Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
She does not like her crate! Paisley has so volume in her cute little body. We survived the first night and now we are wondering what to do all day.

Can someone offer insight,

How much play? How much "training" play?
How long in the crate.? We are watching tv and she is within sight and crying a lot, do we just wait it out? Should we spend time upstairs instead out of site?

We want to start getting her used to her schedule ( we are out of the house by 8:30, first dog walker comes at 11, feeds her around 11:30, back in the crate way noon, next walker comes at 2:30-3:00, we are home by 5:30.)
Then it's plaything and outside and alms and treats etc etc

We have off the next 5 days, how do we structure our time?

Thank you all,
M & R

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi! I dont have tips for you at the moment. Truth is, im a new owner of a two and a half month golden. And im having a rather rough time. Aside from potty training issues, my golden, Happy, doesnt like much her crate. She cries every now and then. But i try to ignore her pleading to get out. Read somewhere that its a way of instilling discipline. She would quiet after a few minutes of pleading. My sked is basically like yours. Hope we will get through this tough times. Hehe. Goodluck to both of us.

·
where the tails wag
13,384 Posts
When I first bring a pup home, my first priority is teaching the pup his/her new environment and that I am there for them. They have very limited crate time while I am home.

I will start taking them out into the woods, to my backyard and start teaching them what their name is, how to sit and the beginnings of self control (ie; sit and wait for food, just a second of two and start building) and I begin crates games so that they learn to love their crates. I definitely take advantage of that short period of time when they natural come running when called to lay a solid foundation - they come, they are treated LOL

While I am home they spend so much time outside for potty duty the first few weeks that when they are inside they have free time. They are crated at night in my bedroom and they are crated if I cannot pay attention to them but generally other than crate training games they really do not spend much awake time in their crates - they need to love their crates since they will be spending a lot of time in them once they start showing & trialling. And they need to bond with me which cannot happen unless we spend time together.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Hi,
What an adorable pup you have there!!!
What worked for us was to make a schedule and stick to it , exactly, so your pup will eat and poop and nap and so on at the same time each day. It will make everything 100% easier.
Try to work up to crate periods that match when you will be out over the next 5 days.
Cover the crate and ignore the baby cries (however hard). If you have to give in, wait for a quiet period. Also, try music or a fan.
Try feeding her in the crate and hiding yummy treats throughout the day for her to find and realize her crate is a great place. Also, a puppy kong with frozen goodies in it will provide a distraction. Only use the 'kongsicle' for the crate. This works wonders for us. . .
My first few days of leaving for work nearly broke my heart. I would crate him using the frozen kong and crate phrase ('go in your house' for us) and then not make a fuss on my way out. Just one simple emotionless phrase like 'have a good day'. Then I would carry my shoes outside and sit on the porch doing them up and fretting while I listened for his crying to die down. It never lasted longer than 5 minutes and stopped altogether in the first week. I leave classical music playing and nylabones in addition to the kong.
Our walker reported that he had clearly been sleeping when she came in every day.
Oh, and I (and still do) got up obscenely early (5:30am) to make sure he had lots of time to eat, poop, walk, play, and interact (and be tired again) prior to leaving for work. He is 6 months old and I am still getting up early even on weekends. But the upside is he responds extremely well to his schedule. BTW, we still do crating on weekends just to keep up the routine, they are just shorter now.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi,
What an adorable pup you have there!!!
What worked for us was to make a schedule and stick to it , exactly, so your pup will eat and poop and nap and so on at the same time each day. It will make everything 100% easier.
Try to work up to crate periods that match when you will be out over the next 5 days.
Cover the crate and ignore the baby cries (however hard). If you have to give in, wait for a quiet period. Also, try music or a fan.
Try feeding her in the crate and hiding yummy treats throughout the day for her to find and realize her crate is a great place. Also, a puppy kong with frozen goodies in it will provide a distraction. Only use the 'kongsicle' for the crate. This works wonders for us. . .
My first few days of leaving for work nearly broke my heart. I would crate him using the frozen kong and crate phrase ('go in your house' for us) and then not make a fuss on my way out. Just one simple emotionless phrase like 'have a good day'. Then I would carry my shoes outside and sit on the porch doing them up and fretting while I listened for his crying to die down. It never lasted longer than 5 minutes and stopped altogether in the first week. I leave classical music playing and nylabones in addition to the kong.
Our walker reported that he had clearly been sleeping when she came in every day.
Oh, and I (and still do) got up obscenely early (5:30am) to make sure he had lots of time to eat, poop, walk, play, and interact (and be tired again) prior to leaving for work. He is 6 months old and I am still getting up early even on weekends. But the upside is he responds extremely well to his schedule. BTW, we still do crating on weekends just to keep up the routine, they are just shorter now.
How long do you crate your puppy? My golden's two and a half months old. How long do you suggest should i crate her especially as ill have to leave for work too. Thanks.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

1 - 5 of 5 Posts