Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super mom! ;)
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have 2 goldens, an 9 week old puppy and and almost 8 year old, and I cannot decide on what to feed them. I am limited by geography to what is available at Petco and Petsmart. I have basically narrowed it down to Blue Buffalo and Natural Balance until I read that Blue Buffalo isn't tolerated well and Natural Balance uses ethoxyquin. The nice thing about getting something at Petco is that they have a buy 8, get one free program as long as it is the same size and brand, but it doesn't matter the kind (senior, puppy), so if I could get them both on the same brand, it would save me some money somehow. The woman I talked to there talked me into Natural Balance rather than Blue Buffalo, but also recommended several others like Natures Recipe and ProPlan, but there was always something in the ingredient list that I didn't like. They do sell a lot of other specialty brands, but I just don't know what to do.

The puppy came from the breeder on Eukanuba Puppy Growth (with corn and chicken by product meal as ingredients number 2 and 3). I've been transitioning him to Blue Buffalo and so far there hasn't been any diarrhea, but he's only 50/50. My senior has been on Wellness low-calorie (can't remember the exact name, purple bag), but he hasn't been doing great on it. His coat looks dry and his energy is down. He tends to be on the heavy side, especially in the winter, but is very active in the summer so the weight usually comes right off.

My vet sells Innova products, but doesn't keep many in stock. If I went this route, I'd have to keep better track of where we were with foods. (I tend to forget until I am really low.) The trainer I used before when my senior was a puppy used to sell Canidae, and I have emailed her to see if she still does, though haven't heard back yet.

Other than that, the nearest specialty store is 45+ minutes away, and while I'd love to say that I could go there for my dogs, with two kids and two dogs it's not realistic. I'd rather spend the time playing with them, rather than driving all over the place to get them food.

What would you do? Feed Blue Buffalo or Natural Balance or something else entirely? Thanks for your advice!

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
You can find good things and bad things about all dog foods whoever you talk to. Mine all eat ProPlan and do every well on it. No skin issues, ear problems, weight problems. I trust Purina they have been in business for many years doing testing on their what they put in their dog food and many top show breeders use ProPlan for their dogs. Corn is not always the problem that cause problems with dogs. I tried alot of foods for my dogs and they usually had problems so I went back to the ProPlan.
Alot of people here when they switched their puppy to the Blue Buffalo completly had problems with loose stools but maybe your puppy will have better luck.
Natural Balance is a good food too.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Chosing food is such a personal choice, but with the puppy, please be careful how much protein is in it. My 1 year old was just diagnosed with panosteitis, whic is like growing pains for dogs. It will go away eventually, but I was told to lower his protein intake. You do NOT want your puppy to grow too fast, as this is one of the side effects. Good Luck

·
Registered
7,496 Posts
You can also check with your local Agway/Farm & Feed stores. They can often order in whatever you want. My parents live in a more rural area. No petco/petsmart/specialty stores but their farm store orders Canidae for them and stocks Natura products.

·
Registered
525 Posts
When Grace got sick, I looked really hard at what I had been feeding the girls. In addition to the age difference (2 yrs v. 9 yrs), Jessie is allergic to wheat. They'd been on Pedigree, and I wasn't happy when they made some changes in the food last year. I considered Blue Buffalo, but decided to go with Natural Balance. I'm very pleased with the result. No stomach upsets, no diarrhea, and their coats are a lot better.

·
Old Gold is the Best Gold
18,122 Posts
All my dogs eat the same top quality, grain free product- Blue Wilderness. I buy all three flavors and I mix them. I can't deal with raw right now, but I'd like to go back to it and for now, this is the next best thing. At any rate, my dogs range in age from 17 months to 13 years. I would feed this diet to any dog, from weaning to ripe old age. I add Wild Alaskan Salmon Oil and a few other things.

·
Debbie
644 Posts
I have the same problem here. I feed Acana and the closest store that sells it and other better quality foods is 50 minutes away. I have been getting 2 bags every time I travel there. Yesterday I ordered online for the first time. Came out to about the same price when you factor in the cost of gas. I ordered from Luke's.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts