Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

What kind of leash and other stuff ?

702 views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  Blondie 
#1 · (Edited)
We are going to get our new baby girl in 2 weeks. She is going to have the company of my 4 beautiful persians :)

We already chose a training school since I want her to start right away.

This wednesday we are going to buy severall stuff for her (bed, some things for her to chew and her leash).

I need your precious advise regarding:

- What kind of leash do you advise ?

- What type of toys or other stuff for her to chew? (I remember a couple of years ago there were some type of bones that they could eat and also some kind of stocks)

- Do you think it is any good protecting the chair legs so that she doesn't do too much damage ? :)

- We are also thinking of buying an puppy trainer in order for her to do her stuff in there until she gets used to the routine of the house (we leave at 8:15 and return at 18:00h). Do you think it is a good idea ?

Thanks for your help !

See less See more
#2 ·
I really like a nice leather leash. It costs a little more, but it should last forever and feels much better on your hands than a nylon one.

For toys, I don't think you can go wrong with having several kongs. Those you can stuff and freeze to keep your dog occupied. Antlers are also really popular.

If by puppy trainer, you mean pads that the dog pees on, I don't think that is the best way to go. Is there any way you can arrange for a dog walker or someone to let the pup out once or twice during the day? That's a long time to leave a puppy alone. A young dog can get into a lot of trouble in that amount of time.

#3 ·
8-6, eek! Are there dog walkers over where you are? Someone to spend time with her during the day?

I'd get a light weight leash at first. If the clip is too heavy it will pull down too much I find. Something cheap and later you can replace it with a nicer leather one or whatever you prefer.

#4 ·
A young puppy should not be alone that long. When Izzy was that young, I would come home from work every 2 hours to take her out of the crate. 10 hours.......I wouldn't even leave an adult dog alone that long. Think about finding someone to take her out several times a day. It is not fair to the pup.

#5 ·
Its really an exciting time isn't it!?

So, we used as was suggested just an inexpensive leash and collar because they do outgrow them quickly.

Toys..both mine really loved the squeaky toys, they have some unstuffed ones if you end up with a shredder ;) Our 4 month old really LOVES his Egg Baby toys. Only the eggs though. Frozen kongs are also a good idea, our pup was never too interested in them but our older girl loved them. I always steer clear of the rope toys and any toy with knitted threads that stick out. The rope toys Ive read horror stories about, and the yarn toys are the one toy my older girl will pull out each thread and eat it.
With adult supervision..... I like to give the pup a bully stick, one much longer than the length of their head-to-tip of the snout. And as soon as they get smaller than those measurements, they get handed down to my much smaller Maltese. As pups they can chew chew chew. As they get older and eat them up in 20 min than its just to expensive to give daily.

Im not sure what to suggest with housebreaking if the pup will be alone longer than 6 hours.....or even 4. I was lucky in that we usually always have someone home here. Some have used the pee pads successfully in the beginning. My worry here with a Golden pup is chewing the pad and shredding and eating it ...its possible, and that could be trouble. I wonder if you couldn't get a nice neighbor to come over and let the pup outside a few times a day on the days you work?

#6 ·
I fully agree that is way too long for a puppy to be left alone. Do you have anyone who could stop by and take her outside and spend some time with her while you're at work? When our guys were that young, we were taking them out at least every hour to go potty. I work from home, so it was easy for us to do that. If you don't have a good friend or family member who can't stop by to let the pup out, would you be able to do it during a lunch break or something? I am not a fan of training pads whatsoever. They encourage the puppy to do their business indoors when they really need to learn that outdoors is the place for that. Once they get accustomed to using the pads and going potty indoors, it can be a tough habit to break when you want them to go strictly outside.

As for a leash, I like the 6-foot nylon ones. Kongs and Nylabone toys are great for puppies. Stuffed toys are also good as long as you pup doesn't try to destroy them like our guys do. Just make sure that the toys you get aren't small enough that your puppy can potentially swallow or even choke on them. Also, definitely be sure to get a crate so your pup will be safe when you're not home or unable to keep an eye on her. I could never get through puppyhood without crates.

#7 ·
I love leather leashes. I pnly have one but boy is it nice. I am currently using old dog collars as BaWaaJige is growing to fast. I have bought him 4 collars in the last 6 weeks..Yikes I can not afford to keep doing that.

That is a long time to leave the pup alone but if you have a kitchen or bathrrom that you could put her in and then lay papers down she might get the hang of pottying on them and you could work on going outside during the evenings and weekends. It would be nice if you could find someone to come over during the day to interact with the pup.

#8 ·
Thanks

Thanks for all your help !

The puppy will go outside each morning and in the afternoon.

I will try my best to go home during lunch time for a month (my working is 7.5 miles from home in the middle of the city so it is about 30 minutes each travel).

We do have someone that goes house cleaning at leas once a week and I will pay an extra 30 minutes for a walk on that day.

Although we live in a very large codominium and we do have severall people in their houses every day we cannot even ask for something like this.

That is THE shocking difference that I see between you and most of the Europeans. Here everyone has their own individual lifes and we do not have a good and healthy neighbour relationship.

#9 ·
Thanks for all your help !

The puppy will go outside each morning and in the afternoon.

I will try my best to go home during lunch time for a month (my working is 7.5 miles from home in the middle of the city so it is about 30 minutes each travel).

We do have someone that goes house cleaning at leas once a week and I will pay an extra 30 minutes for a walk on that day.

Although we live in a very large codominium and we do have severall people in their houses every day we cannot even ask for something like this.

That is THE shocking difference that I see between you and most of the Europeans. Here everyone has their own individual lifes and we do not have a good and healthy neighbour relationship.
Is there any way you can take the first 2 weeks of your puppy being home off from work? Because really, 8-6 is way too long for a baby puppy to go without being able to go to the bathroom. In fact, she WILL go to the bathroom, in her crate, which will upset her, and you will have a much more difficult time housetraining her in the long run.

A baby puppy needs to go out about once an hour while learning to be housetrained. And then once she has the hang of it, needs to go out at least every 4-5 hours. Their little bladders are just too small and immature to hold for hours and hours.

Is there no one at all that can help? Maybe ask at your vets if one of the vet techs want to earn some extra money?

#10 ·
Have you considered rescuing an older dog? This seems like an awful lot of stress for a new puppy to undertake. You have to be fair to the puppy. If its a problem for you to get home mid-day to take your puppy outside and you have no one to help, then house training is not going to go well. I wouldn't even consider the puppy pads or one of those indoor gadgets. It will only set you back longer in the house training department. I hope you re-think this whole puppy idea. Someone wrote a post recently that they needed to rehome their puppy, because at the time they got the puppy it was convenient, then when the son went back to school, the puppy became a burden. Please reconsider.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.