put him on the Regal Foods. He has not had gas or loose stools or diarraha since the change from Eukanuba. If you don't have results soon, check out the Regal line of foods. We use the Red bag, Lamb & Rice & plan to start switching our new pup over to it once we get him home.

http://www.regalpetfoods.com/

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
From my own personal experience, the "premium" foods also did not work for my Flora. Solid Gold, TOTW, Blue Buffalo, Orijin, and Wellness all gave Flora gas and nasty poop. As much as I personally want to feed her these upper end foods because to me, they sound yummy, Flora has been doing quite well on her Purina Pro Plan Sensitive stomach... I thought for a while that she might have allergies from it, but a change in the weather (and a subsequent disappearance of Flora's allergy symptoms) has completely eradicated those thoughts.

We also eliminated chicken from her diet, as per the vet's instructions. I don't know if that was the culprit or not, but for the time being Flora does not eat anything with chicken in it.

·
I ♥ My Golden
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey guys and gals! Here's whats going on with the new food: Solid poop! Hooray! I've tried pumpkin filler in her old food but to no avail, however this new food with Sweet Potatoe does the trick. She hasnt had a runny bout once. I don't know though if she was allergic to rice or perhaps the meat content. Here's the bad thing: She smells like dirty kitty litter. Oh my gosh, phewy! I really believe it's the Salmon food. Oh jeez. Luckily Natural Balance has other formulas like duck and venison besides the chicken and turkey formulas. Worst case scenerio? Doggy spritzers. She has solid poop and seems happy and enjoys her food so I'm not going to upset that just cuz she's stinky now.

Anyone else have stinky Golden due to Salmon or Salmon oil? I mean it really smells like kitty litter (we dont have a cat).

Thanks guys for all your posts! I think that when it comes down to it, any dog food that you feel is good for your dog and works is great - each dog is different. As long as you are aware of the chemicals in it each brand then it's fine. But I'm very thankful for everyone's suggestions and knowledge!

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
No kitty litter smell, but my dog did start to smell like potatoes when he ate Core so who knows!!!! You are what you eat right? For Banner, it was foods that were grain heavy that created a nightmare. I'm glad you seemed to have found what works for your girl.

·
*Melissa* Three Dog Mama
120 Posts
I can relate to the feeding frenzy frustration! Reagan had stomach problems her entire life. That's when we didn't know any better and were still feeding her Science Diet Lamb and Rice mix. She had a stomach ache nearly every day.

She has a very sensitive stomach. Now, we feed her Wellness Super 5 mix Large Breed and her stomach problems are gone. We have also found that Taste of the Wild works for her too. Good luck!

·
Honey's Mom
243 Posts
I don't know about her odor, but my girl recently had major issues with Canidae Lamb and Rice, after successfully eating it for 3 yrs. I don't know if they changed the formula (like they had with the all-stages formula), but she refused to eat, had vomiting and diarrhea, and after all tests were negative, the vet thought she had a bad bag of food and some kind of allergic reaction to it.

We transitioned her to Natural Balance Lamb and Rice and have had NO problems (knock on wood). She LOVES this food. No problem with stools, odor, or gas. I am not an expert on dog odors, but perhaps if you try a different formula, she will do better.

~Kim~

5 Posts
Taste of the wild is a really good food. my puppy had diarrhea for two straight months while on store bought food. i asked my vet and she recommended Taste of the Wild and we haven't had any problems since. It's amazing how fast it worked and how much better he's been feeling. Good Luck!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts