Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We recently brought home a new Goldie puppy. She’s been keeping our older retriever busy. We need a bigger car or pickup to travel with both dogs.

Can two large kennels fit at the back seat of a pickup truck? How do you travel with two retrievers?
Dog breed Comfort Companion dog Working animal Terrestrial animal

·
Registered
402 Posts
Since we just have a small sedan, we have our two in the back seat with seatbelt harnesses - K9 outfitter champions - and a seat cover. I see lots of people with SUVs/vans and car crates strapped down in the back. For our next car we'll get an SUV.

·
Premium Member
1,725 Posts
In recent years we've had a couple Subaru Foresters, and now a Hyundai Tucson. In the Tucson we can fit two metal crates in the back with the seats down. In the Foresters we could put two metal crates plus a soft crate in the back if we needed to.

However, a few months back somebody here posted about how the rear section of SUV's, from the back to the rear seats, is considered a crumple zone. So in rear impacts that section of the car/SUV crumples to absorb the impact. Whatever is back there can potentially get crushed. Wish I remembered who posted that so she/he could get credit. Something I had never thought of.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I have a Chevy Tahoe and my husband has a Chevy Duramax short bed 2500. We can fit two Gunner Intermediate kennels in the back of both easily. The Tahoe is full with the intermediate size, no way two large would fit. We have an Ainley three hole on order with all the bells & whistles.

·
Super Moderator Leader
52,797 Posts
In recent years we've had a couple Subaru Foresters, and now a Hyundai Tucson. In the Tucson we can fit two metal crates in the back with the seats down. In the Foresters we could put two metal crates plus a soft crate in the back if we needed to.

However, a few months back somebody here posted about how the rear section of SUV's, from the back to the rear seats, is considered a crumple zone. So in rear impacts that section of the car/SUV crumples to absorb the impact. Whatever is back there can potentially get crushed. Wish I remembered who posted that so she/he could get credit. Something I had never thought of.
Here is the thread you were talking about, it was posted by G-Bear-

A warning for those who travel with dogs | Golden Retriever Dog Forums (goldenretrieverforum.com)

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
You may find this Facebook page helpful: Log into Facebook

(I assume this link will take you to the page, but if not the page is called Dog Sport Vehicle Ideas & Set-Ups)

·
the party's crashing us
4,420 Posts
Give up all your pride and self respect and buy a FORD TRANSIT you'll never look back LOL

·
Premium Member
1,929 Posts
I have a Toyota Sienna van and it's wonderful for the dogs. I often travel to agility events with my own Golden Retriever, my daughter's poodle and a friend's two Portuguese water dogs (and the three humans). We have plenty of room for everyone to be crated even with four human seats in place. There is more than enough room in the back for two large crates, with space for a "crumple zone" as well. I'm on my second Sienna. We previously had a Subaru Forester (which I hated and which was far too small for dog crates) and a Nissan SUV, which was ok but could only fit one crate. Vans are a great option.

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
I only have one dog, but I train with several people with two or more.

Any pick up will fit two kennels in the back truck bed - you just need to get one of those covers for it. My guess is they aren't cheap, but obviously not optional.

A friend in our group just got a VW Tiguan and she loves it. Two kennels and lots of room. She previously had a Jeep which was a much tighter fit. Another person has the Toyota 4Runner. Also tons of room.

I have been looking at the Honda Passport for a long time - it has a huge back. Can't imagine two kennels wouldn't easily fit.

Any full size SUV will work if you don't want to go the pick-up route. I actually bring my kennel to dealerships when I'm shopping for cars to try them out - I recommend it!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Any pick up will fit two kennels in the back truck bed - you just need to get one of those covers for it. My guess is they aren't cheap, but obviously not optional.
If a cover is required for the pickup truck bed, might as well get a big SUV…

What size and brands of crate is safe and easy to tie down? I’m concerned if I can fit two crates side by side at the back of SUV for two large golden.

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
They do make crates that are a bit narrower so that two large crates can fit side by side in a SUV. Here’s one (currently out of stock on Amazon but I’m sure there others): https://www.amazon.com/Midwest-Plastic-36-Inch-21-Inch-26-Inch/dp/B000ZLY0KU

If safety is a major concern (and you’re made of money) you may want to look at the Gunner crates or VarioCage ( I think vVario makes a crate designed to accommodate two dogs). .

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
I have a Dodge Grand Caravan. I have 2 Midwest SUV crates in the back and still have plenty of space for 4 people.

·
Registered
356 Posts
A problem with pickups is that the tailgate is often too high for the dogs (especially older dogs) to jump up on or down from. You may need to pick them up or get a ramp. If you need to go over rough roads, an SUV is a better option. If you are driving on normal roads, suck it up and get a mini-van. Tons of room and a fairly low step to get inside (great for older dogs). I have a Toyota Sienna. If you want to maximize room, look for a minivan with rear seats you can remove completely, as opposed to folding down.

Reactions: pawsnpaca

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
I’m concerned if I can fit two crates side by side at the back of SUV for two large golden.
The SUVs I mentioned in my post are all owned by people I train with who have two kennels in them. Liek I said, really, any full size SUV is going to probably fit two kennels. Some can fit two vertically and one more horizontally up closer to the front seats. I don't think you would need a kennel any larger than a 36", and as some have mentioned, there are some that are narrower, too. I'd get the dimensions and then start doing the research. Most of the car company websites have their cars full specs and dimensions so you can get a pretty good idea of which models might work. Then, just bring your kennels to the dealerships and try them! It's fun to watch people's reactions. 😄

·
Premium Member
1,929 Posts
I’m concerned if I can fit two crates side by side at the back of SUV for two large golden.
My Toyota Sienna van is wider than most SUVs, and it's a very tight squeeze to fit two 36" crates side by side. In my previous Nissan SUV, I could fit two crates but only if I folded the rear seats down. I think the same is true of most SUVs. A friend of mine has a Mazda CX-5 and there is no way she would fit two crates in there if she didn't fold down the rear seats. She can't even fit one crate in the rear cargo area. So with a SUV, you're ok if you're alone or if you travel with one other person. We're a family of three humans and two dogs, so a SUV wasn't an option for us.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Enjoy your new pup! Here’s more info to help. Most experieneced dog people use WIRE crates & have for years. For ventilation reasons. With windows & sun roof open, silver tarps, hatch or doors open, will be as cool as parked under the trees!! Plastic crates less good.Well-made wire crates are reasonably sturdy. Also u have better visibility in most vehicles and fore sure, in terms of dog seeing out/you seeing in.

However, thanks to ever-handy Google! there’s a good article that argues for plastic crates on the basis of crate CRASH TESTS. It also comments on which have better ventilation. But only for plastic crates. Some of the best one are heavy, awkward &/or expensive tho.
I am sticking with my WIRE crate — no one‘s ranked crate types for BOTH ventilation & crush resistance, suspect you can’t maximize both. I also have one in my kitchen. Indispensable and very safe, for rel. short periods. And I’ve found works well for for fireworks & thunder storms (dog in LR with me, doesn’t! )

Finally, a historic comment: nowadays, large vehicles are oh so popular, but size is not THE answer, for dogs or people, there are its downside.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts