Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Humankind. Be both.
7,650 Posts
WOW. That's a serious, serious fight. I'd honestly be questioning if it's in the best interest of these two dogs to continue to ask them to live together? Definitely not fair to the dog who is consistently being attacked.

If it was just over food, it would be easier to manage, but since it's toys, too... that's a bit harder.

I'm concerned to read of getting a "training collar." If you mean an e-collar... ack! Please don't! Your dogs are stressed enough and it's VERY DIFFICULT to use an e-collar correctly. I personally NEVER see the need for one.

Training for both dogs is a great idea, but again, given that this last fight was so severe, it's not unreasonable to think these two bitches are capable of fighting to the death. Bitch to bitch aggression is often the most severe and most difficult to rehab.

If you look to a trainer, please find a qualified trainer who is well-versed in positive, humane training techniques and not someone who is going to come in and attempt to "correct" the behaviors out of the dog. Violence begets violence and coreective training may subdue outward symptoms, but won't address what's at the root of the behavior.

If you decide to rehome one, I'd suggest placing the more submissive of the two. The dominant one could do just fine as a single dog and then you don't have the liability of rehoming a dog with a very serious bite history under her belt.

So sorry you're going through this!

·
Humankind. Be both.
7,650 Posts
I see you're in Washington State - LOTS of great trainers up there! Not sure exactly where you are, but I'd highly recommend:

Kathy Sdao - Tacoma area (www.kathysdao.com) She's a certified applied animal behaviorist.

Steve & Jen White -- Woodinville area (www.rivendalelearningcenter.com)

Grisha Steward -- Seattle area (www.ahimsadogtraining.com)

Even if they aren't super close, call the closest one to you. Might be well-worth the drive or perhaps they can refer you to a colleague closer to where you are.

·
Humankind. Be both.
7,650 Posts
A remote control training collar so Abby will listen to command
Oh, please don't! I can all but gaurantee that in your situation, that would make problems worse, much worse.

What kind of training have the dogs had thus far? Have they been to classes? How many levels, etc.

Have both dogs had complete med work ups, including full thyroid?

·
Abby and Maddies Mom
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I see you're in Washington State - LOTS of great trainers up there! Not sure exactly where you are, but I'd highly recommend:

Kathy Sdao - Tacoma area (www.kathysdao.com) She's a certified applied animal behaviorist.

Steve & Jen White -- Woodinville area (www.rivendalelearningcenter.com)

Grisha Steward -- Seattle area (www.ahimsadogtraining.com)

Even if they aren't super close, call the closest one to you. Might be well-worth the drive or perhaps they can refer you to a colleague closer to where you are.
We are closest to the Tacoma area

·
2 goldens and a BMD
841 Posts
My older two males have had food aggression issues in the past. My trainer was over for dinner one night when they started going at it and was shocked. She didn't think either of them had in in them. They're last big fight we should have known it was coming -- the tension between them was building for a month prior.

They are now either fed in different rooms or at different times behind closed doors. I will never feed them near each other again as the last fight drew blood and required stitches. They can't be fed in crates near each other either as they'll still try to go at it.

High value treats can only be given when they each are in a separate area at least 15 feet apart. I'm on them if they try and move from their designated spot before both of them are finished.

Sorry you're dealing with this. It sucks but it can be managed. I know their warning signs and won't leave any high valued objects out. They're both crated when we're not home. I won't put them in a situation where things can escalate.

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
If it were me I would consider re-homing the submissive Golden. That sounds like such a deadly serious fight.

It would help you focus more on Abby to get you in the dominate role. (Leadership role for those who don't like that word "dominate")

I would never rehome a dog that caused such an injury to another dog. I personally think that such a dog is capable of harm to a child or adult and its not fair to pass that prospect on to someone else..

I'm sorry you had to go through that. I don't know what I would have done......fighting dogs terrify me.

·
Abby and Maddies Mom
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Oh, please don't! I can all but gaurantee that in your situation, that would make problems worse, much worse.

What kind of training have the dogs had thus far? Have they been to classes? How many levels, etc.

Have both dogs had complete med work ups, including full thyroid?
Ok I won't use the e-collar

they haven't had any training or obedience classes

they've had all there med work ups, last year Abby had TPLO surgery so she's had everything checked out.. I don't think they've had full thyroid.

·
Abby and Maddies Mom
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
My older two males have had food aggression issues in the past. My trainer was over for dinner one night when they started going at it and was shocked. She didn't think either of them had in in them. They're last big fight we should have known it was coming -- the tension between them was building for a month prior.

They are now either fed in different rooms or at different times behind closed doors. I will never feed them near each other again as the last fight drew blood and required stitches. They can't be fed in crates near each other either as they'll still try to go at it.

High value treats can only be given when they each are in a separate area at least 15 feet apart. I'm on them if they try and move from their designated spot before both of them are finished.

Sorry you're dealing with this. It sucks but it can be managed. I know their warning signs and won't leave any high valued objects out. They're both crated when we're not home. I won't put them in a situation where things can escalate.
I didn't know this happened between two males, I thought it was more a female alpha dominance. Thank you for your compassion its the hardest thing I've ever had to deal with, I feel guilty and so bad for my injured pup.. It's not fair to her to have to live her life fighting..

I understand about keeping the dominant dog... Abby does listen to us although there are times when we have to be stern, when they are fighting she doesn't listen for nothing..

·
Abby and Maddies Mom
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Mine stay in the heated garage with a dog door to the backyard when we're not home and have never had a problem outside.. It's only been inside and when we're around

·
Humankind. Be both.
7,650 Posts
We are closest to the Tacoma area
Oh good! Puh-lease consult with Kathy Sdao. I know her personally. She's a brilliant and gifted behaviorist!

·
Humankind. Be both.
7,650 Posts
It's not cheap. I think $150ish for a 2hr consult... but it's WAY CHEAPER than vet bills! The bulk of her practice is treating aggression, so she is more than qualified to assit you. She'll be honest too - painting the complete picture of what will be needed in terms of training and management and can help you decide of rehoming is in the best interest of all involved.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts