Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so today is Gilmour's 1st Birthday. And boy is he taking liberties...

He has not had an indoors accident since he was 9 weeks old. None.

This morning, he gets up, and plants a big steaming pile right in the middle of the living room in front of the TV.

I chalked that up to being my fault for not paying attention to him when he started nudging me at 0530 and making him wait until 6am before I opened the bedroom gate to let him out, and he just couldn't make it out the dog door.

But....

This evening I'm sitting there watching TV, and he walks to the center of the living room, squats, and lets out massive pee. Right in the middle of the living room.

Wait, what ????

I go over to soak it up with some paper towels, and I see there is a nice new steaming pile a few feet away.

What the hell has happened?

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
Did you get all the scent out with something like Natures Miracle? If you did, then maybe he is trying to show you he isnt ready to be a big boy now. If it keeps up then I would have him checked out. The kids sometimes can really frustrate us. During Christmas right in front of the whole family Bama went over to the tree and hiked his leg like he was going to pee on it. I yelled all the family jumped and Bama walked off without doing it. Thank goodness.

·
Love my Golden Boys!!
7,079 Posts
That's odd......Austin, who just turned 1 on December 27 had what I would call an "off" day on his birthday as well. He didn't pee or poo in the house but had a couple of scraps with his younger brother.....something they haven't done in months and haven't done since. Maybe it's a hormonal thing or something!!!

·
Loving goldens since '95
7,004 Posts
Maybe Gilmour is protesting the fact that he is no longer a puppy?

Sorry to hear about his mishaps... Fingers crossed that it's nothing medical and that he's back to his normal self tomorrow!

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I've nailed it 4 times now with Carpet Fresh :) The foamy no-vaccum kind.

Did you get all the scent out with something like Natures Miracle? If you did, then maybe he is trying to show you he isnt ready to be a big boy now. If it keeps up then I would have him checked out. The kids sometimes can really frustrate us. During Christmas right in front of the whole family Bama went over to the tree and hiked his leg like he was going to pee on it. I yelled all the family jumped and Bama walked off without doing it. Thank goodness.

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
I've always followed the mantra that when a housebroken dog starts pottying indoors, to always rule out medical issues first. I think its time for a visit to the vet! Good luck!

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
I would probably have him checked out too, just to be on the safe side. But then, I'm a worry wart and tend to run to the vet quickly. lol.

It could just be that he's a quick learner. The first one may have been an accident, like you thought, and now he could simply be thinking "Oh, so it's okay to do that."
"Regular" cleaners won't get the smell out. We won't be able to smell it, but he will be. You really need to use something with enzymes, like Nature's Miracle. (Even white vinegar has worked for me.) And you might have to watch him for a while until he understands that it's NOT okay to go there.

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Actually, yes. But minor. To get him eating more regularly (he's a finicky eater - I didn't even know this could exist in a Golden LOL) so I've started mixing one tablespoon of Canned Castor & Pollux UltraMix with his normal Castor & Pollux UltraMix dry Kibble.

That has really helped with the eating, but I don't see that it should cause him to go poop-crazy.

Anything different with his food? But I don't know why that would make him pee too ... weird.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Interesting....Parker is 8 mos old tomorrow and has been housebroke forever, he's even been free at night for over a month.....as I was fiddling with something in the livingroom a few days ago I heard liquid running and it was him!! He just learned to semi lift his leg and had it lifted on my leather ottoman!! Fortunately he only actually raises his leg and missed the ottoman but it freaked me out! How brazen!!

Which reminds me of a funny thing, my daughters 9 month old lab just learned to lift his leg too, only problem is he lifts the front leg, he's a real piece of work!

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
something in the air? Scout was doing great - this morning I was walking around, no shoes and or socks, and splat! :doh: What is a puddle doing in the middle of the carpet.

So I clean it and he watches - even suggesting I check out a spot in the corner with dry pee on it. :doh:.

YEsterday he wakes me and I go to take him out...he is all happy and cute...doing a little trot. Walks me over to his newly deposited poop pile. All happy go lucky like "look what I made."

He does great and all of the sudden I'm at the start again. I did notice recently he has started to follow Noah around the yard and pee over anything noah pees on....so maybe he is testing out his big dog skills? marking? but the poop is not marking, I think it's I prefer not to go out in the dark....:no::mad:

Oh 8 months old

1 - 16 of 16 Posts