Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
I named Duke because he weighed 17lbs at 7 weeks old so I knew he was going to be big. I just thought Duke was a good big dog name. I named Bailey after the little girl that dies of cancer in the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants.

·
Registered
209 Posts
We named Payton after the late great Walter Payton. I wanted a female and we are all huge Bears fans so we were trying to think of a player's name that would work for a girl. For some reason Ditka or Butkus just didn't seem to work! ;)

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
Bridger (yeah, I didn't really think about Rainbow Bridge)
had name before dog - walking along thinking about my future goldie - thinking gold, thought Golden Gate Bridge, then Jim Bridger, famous mountain man.

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
Brady is after Tom Brady of the NE Patriots. A very common name for dogs in the Boston area.

·
Love my Golden Boys!!
7,076 Posts
My first dog was a Samoyed and I loved the name Dakota so that's what it was. In keeping with the United States theme (and I am Canadian by the way), I also liked the name Reno so that became my first GR's name; second one (in keeping with the theme) was Phoenix; then Austin (hubby still thinks he's named after football coach, Kent Austin) and finally Lincoln. I loved the name Lincoln but Austin just didn't look like a Lincoln when we got him.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Bogey was named after golf, and Ace's name was kind of a two-birds-one-stone name. My husband is a tennis coach, but we met playing golf, and Ace fit both sports. We plan to always keep a sports theme going with our dogs.

·
A.k.a. Jennifer.
230 Posts
Jupiter is named after my favorite planet. Also, I have had this recurring dream about having a reddish golden retriever named Jupiter for about 2 years now. So he really is a dream come true!

·
Fist time GR owner
12 Posts
My Husband always wanted a GR and I kept fighting him on it just because I didn't think it was the right time to have a puppy.

One day while driving he kept asking me for one, and I was giving in and said jokingly "Fine, if we get one we're getting a girl and her name is going to be Holly" It was just a joke, I have no idea why that name came into my head, but one week later I gave him his puppy for Christmas - and he just said "yeah she's a Holly" and it just stuck. No real reason other than that :)

But we just love her, I can't imagine I almost didn't let this pup into our lives. :p:

·
Where The Bitches Rule
6,429 Posts
I'll explain Oriana's name origin.
After losing Kizmet I was looking for a bitch that if all worked out I would be able to breed back to one of two boys from my breeding that were still intact as I did not have any other female that I could continue "my line" with. So for this reason the name had to be something "special". After a lot of research I had narrowed it down to a couple of possibilities but nothing really seemed like the one. Then I came across Oriana and fell in love with it. In Gaelic it means golden, flaxen and in Latin means rising as in sunrise. So I decided on Morninglo's Sunrise At Ambika. Morninglo is the kennel name of her breeder and Ambika is my kennel name. Kind of like a new start for us. And for all those who do obedience and wonder what I use in the ring, I use Oriana. I do not shorten it.

·
Tess and Liza
6,075 Posts
Tess is short for Theresa,' harvester' in Greek. Tess is born in October, so that seemed fitting. Her official name is "Broadway's Call Me Tess", because the litter theme is music/songs, and there was a musical "Tess" on Broadway (NY), where one of the songs was: Call Me Tess. The kennel's name is Broadway, so everything came together!

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'm from Brazil, and it's pretty hard to find a Golden Retriever in this Country (I live in North, and i had to buy mine from South), I'm a Big Fan Of One Piece, and their ship is called Thousand Sunny, this is the name of my Golden (Well, just in the paper, we call him Sun), because the breed brights in mind (They are very intelligent) and in body (Duh! They are Golden). That's why he's Sun, it's a Uncommon name here, and it's sound is related with Sam, so it's just fine in Brazil.
And well, I had to talk a lot with my mother to get one, just like i want one puppy since I was 10, i now I'm 15... 5 years of a long conversation.

Sun= Sol in portuguese

·
Registered
4,878 Posts
Jack isn't exactly the most uncommon name, but Jackson has been one of my favorite names ever since Steel Magnolias came out. (I just wanted a little blond boy named Jackson!) I also love Jack London and The Call of the Wild is one of my favorite books. We were deciding between Jack and Toby for our pup and then our little guy was born right before halloween so that clinched it. We're including The Call of the Wild in his AKC name :)

·
Registered
168 Posts
I named my puppy Jake after a guy on the Deadliest Catch show. Plus I've heard a lot of dogs named Jake and I really liked it and just stuck to that.

·
Super mom! ;)
129 Posts
McGwire was named after Mark McGwire, the St. Louis Cardinals hitter whom I saw hit his 62nd home run, beating Roger Maris' record. (BTW my friend caught the ball and gave it back!!!)

Mickey is named after Michelob Amber Bach the beer. Why? Because his mom was Amber and we were from St. Louis, home of AB where Michelob is made. DH wanted Ozzie for Ozzie Smith, but I didn't let him because I didn't want the sports theme, now I kind of regret it because Mickey is such a ball dog.

Love this thread as we think about what to name our next pup!

·
Registered
341 Posts
Our first Golden was name Riker after the character Commander William Riker on Star Trek: The Next Generation. We all loved the show in 1996. It was a great name because it was unique. The only thing our NY friends kept thinking we named him after the Prison Rikers Island.

Riley was named after the Character Riley in the National Treasures movies. He was the plucky sidekick character. We also named him this because it was so close to Riker we felt in a way to honor him because he was such a wonderful dog for 13 years. Also, we felt like we would call the new pup Riker and this way we catch ourselves with RI and finish Ley instead ker. So far it is working out.

There is a Jean Luc Picard and Jean Luc Picard, JR. on the boards here and I exchanged PM's with the owner about how we both named our dogs after a Star Trek-TNG character. I loved how she named JR because Jean Luc her first dog was great as well.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Hoover-I don't think I have to explain!!:) When we first got him everyone would ask if he was named after the president. So his registered name is "Sanabil's We're not Talkin' Herbert"

1 - 20 of 58 Posts