Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
81 - 100 of 145 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Careful- it’s addicting! I quickly went from trick titles to “I want to do rally!” To “I want to do obedience !” To “I want to have a CH/OTCH dog!”
Lol, I am spending most of my free time on this now! I just finished Hallie’s CGC, and I am taking her to weekly dock training sessions (I know, not considered a “real” sport, but she loves it.) I’m starting Agility Foundations at the end of the month, and spend a long time every day exercising her and working on practicing what we learn at her puppy manners and cgc classes. I had no idea I was going to do any of this when I bought a puppy, but I brought her home and she was so busy and energetic. I wanted to find something fun for both of us to channel all that energy.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
Well call me and others who train stupid. I know people who have done it during same timeframe. I have and had no issue. My dog understood the difference....Utility articles are completely different.

It seems that everyone knows how every skill should be trained and achieved when they have yet to achieve high level titles themselves.
Didn’t call anyone stupid. I don’t happen to agree with teaching both at the same time. Chances are your dog was already catching onto one before you started the other. My dog was JUSTbeginning to teach articles.

·
Kate
23,738 Posts
Thank you for taking the time to explain this. I don’t think I’ll ever not be more of a pet person, but I am attempting to become more involved in dog sports and training with the puppy I have and would like to add another in two years or so.
Don't let some people scare you away from playing in different sports with your golden.

Conformation is a sport that can be difficult to get into for a variety of reasons.... but all the other sports should open to somebody with a golden retriever. We have the benefit of owning a breed that is pure delight to play in any game with. You do not get that versatility and joy of life in other breeds.

I was chatting with somebody recently who was jumping into obedience with her dog (not a golden) and... she was freaking out because she entered 3 trials without doing any training. I basically told her that at the beginner levels, a very green an untrained dog can't get into too much trouble. That worst thing that could happen is she NQ.... but lots of people NQ all the time at trials and it's not going to end the world, nor will people look down on her and her dog.

Her breed of dog is one that rarely to never shows up in obedience and when it does, it turns heads and makes it very thrilling when they do well. And I assured her that with a lot of kitchen doodles every day, her dog would be fine.

One advantage she has with a conformation dog (meaning her dog has been showing for the last 1-2 years) is her dog is completely unflappable when it comes to other dogs, people, noise, etc. But even people without conformation dogs.... they should do just fine.

The motto for showing in conformation for me is.... you can't win if you don't show up. And for obedience and other sports, aim for the easier titles in the these sports and train with somebody that will teach you to train the upper level stuff like articles and jumping and whatnot. You may never show your dog in utility (although with many changes in obedience since the 90's, it's definitely a lot easier to get dogs into utility than it was before!!!!), but it a lot of fun to teach everything to the dogs and more than that you have the very best dogs around the house when they are trained to that level.

·
Lead Super Moderator
2,373 Posts
Lol, I am spending most of my free time on this now! I just finished Hallie’s CGC, and I am taking her to weekly dock training sessions (I know, not considered a “real” sport, but she loves it.) I’m starting Agility Foundations at the end of the month, and spend a long time every day exercising her and working on practicing what we learn at her puppy manners and cgc classes. I had no idea I was going to do any of this when I bought a puppy, but I brought her home and she was so busy and energetic. I wanted to find something fun for both of us to channel all that energy.
Idk why people knock dock diving. It’s so much fun and if the dogs like it, they LOVE it. Eevee literally cries waiting for her turn on the dock.

You keep doing what you’re doing, and you’ll be able to go straight to the top of most breeders’ lists.

And I want to echo something Kate said: if you NQ, you NQ. No one is going to look down on you for it. We NQ’d in obedience last weekend. It was my fault. I was super disappointed of course, but everyone was truly rooting for me and were very encouraging after.

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
Idk why people knock dock diving. It’s so much fun and if the dogs like it, they LOVE it. Eevee literally cries waiting for her turn on the dock.
I don't know either. I have been doing it with my dogs for years. It's a great way to get them to love water and a good reward on a hot day after yard work.
Making an event or "sport" out of it? Kind of silly IMO but if it gets people out, active and enjoying their dogs, great.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I would consider Dock Diving a sport. It's competitive, takes talent, courage, and training, and builds a bond with your dog. Each competitor must be in solid physical condition, at least the ones actually jumping competitively, and not the ones competing for fun...

·
the party's crashing us
4,610 Posts
Another dog I was gobsmacked to find out that he got his CH, MH, and even a UD in the same year. And regular normal people - and this dog had a lot of hair. More hair than my dogs! (ETA - dog is a CH MACH UDX MH - owner handled).
Who is that? The only CH MACH UDX MH Goldens are Carbide, Caymus and Ryzin...neither owner-handled to all their titles (Carbide & Ryzin had handlers for the CH, Caymus was professionally handled in field (Sharon Long), breed and agility) and NONE are big, overdone or hairy dogs. I can tell you this because Carbide is the son of my dog Fisher, who was as light coated as a show dog can get, and I have personally groomed and handled Ryzin in the show ring.

If you're talking about Jay, he is a CH/UD/MH...professionally handled in the show ring, not by his owner...yes he was a big boy but clearly a capable dog

Reactions: Rion05 and Megora

·
the party's crashing us
4,610 Posts
Is there another thread I'm missing? I haven't looked at GRF in like two weeks.

To answer the question, everyone has their own goals and I would never devalue someone's goals.
Personally I wish almost all of the new AKC titles were instead certificates of completion rather than titles : dock diving, CGCs, trick dogs, all-breed lure coursing, barn hunt, etc. They take little to no training, any dog can easily do them, they mean little about the dog's trainability, physical ability or his potential contributions to the gene pool. It's a fun thing to do on the weekend with your dog, which is great, but why does it need to be on his permanent record?
Titles I put some weight on are the OS/OD/VC program qualifiers : CH+, UD+, MH+, MACH, TDX+
By "+" I mean titles in that venue of greater accomplishment
None of these can be earned by "winging it" or being a weekend warrior. However, even with impressive titles like these, it doesn't tell you HOW the dog earned it. Plenty of bad dogs have earned these titles. The dog who took 56 tries for a Master Hunter. The dog shown for 5 years for a CH. The TDX that stumbled into it with little training (I know one!). It's still up to you to do your research and see dogs for yourself if you want to breed or buy.

·
Jamie
630 Posts

To answer the question, everyone has their own goals and I would never devalue someone's goals.
Personally I wish almost all of the new AKC titles were instead certificates of completion rather than titles : dock diving, CGCs, trick dogs, all-breed lure coursing, barn hunt, etc. They take little to no training, any dog can easily do them, they mean little about the dog's trainability, physical ability or his potential contributions to the gene pool. It's a fun thing to do on the weekend with your dog, which is great, but why does it need to be on his permanent record?
Titles I put some weight on are the OS/OD/VC program qualifiers : CH+, UD+, MH+, MACH, TDX+
By "+" I mean titles in that venue of greater accomplishment
None of these can be earned by "winging it" or being a weekend warrior. However, even with impressive titles like these, it doesn't tell you HOW the dog earned it. Plenty of bad dogs have earned these titles. The dog who took 56 tries for a Master Hunter. The dog shown for 5 years for a CH. The TDX that stumbled into it with little training (I know one!). It's still up to you to do your research and see dogs for yourself if you want to breed or buy.
Enjoy -

·
Registered
Finn
953 Posts
There is another that I posted in the 'chit chat' forum that linked a current Canine Chronicle article on show and working gundogs. This thread was started because of that one. There is also another interesting one that I posted asking for help IDing a dog that turned into a cool discussion.

·
Kate
23,738 Posts
Who is that? The only CH MACH UDX MH Goldens are Carbide, Caymus and Ryzin...neither owner-handled to all their titles (Carbide & Ryzin had handlers for the CH, Caymus was professionally handled in field (Sharon Long), breed and agility) and NONE are big, overdone or hairy dogs. I can tell you this because Carbide is the son of my dog Fisher, who was as light coated as a show dog can get, and I have personally groomed and handled Ryzin in the show ring.
Was one of the dogs you mention here.

Did not consider excessive in any way, just noting that the boy had coat on him (it was longer than my dog's coat) and it obviously didn't sink him in the water or trip him up on the obstacles. :)

I was under the impression he was owner handled the whole way - only saw him being handled by one of his owners.

Other thread was mostly tearing down of the breed as it is today. Which is sad.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Other thread was mostly tearing down of the breed as it is today. Which is sad.
I didn't see it that way personally. It seemed to me that it was really about how conformation dogs ought to be capable of working as the breed is intended to (in the field) and field dogs should still meet some standard of conformation as well. Everyone here loves the breed. It's really the extremes that are troublesome (conformation dogs with zero instincts, too much bone/fur, field dogs that are poorly built or lacking in certain areas).

·
Kate
23,738 Posts
Everyone here loves the breed. It's really the extremes that are troublesome (conformation dogs with zero instincts, too much bone/fur, field dogs that are poorly built or lacking in certain areas).
I think when people have their own biases based on their own dogs, it can be impossible to move them closer to the center where they will even be able to talk kindly and considerately to other dog owners.

I suppose I have my own biases because I've owned one style of golden for the last 30 years or whatever it has been. I see dogs that resemble vizslas to me and I do not really feel anything about them. It's not about finding dogs to be ugly. It's just ambivalence about dogs where they just weren't bred for the whole thing.

Dogs that clearly were bred for it all - those I do greatly admire. But their owners do not participate in these conversations. Anney is one owner who does it all with her boys (and now her girlie), but there are others.

Also people who get neurotic about coats - I seriously want them to borrow a rough collie for a few days. Golden retrievers even with show coats are WONDERFUL and very easy to keep clean and coats sorted. And despite people making a mountain out of a molehill about properly grooming a golden, it is basic.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I think when people have their own biases based on their own dogs, it can be impossible to move them closer to the center where they will even be able to talk kindly and considerately to other dog owners.

I suppose I have my own biases because I've owned one style of golden for the last 30 years or whatever it has been. I see dogs that resemble vizslas to me and I do not really feel anything about them. It's not about finding dogs to be ugly. It's just ambivalence about dogs where they just weren't bred for the whole thing.

Dogs that clearly were bred for it all - those I do greatly admire. But their owners do not participate in these conversations. Anney is one owner who does it all with her boys (and now her girlie), but there are others.

Also people who get neurotic about coats - I seriously want them to borrow a rough collie for a few days. Golden retrievers even with show coats are WONDERFUL and very easy to keep clean and coats sorted. And despite people making a mountain out of a molehill about properly grooming a golden, it is basic.
I have both a conformation type golden and a field type golden. My conformation girl is definitely much more work grooming wise than my field girl, who I would describe as very "wash and wear". But she looks nothing like a visla, that's for sure. I will say that my dogs fit the stereotypes well, as my conformation type girl has little to no interest in retrieving and my field type girl will go all day on ducks or bumpers etc. You would probably disapprove of my field girl by looks, but she's an amazing dog with drive and talent IMO.
Dog Plant Carnivore Wood Grass
Dog Snow Carnivore Collar Liver

·
Kate
23,738 Posts
I have both a conformation type golden and a field type golden. My conformation girl is definitely much more work grooming wise than my field girl, who I would describe as very "wash and wear". But she looks nothing like a visla, that's for sure. I will say that my dogs fit the stereotypes well, as my conformation type girl has little to no interest in retrieving and my field type girl will go all day on ducks or bumpers etc. You would probably disapprove of my field girl by looks, but she's an amazing dog with drive and talent IMO.
Do you have a picture of the conformation type girl?

I dabbled in field with mine 3+ years ago. That was before my younger guy was born, but my 3 year old was a pup at the time. He was FUN to work with for field, but he wanted to eat the birds. Which might be corrected with ecollars, but I was and still am unwilling to go that route. I was going to revisit this year esp with the national being in town and the field stuff being only 30 minutes away, but thanks to a lot of the yacking on this forum, I just feel dread about getting back into it. And I just don't want to anymore. It's not about my dogs. It's never been about the dogs. I had been thinking about going out to watch at least, but that dready depressiveness that surrounds the people in the sport makes me not want to. It stinks because it's not everyone. I have very good friends who play in field or even live breathe etc field - so it's not them. It's just other people.

For obedience - I can't say enough how happy I am with my dogs. Their breeders hear about it often. You do not get that trainability in every dog, so the breeders themselves mattered.

The vizsla comparison for me it the bone or lack of. The heads/expressions obviously are different. We all know a golden retriever just by looking at its face, doesn't matter field or conf.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Dog Carnivore Plant Dog breed Whiskers
Not any very good ones. This is a new computer and I haven't transferred very many files over yet. I know she looks light in this photo but she's not in any way close to the dreaded "cream" color.

81 - 100 of 145 Posts