Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before Cris and I ever had our first discussion about getting a puppy, he already had his name. We met on the golf course, and I thought Bogey was just adorable. But now that I know him a little better, a more appropriate name would have been Indy - as in independent. Or Columbus. Or Magellan.

The signs were all there when we picked him out at 5 weeks old and again when we brought him home at 8 weeks. But I was a fool in love and failed to think about the repercussions of falling for the explorer in the litter. His second day home, Bogey got his nickname, Bogey the Explorer. He is always off in search of something and has a mind of his own.

So now that you know your goldens personality, what SHOULD you have named yours?

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
My neighbor always accidentally calls Flora 'Flossie', which I think would have been the PERFECT name for her. Flossie sort of sounds like a name for a nice girl who's a little ditzy, and that is Flora to a T.

However, when Flora is around my guy friends, her name should be Flirt, because all she does is Flirt with the boys. ;)

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
My oldest girl, Tiny, should have been Tigger. My Toby should have been Eeyore.
But Tito's name fits him perfectly (it's Italian for "little giant").

·
Premium Member
16,438 Posts
I regret giving Tally a name that is too girly, bc I didnt think of it that way at the time. I almost named him Bauer.

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
geez, I don't think Tally is girlie at all...

I regret giving Tally a name that is too girly, bc I didnt think of it that way at the time. I almost named him Bauer.

·
Old Gold is the Best Gold
18,122 Posts
Hmmm.... I think they all suit them, but Brooklyn lends herself well to corny pet names like "Brookie-pie" and "Brookie-bear" (I know, I know... LOL)

If there is a name that means stubborn little witch, it could suit Holiday ;)

Rigby is not a Golden, but he deserves a much more noble name than I gave him. However, I wouldn't change it for the world. I think it is a great, unique name. I hate common names!

·
Debbie
644 Posts
Funny that this question should be on here today. Yesterday I posted pictures of Riley and everyone who commented called her a boy. I love her name though....it fits her.

·
shadow friend
3,886 Posts
My neighbor always accidentally calls Flora 'Flossie', which I think would have been the PERFECT name for her. Flossie sort of sounds like a name for a nice girl who's a little ditzy, and that is Flora to a T.

However, when Flora is around my guy friends, her name should be Flirt, because all she does is Flirt with the boys. ;)

An aside, why don't you have a sig of Flora? I mean, with your Carmella sig. She's so pretty but I never get to see her. :(

·
shadow friend
3,886 Posts
Max would be Hoover. Or Scooby. Or Moose. Or Goofy. All of those names fit him to a tee.

Hoover - our new vacuum cleaner
Scooby - loves food - any food - all food!!!
Moose - he's a big boy!!
Goofy - what a maroon!! Total goof ball, has the house in stitches everyday.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Barkley should be "Curly" (like the guy in Oklahoma) because of his beatiful curls. We almost named him Brady, a spin on his braided tail at the time of adoption. It has gotten bushy since then. He also has a good set of pipes on him and is a singer at heart--the doggie version of "Pavarotti". That name is a little too long to say in every day conversation, much less spell. If they ever come out with American Doggie Idol, our little curly boy is going to be famous!

Toby should be Barkley (he's LOUD) or the Tobynator (or Terminator) because he never met a toy he did not terminate within minutes.

·
Fergus Roy's dad
217 Posts
Fergus (2yr) for awhile would have been Doomaasballikker but he grew out of that stage

Farley (13wks) well we call him Farley McGruff because he is always walking around growling and barking, at nothing in particular, it's just his attitude.

·
Lucy & Dory's Mom
2,760 Posts
Lucy should have been Cuddles, but then she is our lovable, goofy redhead so Lucy fits too.

With Dory, it's still early to know what her name should have been.

·
Loving goldens since '95
7,004 Posts
I like this thread!

Molson was going to be named Romeo, which I'm happy I didn't. I think he would have fit the name looks-wise, but he just doesn't have the attitude of a Romeo!

As for what I should have named him, I can't think of anything that would have been better. I love that his name is unique because he is so unique too! It's funny that people recognize him by his name all the time wherever we go. When he was 4 months old, we had a baseball game over 2 hours from our house. 4 or 5 months later we were at the dog park in that town and someone asked what Molson's name was and said "we met another golden at the baseball diamonds when he was just a pup, was that the same one?" :) Crazy coincidence!

Sorry I got off topic in my rambling!

·
Registered
776 Posts
when we went to visit madison we had a whole list of names and couldn't decide on just one...we named her maddison because it was different and it was the first name my middle son came up with after we met her for the first time. my older son wanted to name her amber and since the breeder wanted a middle name we named her maddison amber....we think she suits her name a pretty girl with an attitude and the name just matches her LOL!!!!!! naming the dog was almost harder than naming the kids!!! LOL!!!!

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
Bridger should have been named after some brand of shredder - I see ours is an Auora - there must be some famous brand of shredder with an approp. name!!

but he is also Britches due to a little girl not understanding when I said his name was Bridger. We like lil' Britches & do call him that alot.

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
An aside, why don't you have a sig of Flora? I mean, with your Carmella sig. She's so pretty but I never get to see her. :(
Aw, thanks. I've tried making a nice signature/collage of Carmella and Flora together, but my computer doesn't have the software to do that, and I worry that if I make a signature of Flora as well as the signature of Carmella, then the whole thing will be giant.

She is my icon! :)

·
Registered
317 Posts
I think naming him after a beer would have been fitting, since he loves the stuff (not sure how he developed a taste for it since we never gave it to him but it's the only beverage that he will beg for, must be the smell I guess)

He is insanely cuddly and floppy, I think "Theodore E. Bear" would have been great. Maybe Paddington.

I don't really like how common of a name Murphy has turned out to be, but it definitely suits him!

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Sophie's name suits her because I feel Sophie emmanates "Sweet gentleness" but at the same time, I think we should have called her "Bunny" because she's the bunny my daughter wanted. Daughter wanted a bunny, and we decided to get a dog instead.

Duke was Duke when we got him, but it suits him as well (now) because his personality reminds me of the cartoon "Marmaduke", so I think of him as such. Yeah I know, different breed, but goofy lover just the same.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
What a cute topic! In Rusty's case it would have been " Shadow ". He is a velcro dog for sure. :--heart:
For Penny.. " Tigger "... boing boing boing . :--happy:
My bridge boy Buckwheat should have been " Barkwheat " :--crazy: ,
and Rocky should have been " Windtunnel " He had a habit of eating anything that was not moving, or even seriously slowed down and then passing toxic gas! :--sitnky:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts