Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Kate
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, My first golden puppy is being born anytime tonight and I am so excited! We are getting her in seven weeks, (one week early I know-its because of the holidays) and I was just wondering what I should expect.

Also, I have had multiple dogs in the past, and none of them have been able to walk past a dog on a leash without going crazy. I have to say, one of my main goals with this new puppy is being able to have manners when walking on a leash. Any tips?

I am going to be taking her to a kinderpuppy class starting the week after I get her, for socialization and training for me! lol

Overall, Im really just looking for some tips, suggestions, and/or any advice any of you guys have to offer. I really want to be the best owner to the pup:)

Thanks
-Kate

Attachments

·
Kate
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
DO NOT OWN THE PICTURE ATTACHED TO THIS THREAD- YOU CAN FIND THIS PICTURE AT iwallscreen.com

I will be getting my own picture once my breeder sends me pictures. Thank you

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
First of all, congratulations on getting your new puppy! There are so many Threads on what you ask and if you type in your question in the Search, you will see what worked and didn't work for us.

The most frequent question asked is always about puppy mouthing. First thing to remember is that our Golden's "see the world" through their mouth, so they mouth everything. We call this their Land Shark stage and they DO outgrow this with lots of loving training and when adult teeth come in. Please check the Search to see many answers to about everything having to do with a puppy.

Just remember your puppy is a tiny baby until he is at least 6 mo. old. Though he/she will grow so much, his/her brain is that of a small babe so don't expect your pup to have the maturity of an adult...this takes time. It is through your loving diligence and hard work to socialize and train that you will be able to show him/her the correct way to fit into our human world. This is not easy, but a true dedication and working with our dogs many times a day, but one day you will have the wonderful dog of your dreams.

Many knowledgeable people here to help you, stories to laugh and cry along with you. Hope you can share pictures of your babe when born. Again Congratulations!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts