Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

What the heck is this????

6K views 23 replies 10 participants last post by  BeauShel 
#1 ·
Some kind of sore or something? Could it be irritated if a whisker was pulled out? It doesn't hurt him. Should I call the vet?

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Is this a scab or just a red spot? I can't tell from the picture. If it's a scab, maybe he rubbed an itch/bug bite to the point of bleeding. I've removed a tick before and some fur came with, and left a little red bald spot...until the fur grew back. I'd say watch it for a day or two and then call the Vet if it doesn't get better.

looking at it again, I'm inclined to think he rubbed it raw...we're in the midst of allergy season here and Ike will rub his face on the carpet and I'm sure he'd cause an irritation if I didn't stop him. Have you noticed if he's itchy lately? You might try benadryl if he is.

#4 ·
This is more raised. It almost looks like one of those tiny little berries from a tree is stuck in his face. He is current on his frontline treatment so if it's from a bug I don't think a tick. It does seem I irritated it though because it looks a bit swollen on the side of his face but he couldn't care less that I touched it.

#7 ·
I'm thinking bug bite. Maybe watch it for a day or 2 and if it's not better than have it looked it. Tick bites can be raised and swollen after the tick falls off too, so doesn't mean it's not from a tick. The frontline doesn't prevent tick bites, it's supposed to prevent them from staying attached. My Sam caught Lyme while on Frontline.

It looks red to me, sorry. I thought it was swollen, like a bite. I too thought mole, but assumed you'd have noticed one there before. It does look dark red on my computer screen. What color would you say it is? Flesh colored, pink?

#9 · (Edited)
Trapper has a mole in the same spot, that looks exactly like that. It was flesh colour first and then it turned brown. He has had it for about 3 yrs.

#19 ·
Are there any inside the mouth? If it has a cauleyflower-like texture, it could be the Canine Papilloma Virus. It's basically harmless and there's no treatment other than waiting for it to run its course. Contagious to other dogs though. http://www.goldenretrieverforum.com/showthread.php?p=923106 I posted a pic of Molson's wart inside of his gum in that thread and it ended up disappearing about a month later. He has no signs of it anymore.

If it's not that, I hope it's nothing serious! It could just be a regular ol' wart.

Keep us posted.

#13 ·
He most likely pulled out or lost a whisker, they usually leave a little raised red spot on mine if that happens.

#15 ·
It looks similar to something we are watching on my lab Belle. I am curious to what your vet says.

Belle has been scratching her face lately, nose, eyes, chin. My vet said to watch her. Barb thought maybe she has a "fungal" thingy going on that is causing her to itch. I may call my vet back. Her red spot has healed, but now I am noticing thinning hair on her muzzle. Again it could be from scratching but if it is "fungal" there could be an easy treatment. However my vet recommended Aveeno, we did that Belle just licks it off. :doh: How in HECK would you keep something on their muzzle. Belle does not seemed distressed.

Let us know what your vet says.

#20 ·
Well, I squeezed it enough and it had some clear drainage. I am starting to think it could be from the loss of a whisker and it is irritated or possibly infected. I am going to the vet in the a.m., at 10:15 just to be on the safe side. I was surprised he didn't jerk away from me when I squeezed it though, it almost reminded m of a stubborn zit. Since there was drainage it's not a wart, correct? Thanks everyone!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.