Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just now, when I came onto this website, I happened to notice that I was logged in as hilabeans. I have NO idea how that could happen, given that I had not even tried to log in as myself, let alone someone else, nor would I even have hilabean's information in order to log in as that user. Also, given that hilabeans hasn't used my laptop, there should be NO reason for that user's cookies to be associated with my ip address or mac address. I took a screen shot and logged out immediately. I have no clue as to whether or not I would have been able to access hilabean's messages/settings/etc had I tried to, but I did get a log out confirmation before logging in as myself. I'd love to know how that is even possible? Additionally, this seems like a serious privacy violation and a rather urgent issue that the admins should look into. I doubt anyone wants other users logged in as them....

I have attached the screenshot.

Attachments

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Wow. Apparently, it happens EVERY time I access the site, despite logging out, closing my browser and deleting cookies. It happens in firefox and safari. I must currently exist in some parallel universe of wackiness, as this thread doesn't even pop up on "active topics," either.

EDIT : Now it's at least in active topics....

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update: My identity crisis appears to be over. I am no longer hilabeans when I access the forum. Thanks to whomever fixed this, if someone did. Perhaps the fix was as random as the problem.

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
Update: My identity crisis appears to be over. I am no longer hilabeans when I access the forum. Thanks to whomever fixed this, if someone did. Perhaps the fix was as random as the problem.
But still- the privacy issue remains...

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I spoke too soon. Now, I am maggie’s voice on my phone. What is happening??? Is it too much to ask to be able to actually LURK here???

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
I believe admin is working on this. I had the same problem. I found if you hit your user CP button twice, it will take it back to your user name. even when you seem to be logged in under someone else, it is still you. as I say, they are working on it ...There seems to be a glitch in the system.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
Did you try clicking on User CP to see if you are in your account or theirs? Maybe it's only the name at the Welcome that is wrong

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Did you try clicking on User CP to see if you are in your account or theirs? Maybe it's only the name at the Welcome that is wrong
Frankly, the IT Admin in me wanted to do that, but the fact that it would have been a possible invasion of someone else’s privacy prevented me from doing so. Having said that, I finally got so f’ing annoyed that I did it, just to see what page would pop, and so that I could inform the other users if I had indeed been able to access their private information. I feel that it would have been their right to know that it was accessible to others. Thankfully, it told me that I was not logged in, at all. Privacy and lurking status preserved, despite my initial panic attack at what appeared to be unauthorized access to someone else’s account. However, I still have serious misgivings about having decided to click on the User CP link because if someone else’s page had come up, that would have weighed very heavily on me, even if I hadn’t looked at any information. Not only should I not have access, but I shouldn’t even have the appearance of access.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
I see your concern but at least now we know no one is actually getting into someone else's account.

·
Administrator
16,467 Posts
This too has happened to me as I came on the board only to see the main forum as someone else. However once I start clicking on things it goes back under just my board and profile. The update they did must be getting crossed over somehow having a member seeing the board as another until they start to do anything on the board. Also some people (including myself) are being logged out the the board from time to time, even if they have it set to remember me. We are forwarding these issues ( as well as some other issues Mods only are running into on the board) onto the tech team, as I know this is all concerning and a bit frustrating as well.

·
Registered
12,493 Posts
This too has happened to me as I came on the board only to see the main forum as someone else. However once I start clicking on things it goes back under just my board and profile. The update they did must be getting crossed over somehow having a member seeing the board as another until they start to do anything on the board. Also some people (including myself) are being logged out the the board from time to time, even if they have it set to remember me. We are forwarding these issues ( as well as some other issues Mods only are running into on the board) onto the tech team, as I know this is all concerning and a bit frustrating as well.

I've had to re-sign in every day since Wednesday - including today.

·
Registered
12,493 Posts
We are checking remember me every time. I had to re-log in again today.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts