Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
12,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Something has changed in Tee in the past week or so. She won't jump up on my bed, and she won't jump into the car. We have a vet appt. Tuesday, so I will be asking about upping her pain meds, but I think I need to get something to assist her up onto my bed.

I'm envisioning steps - like 2-3 steps or something. Can you buy something like this? Did you build some sort of steps for your dog? I'm not very handy, and I don't really know what exists out there. But I am open to all suggestions. I don't like waking up with no dog on my bed. :( Thank you.

·
Super Moderator Leader
49,000 Posts
You can buy steps and ramps for dogs, Petco, Petsmart both carry a variety. You can do a Google search and find various styles and sizes, prices vary.

If you're handy, they are realtively easy to make and can be made from scrap pieces of wood and carpet.

My Bridge boy stopped sleeping in bed with us but occasionally wanted in bed when it stormed, had to pick him up and put him in bed.

We live in a raised ranch, have four stairs from the main level of the house going up to the bedrooms. I have wood flooring throughout the house with only area rugs. My husband made a ramp out of scrap lumber and scrap carpet for my old guy to go up and down the stairs when he started having trouble with them.

·
Registered
12,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh! I hadn't thought of a ramp. That might be easier than steps. Steps aren't actually her best friends either these days. I live in a split level, so you come in the front door and it's 6 steps up and 6 steps down. You can't avoid them to go out - it's either 6 steps down, then 6 more outside, or 12 steps down inside down to the ground level garage door to outside. Poor girl. I need to get some sort of runner on them for her.

·
Super Moderator Leader
49,000 Posts
I think a ramp would be easier myself.

You can buy carpet runners/strips for steps, we considered that but was concerned with the adhesive sticking to the steps. We didn't want them to be permanent as we hope to put our house on the market in a few years.

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
I know the feeling all too well. Previously we have used a sturdy foot stool which acted as a large step.
With Tia's recent health challenges we have put our mattress on the floor!! I was too worried about her jumping off and injuring herself.
We have also put a trampoline bed and attached a wooden platform so she can jump into the car as Tia would not trust a ramp or anything that was not perfectly stable.

Good luck. I hope that Tee bounces back very soon! :)

·
Kate
21,498 Posts
When Jacks was a puppy, I put a soft side suitcase next to my bed. And taught him to go up and down. That soft side suitcase is still there, and even though he can easily jump twice the height up onto the bed, he still dutifully uses that suitcase to get up and off. :)

With our two old men, we invested in a mattress for the floor for them to sleep on when they decided not to sleep on beds anymore.

I don't know if this company ships to canada (I'm sure they do), but I love the products on here - http://www.inthecompanyofdogs.com/ShopCategory3.aspx?id=17,479&dispRow=479

·
New Mommy
6,137 Posts
I have this very cool ramp, think it came from Fosters and Smith. Very light weight and it can be used straight on or in an L shape. Here are the kittens doing a demo.

Attachments

·
Registered
364 Posts
I don't have Caesar or Jenni with me any more, but my wife has a little white thing that she calls a dog... LOL. We have one of those little three step things that he goes up and down on all the time.

When Jenni and Caesar were with me, they were always able to jump up on the bed, but I tried not to let them jump down. To much pressure and impact on their shoulders.

But, I think steps or a ramp is perfect for our friends.....

Pat

·
Registered
12,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When Jacks was a puppy, I put a soft side suitcase next to my bed. And taught him to go up and down. That soft side suitcase is still there, and even though he can easily jump twice the height up onto the bed, he still dutifully uses that suitcase to get up and off. :)

With our two old men, we invested in a mattress for the floor for them to sleep on when they decided not to sleep on beds anymore.

I don't know if this company ships to canada (I'm sure they do), but I love the products on here - Dog Ramps & Stairs - Dog Beds, Dog Harnesses & Collars, Dog Clothes & Gifts for Dog Lovers | In The Company of Dogs
There are some great options there. I checked out the shipping to Canada - 4 times the cost to the US!! About $80 to ship an $80 ramp. Yikes!! But I have seen some similar products on Canadian sites. I think I need to go with a ramp - I just have no idea if Tesia would use it or if it would be scary to her. I guess there are ways to get them used to it. Treats!

I used to have a sofa bed that I put in storage, but it had these great, thick, sturdy seat cushions. When Tesia pulled a muscle a few years back, I put it on the floor like you did your suitcase. It was perfect. Sadly, I sold the couch.

·
Registered
12,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have this very cool ramp, think it came from Fosters and Smith. Very light weight and it can be used straight on or in an L shape. Here are the kittens doing a demo.
Oh! I forgot Fosters and Smith. It didn't come up in my google search. I'm going to check them out. Thanks for the reminder! Looks like your kitties approve of their ramp :)

And thanks to all for your ideas and input. I think the ramp is the way to go. But wouldn't you just know - I woke up this morning with Tee on my bed! I didn't put her there, so she clearly jumped up. Clearly, she's just trying to keep me on my toes.

·
Super Moderator Leader
49,000 Posts
The ramp Claire's Friend has from DRs. F & S looks great. I order a lot of things from them, they're a good co.

I'm sure your girl has some days that are better than others just like people do.

·
Registered
12,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The ramp Claire's Friend has from DRs. F & S looks great. I order a lot of things from them, they're a good co.

I'm sure your girl has some days that are better than others just like people do.
Agreed. And the swimming season is beginning (starts today in this house!) so hopefully, we'll have more better days. But I'm still going to get some kind of ramp. I don't want her hurting herself.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Our bed is 30" off the floor. A bit too high for a new pup. Didn't want to put unnecessary strain on his developing joints so I started looking for something that would work for him as he grows. Didn't want a ramp or plastic steps. Wanted something solid that could hold his weight as he grows with wide steps and no hinges that could fail. I was thinking about making my own. This Old House has instructions on how to make your own: http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/static/pdf/Petsteps_Plans.pdf

Then I came across some stairs at our local pet store that are hand made - pretty much following the same instructions. For those of you in the Southern California area, try Centinela Feed & Pet Supplies, they use a local to build steps by hand. I purchased a 3 step (16"wide and 25") tall for less than $60. They are covered with carpet. I'm over 180lbs and the steps hold my weight easily. It took our pup about 2 tries to figure it out. I just walked him (on leash) into the bedroom and up the stairs onto the bed. The steps are not too heavy, by no means are they portable. They don't slip or slide (the carpet wraps underneath). I've tried them on carpet and hardwood.

Hope this helps someone!

Attachments

·
Loving memory of Phoebe
217 Posts
We have a very tall King bed, and our Phoebe (8 1/2 years) can still easily jump up when she really wants to. But we also have added a sitting bench/storage chest at the foot of the bed which acts as a step for her.

She's started playing games with us though. On nights when she wants to get in the bed with us, she waits until 1/2 hour to 1 hour after I'm in bed and then comes over to her Dad's side of the bed and puts her two paws up and whacks on him to make him get up and lift her into bed! lol

If that doesn't work, she comes to my side of the bed and nuzzles me. I won't pick her up, but do end up getting up and helping her negotiate the step at the foot of the bed and lifting her hind end up - shooting her forward up onto the bed.

It's hysterical. She has her people well trained.

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
If for whatever reason you can't get the padded/foldable ramp thing shipped economically to Canada, something somewhat similar can probably be found if you search for a similar product through a gymnastic or preschool supply company. Or, if you have an upholsterer who makes replacement cushions for furniture, they would probably be able to create something custom made for you.

·
Registered
12,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
We have a very tall King bed, and our Phoebe (8 1/2 years) can still easily jump up when she really wants to. But we also have added a sitting bench/storage chest at the foot of the bed which acts as a step for her.

She's started playing games with us though. On nights when she wants to get in the bed with us, she waits until 1/2 hour to 1 hour after I'm in bed and then comes over to her Dad's side of the bed and puts her two paws up and whacks on him to make him get up and lift her into bed! lol

If that doesn't work, she comes to my side of the bed and nuzzles me. I won't pick her up, but do end up getting up and helping her negotiate the step at the foot of the bed and lifting her hind end up - shooting her forward up onto the bed.

It's hysterical. She has her people well trained.
How do we all become so wrapped around those fuzzy paws? :eek:

Tesia is back to mostly jumping up on the bed again. Mostly jumping into the car. But I know I still need to find some solution. The steps seem so practical, but I worry because steps aren't necessarily her favourite thing when she is hurting either. I do lift her up, she's not that heavy, but she won't wake me up to get her up in the night, so unless she is up when I go to sleep, she may not make it up at all.

Swimming season has begun, so hopefully, her legs will be feeling better. The vet also gave me some massage and muscle stretching tips last week.

·
Registered
12,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If for whatever reason you can't get the padded/foldable ramp thing shipped economically to Canada, something somewhat similar can probably be found if you search for a similar product through a gymnastic or preschool supply company. Or, if you have an upholsterer who makes replacement cushions for furniture, they would probably be able to create something custom made for you.
That is a GREAT idea - I never would have thought of that. I have definitely run into some crazy high shipping costs - one ramp was $80 and the shipping fee was $80. Yikes. There are a couple Canadian companies, but I haven't found anything right yet.

Thanks for the idea!

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
I'm getting the biggest smiles here reading about all the parents that go to such lengths for their pups...decor be dam*ed: I want my Golden on my bed!

Penny is still able to jump and down but she doesn't share. She wakes me up with a nuzzle. I get up give her her biscuit and she goes back to bed on MY bed which is now conveniently unoccupied! :doh:

I wouldn't hestitate to put a ramp or steps up if she needed them!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts