Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Im highly upset what my golden did tonight ... i came home i forgot to take the trash out ... and i just tied it up ... well tundra got a hold of the whole entire trash and went wild... I had KFC tonight and all the bones that WAS in the trashbag is gone , also my wife had some fish from Kroger which i fried it was some buffalo ribs .. i saw pieces of bone on the coach and my house is trashed... he is only 7 1/2 months ... I've been reading this forum for a long time.. i read one thread that said your puppy must kno its surroundings so let him / her roam free at your house .. and its must kno what it can or cannot do ...correct? should i be worry about the chicken bone and Fish bone in Tundra's stomach ? he also did the number one and two in the house .. which im highly upset :mad:

·
Dad to Riley and Sam
256 Posts
Hi Im highly upset what my golden did tonight ... i came home i forgot to take the trash out ... and i just tied it up ... well tundra got a hold of the whole entire trash and went wild... I had KFC tonight and all the bones that WAS in the trashbag is gone , also my wife had some fish from Kroger which i fried it was some buffalo ribs .. i saw pieces of bone on the coach and my house is trashed... he is only 7 1/2 months ... I've been reading this forum for a long time.. i read one thread that said your puppy must kno its surroundings so let him / her roam free at your house .. and its must kno what it can or cannot do ...correct? should i be worry about the chicken bone and Fish bone in Tundra's stomach ? he also did the number one and two in the house .. which im highly upset :mad:
As much as you want to hear this, it's not the puppies fault. He is till very curious at 7 1/2 months. Learn from your mistakes,,I did. I was always leaving the trash at the door and take it out when I went out, the odd time I would forget too. Now when a full bag comes out, I take it straight to the bin. As far as the bones, keep a close eye for any hacking, yakking , or coughing. Check the poop for any bleeding. It wouldn't hurt to call the vet for some professional advice. Good luck and hope he can pass the bones alright.

·
Tess and Liza
6,075 Posts
I can understand that you are upset, as much about the food as about the rest. On the other hand, a 7 1/2 month old golden is still a pup, and a trashbag with all those enticing smells must have been very hard to resist...Free roam of the house at 7 1/2 months or not, I wouldnt' blame the trashbag on your pup...It must have smelled too nice not to open it and try. Personally I've never fed cooked chicken or fish to my pup, as she is still very young and I am very careful with her, so I would be a bit worried about that. I'm sure others will have more to say on your questions. Good luck, and try not to be too mad with him!

·
shadow friend
3,886 Posts
My Willow has eaten chicken bones before from her trash explorations and we've never had a problem with her choking/not passing them.

Mental note to self. Do not leave garbage out again. Puppies will be puppies. Even keeping on our toes as owners does not mean they will never get into things because they always do.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Sorry to be so late i replying but my 13 y.o. golden once ate a boston market chicken (cut up, but with meat and bone) and when i called the vet they said i was to give her about half a loaf of bread slices. this would coat the bones and allow them to pass through the digestive system well. she never suffered ill effects from the chicken, or the basket of easter egg candy or the bag of halloween candy. i always called her the trash can dog.
good luck

beth, moose and angel

·
Registered
7,753 Posts
One man's trash bag is another dog's buffet table. :)

I, too, try very hard not to leave things around the house that could possibly be dangerous to my dog or cause a big mess. We aren't perfect and our dogs won't be either. Perhaps he pooped in the house because of the chicken/fish?

·
Where The Bitches Rule
6,429 Posts
Lots oof things to discuss here.
1 - The pup is 7 1/2 minths old and it is common for them to accidents still at this age - even if they have not had one in months.
2 - I would keep a very close eye on the pup over the next few days. Obviously he had no issue swallowing the bones now you have to hope he is able to pass them without a problem. Any sign of distress - goes off his food, vomits, even diarrhea - I would be off to the vet for x-rays.
3 - It is great to allow the pup freedom to explore his surroundings - as long as you are there to supervise. Pups must earn their total freedom and 7 1/2 months old is very young to have done that already.
4 - Some dogs NEVER are trustworthy around trash/food. Some learn but others do not.

Hopefully this will be a "painless" lesson for both the pup and especially the owners. At this point from where I am sitting you were actually VERY fortunate.

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
Wellllll :) It's not the pups fault :) Dogs do what dogs do, and digging tasty morsels from the trash (that they would be able to smell probably a mile away), is what they do.

Goldens are natural trash diggers. You won't stop it, you will just have to prevent it.

I keep my cans gated up in the Foyer where they can't get to them.

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
I hate to say this, but it wasn't the puppy's fault. Puppies will get into everything and will. Chalk it up to lesson learned because I bet you don't forget to put the trash out next time.

No way should a puppy or young dog (in some cases older dogs) be allowed the run of the house unsupervised until yo are absolutely positive the house and dog is safe and then there may be the occasional messes. Crate, create a safe room or get an x-pen but you really need to keep him in a safe area when you cannot supervise his activities because he will get into everything.

My first golden tore up the linolieum floor in the kitchen in 10 unsupervised minutes. It can happen so fast. I have hardwood floors through out the house (we call them Sunny's floors) with area rugs (cheap ones).

·
Premium Member
18,639 Posts
To answer your question, "what should I do?"

Don't get mad at the puppy, he is just a baby still and trash is way too enticing to ignore. Be sure to put the trash out of his reach. Watch him for any stomach upset or change in behaviour, but he should be able to digest the bones without trouble.

Roaming the house is fine when you are there to supervise, he's like a human toddler at 7.5 months and will get into things. When you are not there or can't supervise him, restricting him to a puppy safe smaller area of the home is a good idea.

Take a step back and reinforce his house training, scheduled breaks out for potty, praise him really well when he goes outside, but don't punish him for accidents inside. The accident may have been the result of eating the trash.

Puppies will be puppies, I'm sure he thought he hit the jackpot with that trash bag! And, go do something fun with him to get over being irritated about the trash!

·
Angel Gage's Grandma
8,017 Posts
I would crate train Tundra. That will help with housetraining, as well as keep him (and your house) safe when you're not home.

My 11-year-old Lab/beagle will get into the trash if I forget to put it away when I leave the house, even when there is nothing tasty inside. So Tundra was just being a typical puppy.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks everyone... well right now he has a problem swallowing his food i think it is the fish bone.. but i will keep a close eye on him ... thanks for all the replys :)

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
I'll repeat what just about everbody else has said. It's not the dog's fault. At 7 months old, he is still very, very young and he needs to be either crated or baby gated in a puppy-proofed area when there is no one around to supervise him to prevent these kinds of things from happening again. It's also a safety issue for the pup. If he is crated or gated in a safe and secure area, he won't be able to get into anything that could be potentially dangerous to him

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
i have two 3 year olds and a 5 year old, if i were to leave out trash, they would have a field day. in fact nothing is safe on the table or counters. puppies need to be trained as well as their owners. my girls are still not allowed free roam of the house when i am at work, they are in a gated area.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Winnie is almost 8 years old and still loves garbage. Dogs are part scavenger, and part opportunistic. The goal is to prevent them from doing dangerous things. All of our trash cans, including the bathroom trash cans (Winnie loves that, too) have lids. The ones where you have to step on in order to open. Otherwise, he'll be in it, have a grand dog buffet. Get trash cans with lids, and call it a learning experience. It sounds like you're dog will be OK, and that's the important thing!

And in case you have cats, dogs like the litter box, too. Before we got a box with a lid, Winnie would at times have the evidence (litter) stuck to his nose. Depsite his trying to look innocent, his nose tattled on him!

·
Where The Bitches Rule
6,429 Posts
Thanks everyone... well right now he has a problem swallowing his food i think it is the fish bone.. but i will keep a close eye on him ... thanks for all the replys :)

If he is having any swallowing issues get him to a vet NOW!!

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
If he is having any swallowing issues get him to a vet NOW!!
DEFINITELY!!! If he is having trouble swallowing, he needs to get to a vet immediately! This is not a situation where you can wait around and see if it gets better! If your vet isn't open, get to an E-vet ASAP! :uhoh:

·
Premium Member
18,639 Posts
Any updates on Tundra, is he doing ok?

Just to make you feel better, I came home yesterday after being gone for a few hours and my 4 and 5 year old Goldens had empty and scattered the kitchen trash all over the house!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts