Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My babies have been on salmon oil, Sundown brand for months now and look great.

I got tired of decorating myself and the kitchen with the oil when I punctured the capsules... :curtain: and had an oppertunity to get free shipping from JB Wholesale, so I bought some Grizzly Salmon oil in the pump container.. Bottom line.. they hate it.. They look at their food, then me, then whine and go away. I have been putting just a tiny bit on it, but apparantly it taste like it smells.. :yuck:

Money is tight.. Is there a way to get them used to this more easily? Hopefully I haven't goofed up. :crossfing Thanks.

·
Registered
511 Posts
My babies have been on salmon oil, Sundown brand for months now and look great.

I got tired of decorating myself and the kitchen with the oil when I punctured the capsules... :curtain: and had an oppertunity to get free shipping from JB Wholesale, so I bought some Grizzly Salmon oil in the pump container.. Bottom line.. they hate it.. They look at their food, then me, then whine and go away. I have been putting just a tiny bit on it, but apparantly it taste like it smells.. :yuck:

Money is tight.. Is there a way to get them used to this more easily? Hopefully I haven't goofed up. :crossfing Thanks.
Why are you puncturing the capsules? I have done alot of research and have concluded the cheapest source of EPA/DHA is also arguably the highest quality source. Go to Walmart and buy Spring Valley fish oil gel caps. You can get the 1200mg caps in a twin pack (300 caps total) for $14.00. The fish oil in these caps is MEG3. Each cap has 360mg of EPA/DHA. I just throw the caps in Rocky's kibble and he woofs them right down. No fuss, no muss.

·
love my goofy goldens
2,431 Posts
I agree. I don't puncture the capsules, either. Just throw them in with their kibble and they gobble them up!

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
Try squirting the oil in a piece of bread. If they don't like that, also smear a little peanut butter on the bread at first.

·
Where The Bitches Rule
6,429 Posts
Dogs eat almost with their sense of smell as they do with the sense of taste so the key is to try and down play odor of the fish oil. If you are not chilling the fish oil I would do so, this will cut back slightly on the smell. Then you need to increase the aroma of the food itself. Depending what you are feeding there are different ways to do so. If you are feeding a wet/moist food you can heat it GENTLY in the microwave. If you are feeding a kibble try adding a gently heated broth )low sodium) to it or something reall smelly but very agreeable to dogs (tripe is a GREAT choice).
Once you are done with the liquid salmon oil I would return to the gel caps and give them whole. I give like a pill before they get breakfast.

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
Trying to get away from the fishy smell, I went with a lemon flavored Salmon oil...I got the 'look' and deep sighs too:p:.
The only way I can get them to eat it without fuss is to feed it with a salmon or mackerel or tuna 'topper'...they do love salmon! I use canned and alternate with beef and turkey.
I recently switched to Flax seed oil (minimal smell) but I'm not liking the results, much lower in Omega-3's too.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gee, here I thought I was doing something smart.. silly me.
I have to avoid the ones with soy in them, Rusty gets hot spots.. But they were doing so well on the others.. They scarfed down the food. Sigh...
Oh well, worse things have happened for sure. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Trying to get away from the fishy smell, I went with a lemon flavored Salmon oil...I got the 'look' and deep sighs too:p:.
The only way I can get them to eat it without fuss is to feed it with a salmon or mackerel or tuna 'topper'...they do love salmon! I use canned and alternate with beef and turkey.
I recently switched to Flax seed oil (minimal smell) but I'm not liking the results, much lower in Omega-3's too.
I read one study that said flaxseed (ALA) Omega 3's produced the same benefits as EPA/DHA after feeding for 3-4 months. EPA/DHA was better intitially, but after 3-4 months, benefits equalized. However, every other study/paper I have read says canines have difficulty converting ALA to usable EPA/DHA. Some studies say that some canines can't make the conversion at all making flaxseed sourced ALA useless.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
My three too Kimm! They all three wait patiently for both their fish oil capsule, and their glucosimine tablet as well. No fuss...they think it is quite the treat every morning!

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts

My reading has all said that most dogs get very little of the benefit from flax... they can't process it. Sorry your guys arent loving the lemon.... mine think it's heavenly. No picky eaters here.

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
Mine love fish oil too, they lap it up like its the most delicious thing in the world!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts