Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! Happy Holidays!

I'm picking up my 8 week old golden pup in a couple weeks and will be flying back with her under the seat in a sherpa bag. I'm just curious what others have used - what size bag should I get?

A Medium bag holds up to 16 pounds and is 18"L x 10.5"H x 11"W

A Large bag is 20"L x 11.5"H x x 11.75"W.

Thanks!

·
Opus and Tasha
3,992 Posts
At this age your puppy is growing very quickly, so I'd say get the largest size bag that will fit as carry on.

·
Magica Goldens
1,363 Posts
Check with the airline - all have different regs. I don't think the 20" is "legal" on some carriers.
Erica

·
Kristy
9,936 Posts
Erica is correct... ABSOLUTELY check with your airline... they will probably have very specific requirements and will not let you on board if your bag doesn't meet them. Also, if you don't have a reservation number for your dog, be sure to get one asap. The airline limits the # of animals they will have on a flight and you want to make sure you don't miss the cut.

Some airlines charge a fee also, so make sure you're up on that. I fly to Tampa on January 4th to pick up my baby, so I have been working on this recently.

You could have your sherpa shipped directly to your breeder and then you wouldn't have to carry it on the flight over and your puppy could grow accustomed to it before the actual day.

Good luck!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks! I booked my ticket a few days ago and paid my puppy fee. It sounds like the Medium bag would work fine within the airline's size limitations. Do you all think that's a big enough size for an 8-week old puppy to be comfortable? I'm not sure how big the pups will be at 8 weeks. It looks so small!

Thank you all for the advice! My puppy and I appreciate it all!

·
Where The Bitches Rule
6,429 Posts
If it is a genuine "Sherpa" brand bag it should be fine. The medium size will work unless the pup is unusually big for it's age. The key is it MUST fit under the seat in front of you. I used the medium for Oriana when we flew from Florida and it just fit under the seat with little room to spare.

·
Robin
313 Posts
I had to get the large one for my girl who was 9 weeks old at the time, but she was huge. How long is your flight? The medium one will probably work, although I know that the large was allowed on my flight (Northwest), and I know a few other people who have used that same size on other airlines. Good luck, and I can't wait to see puppy pictures. :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My flight is about 4 hours - hopefully not too long for the puppy! I'll stick to the Medium bag unless my girl turns out to be a big one.

Thanks everyone!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts