Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the traditional heel position is that the dog walks on the left, however you are also supposed to be the "pack leader" for the dog so I am wondering if it should walk on the right. The reason being is that on the left I think they feel as though they are being protected more from things like cars when on a walk.

Just something I noticed today. I was trying to get Daisy to stay on the left, but as soon as I let her get on the right she stopped trying to pull to the opposite side.

Any reason you have your dog walk on one side rather than the other?

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
Rookie was trained to walk on my right because I have carpal tunnel syndrome in my left hand that hasn't been corrected yet. I can't hold the leash without my hand going numb. (Already had surgery on my right hand.)

ETA: I can't imagine that heeling on left or right has anything to do with the "pack leader" thing.

·
16,000 Posts
I know the traditional heel position is that the dog walks on the left, however you are also supposed to be the "pack leader" for the dog so I am wondering if it should walk on the right. The reason being is that on the left I think they feel as though they are being protected more from things like cars when on a walk.

Just something I noticed today. I was trying to get Daisy to stay on the left, but as soon as I let her get on the right she stopped trying to pull to the opposite side.

Any reason you have your dog walk on one side rather than the other?

Depends on which way you are going whether they are street side or not! My dogs are always at my left.

*If you use a slip or choke collar, make sure that it is on properly for whichever side your dog is on.

·
Knife Swallower
6,783 Posts
After years of obedience training, it's always on the left no matter what dog I am walking. I can't do formal obedience with Ranger, but I've still taught him to be on the left at all times.

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
My guys walk on my left only because that I how they were taught. I can't see it making a difference unless you planned on entering the ring.

·
The Missouri Crew
13,683 Posts
Always on the left side!

·
Love my Golden Boys!!
7,076 Posts
My guys are always on the left side as well...that's what they were taught at obedience training and we've kept with that.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Duke is trained to walk on the left so when I got Bailey I trained her to walk on the right. That way I can walk them both together, one in each hand.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Duke is trained to walk on the left so when I got Bailey I trained her to walk on the right. That way I can walk them both together, one in each hand.
I used to walk Reuben (Golden), Mandy(Sheepie) and Abby(Irish Setter) all at once, with them all on my left. The trick was to have the best trained one on the outside and the worst trained one next to me - the best trained one pushes the others toward me. They were so well trained that I could drape the leashes over my shoulders and never have to worry about corrections.

I wish I could train the girls to walk that well now. <sigh>

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
All of my dogs are trained to heel for the obedience ring on my left side. That is a highly stylized type of heeling that I would never ask for on a casual walk. So when I just wanted them to walk (although still not pull), I would put them on my right side.

Now my dogs are taught to heel on my right side also for various sports, and I don't really keep up with what side I have them on when I'm walking them. Their cue for formal heeling is my hand at my waist. If my hand is down then I don't care how they walk as long as they're not pulling.

The one exception to that is in the field, my hand is down, and while I do expect them to maintain heel position I don't require them to look at me. Their command for that is "walk."

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
Left. That's what was taught in obedience class so I just automatically start them out on the left. Even during "free" walk, they pretty much stay on my left but not in a heel position.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I used to walk Reuben (Golden), Mandy(Sheepie) and Abby(Irish Setter) all at once, with them all on my left. The trick was to have the best trained one on the outside and the worst trained one next to me - the best trained one pushes the others toward me. They were so well trained that I could drape the leashes over my shoulders and never have to worry about corrections.

I wish I could train the girls to walk that well now. <sigh>
I am smiling at your post because what you have experienced with Reuben, Mandy and Abby is exactly how we walk with our three Goldens. I think it is easier to walk three Goldens than it is to walk one because of the influence they have on each other. They stay close and right in line. I have often thought the best way to teach a pup to walk on leash is with two other dogs. They learn very quickly that way. Sometimes when we walk I will see another pup pushing his nose thru the slats of a fence or jumping up wanting to see whats going on as we walk by. Every dog I see I wish we could take with us. They truly love walking together. You can see how they hold their heads high and their eyes smile.

·
Owned by Buddy and Lady
86 Posts
Normally Buddy walks on the left, Lady walks on the right. If they are off lead that is the way they line up. However they will walk on either side or together if I feel it is safer and they really don't care as long as they are with us.

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
When I am walking all three, they walk in front of me. If I just have the boys, Jasper walks on my left and Danny on my right, but they walk there because they want to, I'm not concerned about the whole pack leader thing when I am walking them. If they want to move ahead of me, that's fine as long as they aren't pulling me. The only time I expect them to walk next to me in the heel position is when we are doing therapy visits. They understand the difference.

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
I don't think it's a pack leader thing either. We walk Penny on the left. Where she is in relationship to the cars depends on which side of the street we're walking. I don't think she can relate it to protecting because she can't comprehend the danger.

·
Official Trout Bum
4,216 Posts
I've always trained my dogs to walk on the left side as when I'm out hunting or fishing I normally carry a fly rod or a gun in my right hand. When I'm casting the fly rod I cast over my right shoulder and with the dog on the left side there's no concern in errantly hooking the dog. I think the dogs appreciate that... ;)

Just a guess but most people work from the right side so it just makes sense to have the dog on the left side out of the way.

Pete

1 - 18 of 18 Posts