Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
4,904 Posts
My lab is a great "watch" dog. Now I honestly don't know she would "do" anything but she has a HUGE bark, and is GINORMOUS!!! If anyone attempted to come in seeing her in the window that would be a courageous step. Now I don't know she won't do anything either. She has never been tested. I do know she hates other dogs who make threatening noises at my other dogs.

I love MANY other breeds IMO you have to be honest with how much training and time you want to put in. GSD's, dobermans, many of these breeds are HIGH ENERGY and can make a golden look like a couch potato. I personally would never take one because I don't want to work that hard. My lab is the toughest breed I want to take on. Just my opinion but something to consider.

GSD's are very intense. They work hard but the must keep working. I have a friend with 7 of them. Her dogs are great but I must admit though her dogs are the nicest dogs I am leery of them. They are so intense, if you get between them and her it is like you don't exist and they may run you down to get to the object of their desire. Food for thought.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I recommend looking into Bernese Mountain Dogs and Greater Swiss Mountain Dogs if you haven't already done so. Both great breeds that might match the description you're looking for.

·
Registered
341 Posts
From what you are saying it seems like the Bernese Mountain Dog might be really good for you. SWEET dogs while with the family and out in public...and the ones I have been around have been wonderful with children and goldens...but are VERY protective of their territory when anyone they don't know comes around.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
I would think a Golden would get along with most breeds of dogs with normal temperaments. I would say it would be more important to match the temperment and energy level.. i.e. maybe not a young hyper Jack Russell with a laid back Golden.. Or. not a laid back English Bulldog to a hyper young Golden, etc. Concider what the breed was originally bred to do, too. Contrary to popular belief.. it isn't " All in how you raise them. ". Most likely as a pack there will be more of an " alert " to someone coming in.. You really don't want an aggressive dog.

·
Missing Selka So Much
17,303 Posts
I would love to have a GSD someday but at this stage in our lives DH and I don't have the energy for one. *sniff*

Guess I'll save that along with my Alaska trip for my next life. : )

·
Registered
824 Posts
We have Corgis (both a Pembroke and a Cardigan), a lab, and until recently a Border Collie (this is between us and my parents, we don't have 800 on our own haha) and all do well with the Goldens.

If I were going to get another breed it would be a Cardigan Corgi or a Bernese Mountain Dog, I am in love with them!

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
It's so funny that I'm getting a lot of mountain dog suggestions! They've actually been on my short list for quite a while. Swissies are absolutely gorgeous, but they seem a bit more stubborn and dominate than Bernese.

But yeah, I have been toying with the idea since before we decided to get a golden. I just don't think I've ever met one in person.

·
74 Posts
We've got a strange crew in our house - Darby is our 4 month old GR and Hans is our Miniature Dachshund! Hans is full grown, and Darby obviously has much more growing to do. They are a funny combo but honestly get along great. I think that once the dogs adjust to each other and realize they are going to be living together, they'll be fine. I laughed when you said Caleb would "hold the flashlight"...we always joke that Darby is useless in that regard because she'd just lick them to death. Hans, on the other hand, has quite the "Napolean Complex", despite tipping the scales at 8 lbs :) No matter what you decide, Caleb will love having a buddy!!

·
Luke, Maggie, and Tucker
3,045 Posts
I love Bernese Mountain Dogs. Before Tucker came along, I was planning to get one next summer. Now I'll have to wait a while, but I wouldn't trade Tuck for anything. Most days. ;)

·
Registered
292 Posts
We have a wonderful mutt, who is primarily Australian Kelpie, and she has been around several goldens and done well with all of them. I think that you should think about what type of dog will do well with your golden as opposed to the other way around. I've never had a golden that didn't love just about anyone they came into contact with :)

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
think that you should think about what type of dog will do well with your golden as opposed to the other way around. I've never had a golden that didn't love just about anyone they came into contact with :)
That's exactly what I've been thinking. Caleb loves everyone, but some dogs (and some people) are a bit put off by a gregarious, excitable, 50 lb puppy. :rolleyes: I know that he'll calm down a bit in the next couple years, but he'll always be a friendly, happy-go-lucky golden. I wouldn't have it any other way. But I really want our next dog to enjoy Caleb's personality rather than just putting up with it.

·
Maryland
2,806 Posts
Berners are great dogs. Not water dogs, tho. They are more "guarding" type personalities than Goldens are. They're also not as big as a Newf. They're really a Large breed, not a Giant. Although some are pretty big.

I think they're just beautiful, but you also have to beware of temperament issues. Actually, nowdays, that's the case with any breed.

·
Summer and Phoebe's mommy
690 Posts
I've been lucky enough to have had a variety of dogs growing up. I've had a staffie, doberman, German Sheppard, Rhodesian Rhidgeback, Maltese Poodles, Toy pom, Jack Russel, Fox Terrier and Siberian Husky.

As for getting on with all other animals, the German Sheppard and Rhodesian Rhidgebacks were actually really good. They never fought with other dogs or even the cats and were brilliant with the kids.

On the protection side of things, I don't know what we'd have done without our Rhidgebacks. Back in South Africa, while very pregnant with our first I was hanging up the washing one day. I was already very paranoid, but didn't see the man who'd let himself into our property and was sneaking up on me. My male Rhidgeback was stuck to me like glue (we were very close) and when this man appeared Spike went ballistic. I actually thought he was going to attack me because I hadn't seen this guy, but he flew past me like a demon possessed thing and this guy nearly had a heart attack. Of course, his excuse was that he was "looking for work". Anyway, Spike was even more protective over me after this.

Unfortunately we were robbed after our son was born, they stole everything. We weren't home at the time, and they injured the dogs. Anyway, they came back 6 months later, I was pregnant with our second son (first was only 10 months old). My female had this strange bark, like she was actually talking to me. I got out the shower, with only a towel wrapped around to see quite a few burglars trying to break in. Venus was going beserk and luckily when I told her to leave them she did (they normally stab dogs with pitch forks in South Africa). I threatened to do mortal damage and called the cops, alarm company and hubby. If Venus hadn't alerted me, I'd only have found them once they were inside. Who knows what they'd have do to my son and I. Spikey wasn't with us anymore at that point. He'd got ill not long after that guy walked onto our property and we lost him.

I don't think that the Rhidgebacks had any more energy than what Summer has. Just as loyal and we found pretty easy to train.

Good luck with your search and hope you find what you're looking for.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
On the protection side of things, I don't know what we'd have done without our Rhidgebacks. Back in South Africa, while very pregnant with our first I was hanging up the washing one day. I was already very paranoid, but didn't see the man who'd let himself into our property and was sneaking up on me. My male Rhidgeback was stuck to me like glue (we were very close) and when this man appeared Spike went ballistic. I actually thought he was going to attack me because I hadn't seen this guy, but he flew past me like a demon possessed thing and this guy nearly had a heart attack. Of course, his excuse was that he was "looking for work". Anyway, Spike was even more protective over me after this.

Unfortunately we were robbed after our son was born, they stole everything. We weren't home at the time, and they injured the dogs. Anyway, they came back 6 months later, I was pregnant with our second son (first was only 10 months old). My female had this strange bark, like she was actually talking to me. I got out the shower, with only a towel wrapped around to see quite a few burglars trying to break in. Venus was going beserk and luckily when I told her to leave them she did (they normally stab dogs with pitch forks in South Africa). I threatened to do mortal damage and called the cops, alarm company and hubby. If Venus hadn't alerted me, I'd only have found them once they were inside. Who knows what they'd have do to my son and I. Spikey wasn't with us anymore at that point. He'd got ill not long after that guy walked onto our property and we lost him.
OMG! How scary! I'm so glad that you had the dogs too protect you. That's terrible that the burglars hurt your pups.

We have a couple rigdebacks in our neighborhood and Caleb loves to play with them at the park. They get along well and play chase until Caleb gets too tired and flops over. :D I was talking with one of their owners last night and he said that no matter what, he can't wear his boy out for long. His pup is almost 2 years old right now and one of the sweetest dogs I've ever met. But he does seem to have a never ending supply of energy!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Rags would hold the flashlight, too! LOL! He loves all types of dogs. His favorite is my mom's Yorkie! I can't imagine having another breed, though. This is my first Golden and I think I'm sold forever...! Take kick boxing classes and get another Golden!

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Thanks so much for all the replies and suggestions.

GSDs can be awesome dogs, but I don't think they're the right breed for our family. Hubby and I are very calm, mellow, easy going people. I think a shepherd would be too much of a handful for us.

Actually, I wouldn't rule out a GSD for that reason. If you look for a pup that comes from show lines, as opposed to working lines, you'd be able to find one who will be fairly calm and easy-going.
I've had both. The ones from working lines (like my Gunner) will drive you insane if you don't give them a crazy amount of exercise. This dog is just coiled like a spring and always ready to go. Totally different from my last one, who was not from working lines. He was a big couch potato.

I would suggest, also, if you might end up considering a GSD, insist on meeting both parents. You would never have to worry about aggression with your own family (GSDs are unmatched when it comes to loyalty) but you'll want to see how accepting of strangers both parents are. They WILL protect you when there's a legitimate threat, but you want to make sure that they aren't unnecessarily aggressive towards strangers. Once you're properly introduced, they should be friendly at best and aloof at worst.

I know my opinion is a bit biased, having grown up with GSDs, but I think they're just the best! And they're great companions for Goldens.
Good luck with your decision!

·
Registered
142 Posts
My parents have a lab and a shiztu (sp?). Their lab gets along great with the shiztu but my goldens don't really even pay attention to him.

·
Summer and Phoebe's mommy
690 Posts
OMG! How scary! I'm so glad that you had the dogs too protect you. That's terrible that the burglars hurt your pups.

We have a couple rigdebacks in our neighborhood and Caleb loves to play with them at the park. They get along well and play chase until Caleb gets too tired and flops over. :D I was talking with one of their owners last night and he said that no matter what, he can't wear his boy out for long. His pup is almost 2 years old right now and one of the sweetest dogs I've ever met. But he does seem to have a never ending supply of energy!
Well, I suppose ours had 7 acres to run around so they probably didn't seem to have too much energy. They were an amazing breed though.

Yes, unfortunately in South Africa we have dogs as protection (along with electric fences, security companies, weapons). When they first broke in, they sprayed something in our dogs eyes and when I got home and found we'd been burgled, the dogs were hiding, and couldn't see properly. The vet said it wasn't serious and they were fine a couple days later. But our neighbours were robbed one night and they stabbed her Rhidgeback with a pitch fork. We were terrified they'd do the same to our dogs. But ours did listen to us, when I called Venus I was pleased she wasn't too upset by the burglars to ignore me and go for them. Don't know what they'd have done to her. So glad to be out of there.

Good luck with your search. The right dog is out there for you. ;)

·
Cheeky Curmudgeon
1,046 Posts
Based on the requirements you have listed so far, I thought I'd try the BestDog selector at http://www.glowdog.com/bestdog/

There were some traits that you didn't specify in terms of size, amount of exercise, grooming, intelligence, intensity, emotional stability, and obedience so I had to make an educated guess.

Assuming you want a decent size (medium+) dog, the top three were a Standard Poodle, Bernese Mountain Dog, and Bouvier des Flandres

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Based on the requirements you have listed so far, I thought I'd try the BestDog selector at http://www.glowdog.com/bestdog/

There were some traits that you didn't specify in terms of size, amount of exercise, grooming, intelligence, intensity, emotional stability, and obedience so I had to make an educated guess.

Assuming you want a decent size (medium+) dog, the top three were a Standard Poodle, Bernese Mountain Dog, and Bouvier des Flandres
Ooh! That's a nifty site! Thanks!

I plugged in my info and the number one dog that it recommended to me was....:drummer:....

Newfoundland!

followed by:
2 = Saint Bernard,
3 = Bouvier,
4 = Bernese Mountain Dog,
5 = Flat Coated Retriever.

Cool! Now I think I should go meet some Newfs and some Berners in person. :eek:

21 - 40 of 49 Posts